Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - SPOILER ALERT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For some reason I was only sad when Snape died. I guess because all the dead characters seem to come back in some capacity. Even though Dumbledore was "dead" Harry still got to talk with him at the train station and the picture. I mean can't they talk to the characters that died if there are pictures of them ?

Comment

Just started reading this on Friday and just finished. I LOVED it. I was crying all throughout the Harry sacrificing himself part. That just tore me up!

All of the backstory on Snape & Lily's relationship and Dumbledore's background was great.

I'm really sad that there won't be any more but I'm glad she included the epilogue; the sap that I am really enjoyed reading how their lives ended up. So cute. I was on the Snape-as-evil bandwagon but I should have known Dumbledore would not have trusted him so if he was evil.

Comment

I'm confused about the cover - it looks to be the final battle between Voldemort and Harry but neither is holding a wand...

Comment

I am so saddened by the Weasley twins' injury and death. I *know* that in war, there are inevitable losses, but I always felt like these brothers were some of J.K.'s most loveable characters.

Kelly
          In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Me too. I wish Rowling had given some information on George now that his twin is gone.
            It hasn't hit me yet that there will be no more books. I'll be in mourning when that happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravenclaw
              Me too. I wish Rowling had given some information on George now that his twin is gone.
              It hasn't hit me yet that there will be no more books. I'll be in mourning when that happens.
              Me three.

I won't believe it's the last book until I read it again...I'm starting today!!!
              Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Originally posted by Ames
                I was laughing out loud when Kreacher comes storming the castle with the other house elves and their cleavers.
                I loved this part too! Hermione must have been proud!

Comment

A couple of more random thoughts...

While I loooooved Ms. Rowling's work, if I *had* to critique it, I thought that Dumbledore, a white haired great widely revered wizard, resembled Tolkein's character "Gandolf" when he admitted to his weakness for power when seeking the Elder Wand. Harry Potter is too admirable to draw any comparisons to a Hobbit. (Damn I hate to be the persnickety art critic...)

Why, why, why do people adore Snape? Even with the back story, which did indeed redeem him in part, I didn't care for how his need to self-loathe permitted him to act so nasty towards....well...pretty much everyone. I felt no tears when he died. Yet, I understand that people adore this character above all else. I have admitted before however, that it really pisses me off when people I loath reveal redeeming qualities. It is so much easier to think of the world in "good" and "bad".

I understand J.K.'s compulsion to write the epilogue...but in truth she should have left good enough alone.

Overall, I still love this book as one of the best in the series.

What do you think?

Kelly
                  In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Does Rowling ever address why they can't use the time tuner Hermione used in Prisoner of Azkaban to save people that have died? She probably did but I can't find it...

Comment

I don't recall her mentioning that in this book.
                      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I love Snape, because he doesn't kiss up to Harry and isn't all together evil either. He is sort of the only really self-minded person. Plus Alan Rickman plays him so well. Also have you checked out Wikipedia's info on all the Harry Potter Books, it is really excellent.

Comment

Kelly, I loved Snape because...he wore his dark side on his sleeves. The soft core was hidden away, but you knew that it was there all along. I just thought he was awesome...and I always thought that he was on the right side...he had just been so wounded by life that he wasn't a warm and fuzzy character.

boohoo...I can't believe that there will be no more books.

kris
                          ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                          ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I just finished last night! I absolutely adored the whole thing!

I agree with the people who loved the epilogue. I just love the image of him standing there on the platform with people who love him. Remember when he said that James Potter (in one of the last chapters) had the shine of someone who has deeply loved - I just felt like Harry must have had that shine then too.

LOVED IT!! I really wish she would write another series about all their kids although that might ruin it...
                            Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                            Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Finally finished and I LOVED it!! I am really going to miss the whole lot of them. I was sad to see Snape go and the way he did was so cruel. I was a Snape fan...can't exaplain why but I knew that he wasn't just evil. And poor Dobby and how happy was I when Kreacher and the other elves came to fight. I also liked the 19 years later addition...It gave me a sense of closure and I am a sap for happy endings
                              Danielle
                              Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

finally read it!

Finally! Got a copy of the Deathly Hallows from my library.

I'm so glad I resisted sneaking a peak at spoiler info online.

I loved the book... could not stop til it was done. Stayed up rather late last night to finish. DH was amused as he hasn't read any of the Harry Potter books. I had to laugh at myself every time I noticed the round pink sticker on the book from the library that said "6th-8th" (grade). Oh well!

Dumbledore was my favorite character - I just love grandfatherly types. Probably because my own were so wonderful. I was upset after the last book and didn't know if I wanted to read this one. Now, I'm very glad that I did. I'm glad that Dumbledore was woven into this book - and okay to hear that he was not perfect after all.

I thought this book would kill off Harry, Hermione or Ron. I think it was the easy way out not doing that - but I'm so glad that's the way she went.

I thought the 19 years later chapter was unnecessary for the story. Yet, maybe important to put some finality to the series.... and put some damper on others coming up with their own "what happened later". I stilled enjoyed it because I love the characters.

Comment

Working...
                                X