Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What are you reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finished "Under the Influence" and "A Spool of Blue Thread". Also finished "Man's Search for Meaning" this week. Started "After You".

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

• Finished "After You" and "The Bird Box". Starting "The Shoemaker's Wife". Who else is reading?

Comment

• Just finished "In the time of the butterflies" about life under Trujillo. It was a really good read - engrossing and well written.
        Enabler of DW and 5 kids
        Let's go Mets!

Comment

• I've been playing Bejeweled when I could be reading. I need to mine this thread for book ideas.
          Alison

Comment

• I'm trying to read a 600-page history of the House of Representatives. It's taking a long time.

I also recently read "Unfinished Business: Women Men Work Family" by Anne-Marie Slaughter, which I thought was really excellent. And Rainbow Rowell's Landline, which I enjoyed (and much lighter than this other nonsense, yeesh).
            Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

• I'm connecting with this book this morning as I await lectures starting.uploadfromtaptalk1464678517685.jpg
              Using Tapatalk

Comment

• Finishing up "Yes Please" by Amy Poehler

Comment

• Shocked and dismayed to hear this morning of Gene Logsdon's passing, so I suppose I will have to pick up my copy of "Living at Nature's Pace" that I never got very far on. He was an amazing author and essayist, I just didn't always have the motivation to delve into the nonfiction ponderings he did best. But I do think the world is the poorer without him in it.
                  Alison

Comment

• The Strange Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, The Art Forger, and Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrsK View Post
                      Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

What did you think of this? I was disappointed and had no interest reading the next one.
                      -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
                      Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
                      Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by L.Jane View Post
                        What did you think of this? I was disappointed and had no interest reading the next one.
                        It wasn't what I expected. I read it because DrK wants to see the movie. The movie previews are whimsical and charming so I didn't expect the book to be so frightening. The first half of the book really freaked me out and I don't think I want to see the movie. I like the author's idea of writing a novel inspired by creepy old photographs. Ultimately, by the end of the novel, I was taken in and I'd probably read more. For now, I'm having a bit of a book hangover. I want to start my next book but my mind is still with Miss Peregrine's.

The next one on my list is Ready Player One.

Comment

• Dh really liked Ready Player One.
                          Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

Comment

• Invisible Influence.

Meh. It wasn't as good as many other academic topics of social psychology translated to the masses.
                            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

• Harry Potter and the Cursed Child!
                              Laurie
                              My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

• On my way to Baltimore I read The Tiger's Wife by Téa Obreht. On my way home I read Oliver Twist. I recommend the former for its magical realism and its medical themes. As for the latter, I find more and more evidence that school ruins classics. Every classic novel I have read as an adult has been wholly enjoyable. And why not? The books, for the most part, were written as entertainment with a side of philosophy and politics, not as fodder for inspection and dry meaningless essays. :/ Oliver was a page turner, with the mystery of the young orphan's connections, and the amorphous clues and hints of what would ultimately tie together the various characters, some gracious and some unsavory, that arose in their disparate settings and plot lines...
                                Last edited by spotty_dog; 09-05-2016, 08:54 PM.
                                Alison

Comment

Working...
                                X