Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What are you reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am LOVING "The Marriage Plot." it is realism at it's best. The characters are complex but believable, each going through very normal processes of change and self discovery. I love how each chapter the narration perspective changes and poses the characters in a different light depending on the voice. It's really wonderful, and definitely making me want to read Virgin Suicides. I wish Euginedes was more prolific!

Comment

• Watch the movie too. I thought it was pretty true to the book and Sofia Coppola does ambiance like no one's business.

Comment

• There's a movie called Marriage Plot? I couldn't find anything.

Finished it today. Probably one of the best books I've ever read. I suppose the end was a little trite but the characters were so goddamn believable! It dealt really well with common subject matter. Gahhh I guess I'll read Virgin Suicides next.

Comment

• MB, I have to admit I felt the absolute opposite about the Marriage Plot. I hated it, hated the characters, and thought it was his weakest book. I thought it dealt in stereotypes and relied heavily on the notion that if it's depressing it must be intelligent. I actually wondered if it was meant to be satirical because the characters thought they were so fucking smart and special and were actually so depressingly average. To each her own I guess!
          Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

• Middlesex is one of the best books I ever read. I met Eugenides when he was first promoting it. He was quiet but very nice.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
            Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

• Originally posted by MsSassyBaskets View Post
              MB, I have to admit I felt the absolute opposite about the Marriage Plot. I hated it, hated the characters, and thought it was his weakest book. I thought it dealt in stereotypes and relied heavily on the notion that if it's depressing it must be intelligent. I actually wondered if it was meant to be satirical because the characters thought they were so fucking smart and special and were actually so depressingly average. To each her own I guess!
              Wow, that's crazy!!! I can't believe we had such opposite reactions. Did you read Middlesex? And like it? I didn't really like it that much at all and was thankful the writing was so different. Have you read A Secret History? That's centered on college students too and I felt the way you did about the ones in Plot. Interesting!

Comment

• I did enjoy Middlesex, I liked it better than Virgin Suicides too. I think for me, one of the most important things is that I like the characters of a book, and I did not like the characters in the Marriage Plot. I haven't read the Secret History yet but I plan to!
                Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

• Just butting in - I enjoyed pretty much all of middlesex, and even the parts/ending I wasn't crazy about, the writing was still wonderful and impeccably crafted. I did not at all like the Virgin Suicides, it barely held my attention. I'll be reading the marriage plot and at this point don't really know what to expect!
                  Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

• The movie for Virgin Suicides, sorry I wasn't specific.

Comment

• I picked my grandmother-in-law's copy of Roots when I was bored at their house a couple of weeks ago. It's not necessarily a book I would have thought to pick up if I had a lot of other options, but I'm so glad I did. I absolutely LOVE it. With the exception of maybe Harry Potter, I've never been so enthralled by such a long book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Wife of a PGY-1 podiatric surgery resident, mom to two cat babies with a human one on the way!

Comment

• Originally posted by Curegirl View Post
                        The movie for Virgin Suicides, sorry I wasn't specific.
                        Oh, yea I saw that when it came out and I was a sad, angsty teen. LOVED the movie. Maybe I'll watch it again after I read the book.

BTW I love the Kindle cloud, or Amazon cloud or whatever. Husband took our iPad to work yesterday and I wanted to finish The Marriage Plot, so I just finished Dl'ing it to my phone and finished it on there! Also helps my phone screen is huge.

Comment

• Ugh I'm hating Virgin Suicides

Comment

• I'm on book 2 of the Fallen series by Lauren Kate. I'm not sure why I'm even continuing except maybe out of a morbid sense of curiosity to see how badly this author sucks. The main character is so one dimensional and such a spineless idiot that I want to backhand her into next week.

Comment

• The benefit of not being able to do anything with your dominant arm - I'm getting a ton of reading done. I'm working on The Dinner by Herman Koch. It's been a fascinating read so far.
                              Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

• Just started "The Marriage Plot" and am curious to see how it measures up to Middlesex (which I really liked a lot) and The Virgin Suicides (which I did not care for and frankly, found boring).

I finished "I Am Having So Much Fun Here Without You" on Audible and really liked it.
                                Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X