Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - SPOILER ALERT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - SPOILER ALERT!

DO NOT PROCEED IF YOU'RE STILL READING AND DON'T WANT TO KNOW!

I'm Done - woo hoo! I think some will say that Rowling took the easy way out but I liked it. I liked how Harry got to see more of the history behind his parents and Dumbledore. I liked how she wove the story well through so many different characters and I like that she FINISHED it. Because the conflict is over there can't be anymore without killing any of what I consider to be the main three. I can't wait for the movie!
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

I really thought it was fabulous. I don't think it was an easy way out at all. I think she managed to have an essentially happy ending while not making it predictable & taking the reader on an emotional roller coaster along the way.

I would never have guessed that Snape had truly been Dumbledore's, and I love that it was because of his love for Lily. I cried and cried as Harry went to give himself to Voldemort (perhaps there are some hormones we can blame for that). I think I'd assumed once Harry had been named Ted's godfather & then Lupin & Tonks died that Harry would be spared. So when I thought that wasn't the case, I was devastated. I was so angry when it appeared that Dumbledore had planned for Harry to sacrifice himself all along.

I loved that Neville came into his own. And I LOVED it when Mrs. Weasley killed Bellatrix. She couldn't have been a more unlikely heroine, but also made perfect sense.

Really wonderful. The movie will be good -- but I can't imagine it will be able to really represent the book unless it gets into LOTR length.

Comment

I agree Jenn, I loved it when Mrs. Weasley kill Beatrix, she has shown no magic up until now other then the transporting type stuff so it was great to see her use some of hers.

I really thought Snape was on Voldemort's side as well, I was really surprised to see him do what he did though I guess I shouldn't have been surprised since i can think of other instances where he had helped to protect Harry.

The movies never do them full justice IMO which is why I've always tried to get my DH to read them. We're going to see #5 this afternoon, we have to wait what 2 years to see #7. Great, great series and ending!

Comment

I didn't want to see any movies because the actors' faces would get stuck in my head, but sadly it happened anyway and not just because I saw part of the first movie.

Ennyhoo, lots of predictability but lots of good closure and enough twists and turns to make it interesting. Thumbs up from me!

I was pretty sure Snape was good but I didn't know what could possibly be left to unearth, especially by the time he flew away from Hogwarts! But, she certainly untangled that little knot neatly!

And Jenn, I'm with you I kept going, "WHAT ABOUT TEDDY!!??" when Harry was realizing he'd have to die!

The end was way too cutesy but I think it was necessary to make it totally and completely clear that it was all over. Plus it was fun to see how everyone ended up.
        Alison

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog
          The end was way too cutesy but I think it was necessary to make it totally and completely clear that it was all over. Plus it was fun to see how everyone ended up.
          I agree. The "19 years later" thing was too cutesy, what with little Lily, James & Albus Snape. But I guess I'll grant her that bit of overwhelming schmarm considering the way she managed to work out everything else.

And I'd agree about the movies / faces / voices if I didn't feel that the faces & voices they cast were SO perfect. Granted I didn't read any of the books until I'd already seen 3 movies, but I don't always concur with casting if I read a book post-movie. I have immense respect for how they've kept the quality & integrity of the movies going. Sure, they always end up having to cut huge parts out (back to the LOTR length issues), but while that's disappointing, they still manage to weave a good tale.

Comment

Just finished this morning!

As a Snape-lover I was very pleased with his character's "filling out" in this book. I must confess to crying a lot during his chapter (What was it called - the Half-blood Prince's secrets or something like that?). And, I thought his character was the most well-thought-out - the most hidden in its nobility.

Anyway, the last 300-400 pages were absolutely awesome. I thought it was very, very satisfying. And, I actually really liked the morality tales hidden throughout.
            Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
            With fingernails that shine like justice
            And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

I FINALLY finished it!!

LOVED IT!

I'm in a rush -- not much more time to write more than that but TWO THUMBS UP from me!!!!!!!!!!
              Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Originally posted by SnowWhite
                Me too - just finished. Loved it - although it didn't feel like the book had really started until Harry finally made it back to Hogwarts.

I was SOOO happy "the battle" was at Hogwarts with all of his buddies and former teachers. I got goosebumps and all choked up!!!!!!!!

Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Me too - just finished. Loved it - although it didn't feel like the book had really started until Harry finally made it back to Hogwarts.
                  I agree - I thought the 2nd 1/2 of the book had all the meat in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynn

I was SOOO happy "the battle" was at Hogwarts with all of his buddies and former teachers. I got goosebumps and all choked up!!!!!!!!
                    Agreed, it was sorta contrived but just so RIGHT. Almost like the epilogue, but a little less "in your face" about it. "You want to see how these folks are doing? Here you go!"

But, that's the bit I really need to re-read because I was rushing through so fast to find out what happens that I didn't absorb it very well. I kinda sorta seem to get that Harry was a horcrux, but they didn't have to destroy his body to destroy Voldemort's soul, just booted him to the crossroads where he could decide whether to go on and die or return and live? I also didn't see why dying was a tempting choice -- sure, he could be with his parents and Sirius and Dumbledore, but what's that compared to finishing Voldemort and being with Ginny?

Speaking of which, Cheri should name her baby girl Ginevra SO THERE. :P
                    Alison

Comment

How did everyone feel about the Dumbledore angle ? My sister was a little taken back. But then I realized that basically all of the men in Harry's life were a bit flawed. So why not Dumbledore ?

Comment

I just finished last night and I LOVED it!!! I definitely thought it was the best of the series. I, too, could have lived without the epilogue.

I bawled through most of the latter half of the book...when Dobby died, when Harry was realizing he was to sacrifice himself to save everyone, when Fred died, when he saw Tonks and Lupin's bodies, when he was talking to his parents, Sirius and Lupin, and how brave he was marching into death....ah, just so emotional!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DrWahoo
                          How did everyone feel about the Dumbledore angle ? My sister was a little taken back. But then I realized that basically all of the men in Harry's life were a bit flawed. So why not Dumbledore ?
                          I'm okay with it. I think it shows no one is all good or all evil, just as Sirius said to Harry in book 6. It's what you DO with it that counts. Harry chose to stay and fight, Dumbledore realized the error of his earlier beliefs (largely created by the plight of his sister ... I was so happy to get that explained) and used his gifts for great good. I did not like that Dumbledore hid the final part of his task and left it for Snape to deliver. I can see why he would have had to do that, and definitely why Rowling had to do it that way, but I didn't like it.

Oh - when Dobby died. I just said "NO!" (and then immediately thought of Kelly. She'll be crushed - but so proud that he saved Harry, Hermionie and Ron). And then when Ron and Hermionie kissed I cheered out loud. And I sobbed ... sobbed as Harry was marching off towards death.

McGonagall was fabulous. "We teachers are quite good at magic, Harry". And there were two parts (at the beginning and then during the battle) where I was sure Hagrid was a goner - but she kept saving him.

Comment

O.K. I'm far enough in to come out and talk. (Chapter 24).

--OMG, Doby, NOOOO! I loved you, you little simple, comedic, loyal worker bee. I'm sooo proud of you. Even though you were scared beyond measure at those you deemed more powerful, you made the hard right choice. You give all of us little scared house elves hope!

--I looooved when Harry told Lupin that his self loathing must come second to his need to step up to the plate and be a husband and father. I cried when Lupin acknowledged Harry's wisdom in the radio cast. Good friends love each other enough to take a few swift kicks in the butt when a douse of tough love is needed.

--Ron and Hermione. Does anyone see the strength of Ms. Weasley in Ron's choice of paramours? Perhaps JK Rowling believes that we marry partners that elicit childhood memories and struggles.

--As in all of Ms. Rowling's works, I love that each character is both good and evil all at once. Ron, the affable loyal sidekick who prefers the hedonistic pleasures of life, annoyed me to no end. Hermione is brillant,industrious, and loyal, but has a damn difficult time seeing outside of the box. And Harry lets disbelief creep in far too often. I love how we get to see each character come to terms with his/her humanity.

It is the internal struggle and each choice that ultimately determines whether we may be classified as "honorable" or "dishonorable". As J.K. so clearly explains, nothing is determined by birthright.

I just don't want it to end.

Now if we can get Daniel Craig a bit part in movie number 6 or 7, preferably naked, I'll be an HP groupie FOREVER!!!

Rock on, wizard boy!

House elf
                            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I too was sobbing through the Snape chapter when Harry realized he had to sacrafice himself to save everyone. I was crying so hard I could hardly read the words. I was laughing out loud when Kreacher comes storming the castle with the other house elves and their cleavers. I LOVE Neville and was so happy that he came into his own in this book and was the one who kept the DA alive. I also started to cry when they went to Luna's house and saw the paintings of themselves with the words friends around them. How sweet was that, I'm so glad they befriended her.
                              Best part of the book by far...
                              Mrs Weasly finishing off Belatrix Lestrange! I was so happy to see Mrs Weasly in action, she's the one member of the Order who always seemed to be holding things together but was never part of the action. That mama kicked some serious ass! Guess that's why I love Ginny so much, those Weaslys are some tough women!
                              What was your favorite part?

(Opps spelt Weasley wrong.)

Comment

Working...
                              X