Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Book Club Book: Three Cups of Tea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Book Club Book: Three Cups of Tea

Angie, if that is wrong, I don't want to be right. (You can Amazon subscribe and save on Mrs Meyers.)

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade
      Oh. I should add that I bought my book and I'm three chapters in. Buying the book cost me seventy dollars because I can not leave a book store without purchasing all that I can carry. It is a sickness. DH won't let me veer off in to a bookstore if we have less than 30 minutes. This is my only post training indulgence! (Bookstore binging - and Mrs. Meyer's cleaning supplies. )

My book cost me about seventy dollars too. After all the effort that I made to stay out of Joann's I tripped on the cash register at the bookstore. Oh well. Someone has to stimulate the economy, right?
      -Ladybug

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade
        I think of myself as a one woman library fundraising project. They can always count on me for a payment every time I check books out. Cleveland doesn't know what they are missing out on by limiting fines to 5 dollars. Brookline, MA would just bleed you dry till you hit the cost of the books....and then charge a reshelving fee as well. Not that I have any personal experience with that.....
        The DC Public Library is so disorganized and incompetent that I don't even know what happened to my last round of fines. It's possible I paid them, but it's also possible I didn't. When I told the librarian that I thought I had paid them, she cleared them from my account, saying it was probably an issue with the computer system. Great for fines, bad for holds.

I was on the stationary bike in the gym last night reading this, and my former boss came in, settled into a nearby bike, and opened up the same book to the exact same page!
        Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

Kindle has been ordered (see my Kindle post) and as soon as I receive it, I am buying the book.
          Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

It sucked me right in! GREAT choice.

As for the library fees- I'm at more than $100 bucks-but I know where the last missing book is. That will cut the fines down by a little. I think Nikolai and I will go learn about library fees on Saturday. (that said, there's a waiting list for the book so I probably would have bought it anyway.)

Jenn

Comment

Mine is being transferred from another library to the one I go to. It has been a few days in transit. Dang stuff moves slowly down here.

Comment

My library has it! I'm picking it up today....maybe I'll get through it in time....I'm so not a reader anymore.
                Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Originally posted by LegallyBrunette
                  I just bought the book at Borders... are there two editions? Mine has the subtitle that says Three Cups of Tea "One Man's Mission to Promote Peace One School At Time" rather than the second post in this thread... This is a stupid question but do I have the right one? I'm reading it tomorrow on my way to the Caribbean.

Same one. When the 2nd edition was printed, he had the subtitle changed. On the first edition it was something along the lines of "fighting terrorism one school at a time".

Comment

I feel like perhaps the first title was mildly inflammatory.

Hope you're all enjoying your reading!!
                    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen
                      I feel like perhaps the first title was mildly inflammatory.

Hope you're all enjoying your reading!!
                      Yeah - it was put on against the wishes of the author, and once the book was successful, he was able to make them change it.

Comment

Thanks so much Jane and TulipsandSunscreen.... LOL I had to read the entire book to figure out that he got the subtitle changed! I just saw this posting now after finishing.

I loved loved loved the book.... excellent pick!
                        It brought tears to my eyes..... It especially hit home because my family's from Pakistan. I visited Rawalpindi last year and have also in the past visited my family's ancestral villages north of Pindi. (But not as far north as the villages in TCT). That's all I'll say for now!

Comment

When are we going to 'discuss' it? and are we going to decide at that point who is going next? Just a thought, but I really enjoyed reading about a part of the world that is always in the news so maybe that could be our theme for the year.

Jenn

Comment

Looks like the discussion is slated to start 4/4, according to the first post here. I'm looking forward to talking about it. Checked it out from the library and read it in just a few days. Already returned it, in fact.
                            Sandy
                            Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I'm about halfway in and had to leave Panera today because one passage started me doing the "ugly" cry. I wasn't sure I would like this book - but it is a great pick!

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn View Post
                                Just a thought, but I really enjoyed reading about a part of the world that is always in the news
                                ITA! I finished it already, too, and loved it. I wasn't sure I would, I was pleasantly surprised!! Can't wait to discuss it with everyone!
                                ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                                -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Working...
                                X