Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What are you reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LilySayWhat
    Finished girl on the train in two days. Anyone else read and want to discuss?
    I've just started it, so I'm avoiding the thread for now, but I'll be over there soon!
    Laurie
    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

• Originally posted by MrsK View Post
      @MAPPLEBUM I agree that the ones you've read are too similar. She has several in that vein, even more than you mentioned. I think that where she really excells is in her dystopias. Try The Handmaid's Tale or the Maddadam trilogy (start with Oryx and Crake). She writes about things that are presently happening in the world and follows political and scientific theories to their extreme conclusions. She has a lot to say and says it well.
      Ah! Awesome! That sounds great! TBH I haven't done any background reading on her at all, which at this point I usually do. I'll definitely order one of those. It was really sad to start hating the story while still enjoying the writing. Thanks!

Comment

• I really liked The Handmaid's Tale, too. I haven't read any of her other books. I'll put them on my list!
        Laurie

Comment

• Originally posted by MAPPLEBUM View Post
          Ah! Awesome! That sounds great! TBH I haven't done any background reading on her at all, which at this point I usually do. I'll definitely order one of those. It was really sad to start hating the story while still enjoying the writing. Thanks!
          I've been to a couple of her signing events. She's very engaging and fun to chat with. She researchers her books well collecting news from all over the world and weaving themes together.
          Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

• I just finished Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter and it was so much better than the movie. The movie was blech.

Comment

• I have been going through some samples I downloaded to my Kindle, and I settled on The Thorn Birds. I vaguely remember my parents watching it when I was a kid, but I really don't remember the story at all. Loving the book so far, about 10% into it.
              Laurie

Comment

• Originally posted by ladymoreta View Post
                I have been going through some samples I downloaded to my Kindle, and I settled on The Thorn Birds. I vaguely remember my parents watching it when I was a kid, but I really don't remember the story at all. Loving the book so far, about 10% into it.
                I read it last year. It's soo good! Colleen McCullough just passed away in January. I love her writing. I have to finish another book of hers actually, might read that next.
                Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

• LM, i just re-watched the miniseries a little while ago!

Comment

• Torch by Cheryl Strayed. I'm about a 3rd through and it's just devastating. I read until I'm weeping, then get all emotional and schmoopy with my kids. I'm tortured but I can't stop.

Comment

• The boys in the boat. I love this book and would recommend to everyone. Amazing story of triumph and overcoming odds. Just a great read!
                      Brandi
                      Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

• Hard Times (Charles Dickens). I'm weird.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                        Veronica
                        Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

• California by Edan Lepucki. Weird, dystopian story about some sort of vague collapse of civilization. Good so far!

I also finished All the Light We Cannot See, which I LOVED. So beautifully written. I wanted to simultaneously rip through it so I could find out what happens but also linger over the prose and language.
                          ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                          -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

• Originally posted by MrsK View Post
                            @MAPPLEBUM I agree that the ones you've read are too similar. She has several in that vein, even more than you mentioned. I think that where she really excells is in her dystopias. Try The Handmaid's Tale or the Maddadam trilogy (start with Oryx and Crake). She writes about things that are presently happening in the world and follows political and scientific theories to their extreme conclusions. She has a lot to say and says it well.
                            So I went to the paperback place and of course couldn't remember which you'd recommended. Picked up the Robber Bride, because...ok of course I should have known it wouldn't be dystopian....but in that moment I thought it might be. About halfway through it. She's so easy to read. Maybe because her plots are so predictable. Should probably just order one of the ^ mentioned on amazon.

Comment

• Oh no no. Robber Bride is the same as the rest.

Comment

• Handmaid's Tale is the best! I credit that Atwood with introducing me to feminism. That book is still my favorite after reading it for the first time almost 15 years ago.

I am in the middle of a book about Israel and Palestine and a two-state solution. Putting it down for a bit to give myself a break. Sigh.

Comment

Working...
                                X