Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What are you reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MAPPLEBUM View Post
    So I read that famous DF Wallace quote from Infinite Jest and ordered the book. Apparently it's as incomprehensible as Ulysses? Is this true? It just came in the mail. Should I order a reader companion? [MENTION=1498]MrsK[/MENTION]?

I don't know that I'll get to it anytime soon. Watched this bomb interview between Zadie Smith and Chimananda Adiche so I ordered Americanah. I've read mixed reviews of Smith's writing but holy cow is she one cool chick.
    I've met Zadie Smith. She struck me as cool and introverted to the point of being almost rude. She was just starting to become prominent at the time. I loved her first novel White Teeth. She refused to discuss the Islamic fundamentalist storyline post 9/11, basically saying she wouldn't have written it after 9/11. Something she poked fun of in her youth had suddenly become sinister. I didn't like her second novel, " Autograph Man" but I've enjoyedthe anthologies she's edited.

Americanah is on my reading list. I tried to persuade my book club to read it but they were uninterested.

I've never read Infinite Jest but I wouldn't be opposed to reading notes on a book I found difficult even to just give me an orientation.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrsK View Post
      I've met Zadie Smith. She struck me as cool and introverted to the point of being almost rude. She was just starting to become prominent at the time. I loved her first novel White Teeth. She refused to discuss the Islamic fundamentalist storyline post 9/11, basically saying she wouldn't have written it after 9/11. Something she poked fun of in her youth had suddenly become sinister. I didn't like her second novel, " Autograph Man" but I've enjoyedthe anthologies she's edited.

Americanah is on my reading list. I tried to persuade my book club to read it but they were uninterested.

I've never read Infinite Jest but I wouldn't be opposed to reading notes on a book I found difficult even to just give me an orientation.

It was White Teeth that became popular while she was in college? It sounds by her interviews that it took some adjusting becoming popular over night. I'm interested in both writers, but ordered Americanah because it had less negative reviews!

Ordered a companion to IJ -- "Elegant Complexity" -- I really wish I could take a class on it. There's no way I'll be able to get to it before the summer. But at least I'll have it in case I'm ready to take up a project, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by MAPPLEBUM View Post
        It was White Teeth that became popular while she was in college? It sounds by her interviews that it took some adjusting becoming popular over night. I'm interested in both writers, but ordered Americanah because it had less negative reviews!

Ordered a companion to IJ -- "Elegant Complexity" -- I really wish I could take a class on it. There's no way I'll be able to get to it before the summer. But at least I'll have it in case I'm ready to take up a project, right?
        I think she was in her early 20th when White Teeth took off.

Comment

• Originally posted by peggyfromwastate View Post
          Is this book any good?? I have teenagers... And a young adult... I just can't quite enjoy talking to them. (Is that bad to say? Probably...)

I'm reading "The Depressed Child". It's delightful. Unfortunately I am getting a lot of clarity about why my ds11 is so miserable. He's massively depressed...
          I love Anthony Wolf, so this book is on my to-read list as my boy rounds the corner toward double digits (sob). I'd Listen to my Parents if they'd Just Shut Up
          Alison

Comment

• I'm still trying to get through "Ready Player One." I don't know if it's for me, but some parts grab me and pull me in, which is enjoyable!

I finished "A Little Life" which was wonderful.

I started "Among the Ten Thousand Things" last night after hearing it discussed on a "what to read next" podcast and am enjoying it so far.

I ordered "Peace Like a River" yesterday and it should show up on Monday. Looking forward to that.
            Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

• I finished The Kitchen House a couple days ago and I have a book hangover. It was a very engaging book. Now I'm reading A Spool of Blue Thread for my book club. I'm about a 5th into it and my mind keeps circling back to The Kitchen House.

Comment

• [MENTION=4422]MAPPLEBUM[/MENTION], I've made my way back to Middlemarch in the past few days. Between the intrigue of the couple who love each other but can't marry because of questions of class and fortune and propriety; the couple with money problems stemming from trying to live a dawkter lifestyle on a trainee income; and the love triangle of two men pursuing plain but good-hearted Mary, I am actually really into it right now!
                Alison

Comment

• Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
                  @MAPPLEBUM, I've made my way back to Middlemarch in the past few days. Between the intrigue of the couple who love each other but can't marry because of questions of class and fortune and propriety; the couple with money problems stemming from trying to live a dawkter lifestyle on a trainee income; and the love triangle of two men pursuing plain but good-hearted Mary, I am actually really into it right now!
                  You make the book sound so fun!! I probably won't go back to it until this summer. I'm still reading, but less dense novels that don't require so much effort! Right now I'm in the middle of Half a Yellow Sun, not as engaging as Americanah but still good. I think I'm going to read some Zadie Smith after this.

Comment

• All the Light We Cannot See. Only 100 pages left. I don't want it to end.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by rufflesanddots View Post
                      All the Light We Cannot See. Only 100 pages left. I don't want it to end.

Yes! But the suspense is marvelous, isn't it?
                      [MENTION=4422]MAPPLEBUM[/MENTION], if you are reading Zadie Smith, I highly recommend you start with "White Teeth." The "Autograph Man" is meh.

Comment

• Originally posted by rufflesanddots View Post
                        All the Light We Cannot See. Only 100 pages left. I don't want it to end.

I just started it! Only about 70 pages in though so I haven't gotten all the way hooked yet.

Just finished The Selection and put The Elite on hold at the library. It's like Hunger Games meets The Bachelor. I'm such a sucker for YA
                        Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

• Just switched tracks. Reading "Under the Influence". Joyce Maynard is coming to my book club next month.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrsK View Post
                            Yes! But the suspense is marvelous, isn't it?
                            @MAPPLEBUM, if you are reading Zadie Smith, I highly recommend you start with "White Teeth." The "Autograph Man" is meh.
                            Thanks, it's on it's way

Comment

• Just finished "Among the Ten Thousand Things" which started out great but quickly petered out. I'm not thrilled I spent like $11 for the Kindle version.

Started "The Kitchen House" and am 50 pages in. Liking it so far, hoping it picks up.
                              Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by WolfpackWife View Post
                                Just finished "Among the Ten Thousand Things" which started out great but quickly petered out. I'm not thrilled I spent like $11 for the Kindle version.

Started "The Kitchen House" and am 50 pages in. Liking it so far, hoping it picks up.
                                The Kitchen House definitely picks up pace.

Comment

Working...
                                X