Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What are you reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reading The Things They Carried. It's one of DH's favorite books. I like it, but holy cow is it heavy. Was reading it in the hair salon on Saturday and had to put it down. Oof.

Comment

• Originally posted by rufflesanddots View Post
      Reading The Things They Carried. It's one of DH's favorite books. I like it, but holy cow is it heavy. Was reading it in the hair salon on Saturday and had to put it down. Oof.
      Yeesh. I bought the audioversion when it was an Audible daily deal last year. Brian (Bryan?) Cranston is the narrator so I was excited. I haven't tackled it yet because of what you mentioned above. I know it's a cornerstone of modern literature but sometimes I just want Neil Gaiman or David Sedaris to read me stories that don't require a lot of emotional involvement! Once I have a few consecutive happy books under my belt, I'll circle back around to it and prepare for the weight!

I just finished "Furiously Happy" by Jenny Lawson. It was funny and honest, but honestly was a little bit manic. I didn't like it as much as her first.

I'm also just getting into "Kitchens of the Great Midwest" and so far it's great. Also listening to audio version of "Fragile Things" and as always, Neil Gaiman is everything.
      Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

• Has anyone read The Spirit Catches & You Fall Down? I picked it up from my neighborhood's lending library. At this point it's reading more like a biography than a novel. Hard to get into with all the medical details.

I am of course, also reading another Atwood novel. Edible Woman, after finishing her September release The Heart Goes Last. At this rate I'm in danger of reading all of her novels before the year end (11/15)

Comment

• Originally posted by MAPPLEBUM View Post
          Has anyone read The Spirit Catches & You Fall Down? I picked it up from my neighborhood's lending library. At this point it's reading more like a biography than a novel. Hard to get into with all the medical details.
          This was required reading for DH's whole med school class, so I read it too. I thought it was important and interesting, but I didn't love reading it.
          Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

• Currently obsessed with Oscar Wilde. Thinking about reading any Austen or Brontë novels I haven't yet

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
            Grace

Comment

• How did you like The Heart Goes Last? It's on my list. I didn't care for Edible Woman.
              Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

• I'm pretty much only reading books palatable to my 7 year old. I read them out loud. Right now we are reading The Phantom Tollbooth. It's pretty awesome and I think suitable for an adult read too.
                Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

• I love The Phantom Tollbooth! Can't remember how many times I read that as a kid!

I just finished Armada last night. Total gamer fantasy! I loved it!! I just started When She Woke, a cross between The Handmaiden's Tale and The Scarlet Letter. It doesn't sound like it's going to be really original, but I liked the sample I downloaded.
                  Laurie
                  My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

• Finished my binge reading of all the Louis Penny mystery series. They are simplistic plots, but very Agatha Christie-esque. It's a "wholesome" change from the bloody crime novels I'm used to devouring.

Followed up with Robert Galbraith (JK Rowling) two mysteries. Both enjoyable. I'm in the last half of the second one The Silkworm. Good plots, rich detective/assistant character, lighthearted at spots. I'm glad she's still writing.

Angie
                    Angie
                    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

• Originally posted by MrsK View Post
                      How did you like The Heart Goes Last? It's on my list. I didn't care for Edible Woman.
                      It was a fun, quick read. Not nearly as engaging characters as MaddAdam. Definitely a light read, though. I went through it in a day or two.

I'm liking Edible Woman ok, interesting that so many of her hot button themes are still relevant decades later.

I just ordered one of Annie Dillard's memoir types. Haven't read her since college so we'll see.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post
                        Finished my binge reading of all the Louis Penny mystery series. They are simplistic plots, but very Agatha Christie-esque. It's a "wholesome" change from the bloody crime novels I'm used to devouring.

Followed up with Robert Galbraith (JK Rowling) two mysteries. Both enjoyable. I'm in the last half of the second one The Silkworm. Good plots, rich detective/assistant character, lighthearted at spots. I'm glad she's still writing.

Angie
                        I really enjoyed those too (Galbraith). They're light and fun, and she has a real gift for dialogue. Looking forward to the next one this fall.

I'm attempting to read "The Girl in the Spider's Web"... it's not great so far.
                        Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

• I'm glad you brought up the Galbraith books-- I read the first and really liked it. Looking for a book now, so good timing for me!! I enjoy the character development and since I'm always reading HP to someone it seems, this is a nice other side of JK.
                          Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

• Originally posted by oceanchild View Post
                            This was required reading for DH's whole med school class, so I read it too. I thought it was important and interesting, but I didn't love reading it.
                            That makes sense. I'm not sure if I'll keep wading through it. I've read plenty of books where plot is overshadowed by details or scenery but details of medicine...just not that interesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by MAPPLEBUM View Post
                              That makes sense. I'm not sure if I'll keep wading through it. I've read plenty of books where plot is overshadowed by details or scenery but details of medicine...just not that interesting.
                              That was required reading for my health communication course in grad school. It wasn't my favorite, but another we read, 'mountains beyond mountains' was much better IMO. I really enjoyed that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by WolfpackWife View Post
                                That was required reading for my health communication course in grad school. It wasn't my favorite, but another we read, 'mountains beyond mountains' was much better IMO. I really enjoyed that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                I'm sticking with it, slowly.
                                Read Sheila Heti's How Should One Be over the weekend. I hated it so much got it over with as quickly as possible. I can't believe she got such positive reviews for it. Reading George Sand's Marianne now and then back to Atwood.

Comment

Working...
                                X