Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What are you reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the second book of the MadAdam trilogy. Enjoying it way more than the first (but maybe that's because I read it right after Handmaid's Tale? Hard to top that one)

Also picked up my financial read for 2015: Trend Following. An exhaustive view of an investment strategy very much at odds with our's. I can tell I'll learn a lot though.

Comment

• Originally posted by MAPPLEBUM View Post
      In the second book of the MadAdam trilogy. Enjoying it way more than the first (but maybe that's because I read it right after Handmaid's Tale? Hard to top that one)

Also picked up my financial read for 2015: Trend Following. An exhaustive view of an investment strategy very much at odds with our's. I can tell I'll learn a lot though.
      I'm glad you gave it a chance.
      Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrsK View Post
        I'm glad you gave it a chance.
        I'm loving Year of the Flood! Oryx & Crake was just a little slow and conventional but I can hardly put down YOTF. Will probably go get MadAdam this afternoon.

Comment

• I just reread The Time Traveler's Wife for the billionth time. I love that book so much. I also realized the bookmark stuck in the book is an old boarding pass from August 2009, when I was flying to visit DH during our dating days. Aww...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Comment

• I'm reading When She Woke. Sort of a cross between The Handmaid's Tale and The Scarlett Letter.

Comment

I'm reading When She Woke. Sort of a cross between The Handmaid's Tale and The Scarlett Letter.

ooo! I might have to try that! I got MadAddam in the mail yesterday, in the meantime started The Gravedigger's Daughter....I understand Oates is trying to emphasize this girl's lack of education but she's repeating herself every paragraph. It's weird and annoying.

Comment

• Finished "When She Woke" AND "Reconstructing Amelia". Both good reads.

Comment

• Finished the MaddAddam series. LOVED it. Now reading Gravedigger's Daughter before going on to Alias Grace.

Haven't made much progress in Trend Following. Two chapters in and I can already tell it'd be a fraction of its length if they cut out all the anecdotes.

Comment

• I don't remember Grave diggers Daughter but Alias Grace was pretty good. Not as good as The Handmaid's Tale or the Maddadam trilogy.

Comment

I don't remember Grave diggers Daughter but Alias Grace was pretty good. Not as good as The Handmaid's Tale or the Maddadam trilogy.
                      Grave Diggers is Joyce Carol Oates. It will probably be the last I read of hers. Any others as good as MaddAddam etc?

Comment

• Originally posted by MAPPLEBUM View Post
                        Grave Diggers is Joyce Carol Oates. It will probably be the last I read of hers. Any others as good as MaddAddam etc?
                        I haven't read a lot of Oates. She's so prolific. I probably should. I haven't kept up with what else Atwood has written so I don't know if there are any others in the vein of Maddadam. Off the top of my head.... things I've read lately (or not so lately) that I really enjoyed but not necessarily in the same vein as Maddadam...."The Light Between Oceans" by M.L. Steadman, "Middlesex"by Geoffrey Eugenedies, "White Teeth" by Zadie Smith (though a bit dated because it humorously touches on Islamic Fundamentalism pre-9/11), "A Secret History" by Donna Tartt. For classics -- "A Tale of Two Cities" and "East of Eden."

I'm sort of drawing a blank but it will come to me.

Comment

• "11/22/63" by Stephen King was also excellent.

Comment

• Just finished Crucial Conversations by Kerry Patterson et. al.

Highly recommend it. It starts slow but delves into all sorts of helpful scenarios. I think it is a fantastic read for anyone that has to interact with another human being.
                            Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

I haven't read a lot of Oates. She's so prolific. I probably should. I haven't kept up with what else Atwood has written so I don't know if there are any others in the vein of Maddadam. Off the top of my head.... things I've read lately (or not so lately) that I really enjoyed but not necessarily in the same vein as Maddadam...."The Light Between Oceans" by M.L. Steadman, "Middlesex"by Geoffrey Eugenedies, "White Teeth" by Zadie Smith (though a bit dated because it humorously touches on Islamic Fundamentalism pre-9/11), "A Secret History" by Donna Tartt. For classics -- "A Tale of Two Cities" and "East of Eden."

I'm sort of drawing a blank but it will come to me.
                              Oates is OK. The only other one of hers I've read is We Were the Mulvaneys. She deals a lot with family dynamics, rural life, alcoholic father, trauma > ignorance > repercussions. While I can relate it's honestly not the most interesting subject matter IMO.

Cool! The only ones I haven't read from your list are the Steadman and Zadie Smith. Have to check them out!

Comment

• I'm getting through the last 20% of A Game of Thrones and for a non-fantasy person, I've really enjoyed it. I'll give the second one a shot as well. I've been pleasantly surprised.

I'm also reading The Poisonwood Bible which is just fascinating and I am really into it!

I picked up Judy Blume's 'In the Unlikely Event' last week but was too superstitious to bring it on the plane to CA with me so I've only gotten a few pages in, but I like it so far!
                                Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X