Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have moved on to Steven King novels. I've always wanted to read his entire collection so I started with his first book, "Carrie."

At the same time I've been reading the Twilight Series for the first time. I've seen all the movies and know the stars but never got around to reading the books. I was always put off by the reviews and I have to say that this is one case where the movies are better than the books. Bella Swan's character in the books really bugs the crap out of me. She's so weak, needy, and always fainting or getting hurt. Give me a break.

I'm considering reading GoT now that everyone's mentioned it.

Also reading "The Stargate Conspiracy" which is a compare and contrast of a lot of the books on the Egyptian Pyramids and the various theories behind them. Some of the theories are really far out there and connect with Pyramids on Mars. Anyways it's something different.

Also went on a Jane Austen kick there for a little bit. She wrote for young women so her books are easily digestible and pleasurable.

I also have been on a kick re-reading all the books I read in Junior High and High School. It's interesting to observe my perspective at the age I am now verses my understanding of the works at my younger age. It's somewhat fascinating for me how much easier it is for me to read these books now than when I was that age and loathed it because it was assigned homework. I take pleasure in the simple things knowing that my reading comprehension has vastly improved. It make me feel so adult. lol

I really wish I could get Gone with the Wind on my Nook from the library, but it looks like I'll have to purchase it online and download it or check out the book from the library.

I feel so spoiled with the e-reader getting all my books from the library online conveniently and becoming a lady of leisure. I asked dh if it's a bad thing that all I really want to do during his residency is read books and get pedicures. He said we could set a budget for that.
    PGY4 Nephrology Fellow

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.

~ Rumi

Comment

Just finished Inferno: a novel by Dan Brown, which was a reasonably interesting read. Certainly no masterpiece, but much better than the woeful Lost Symbol. Langdon chuckles slightly less in this one, which is a clear improvement. Am currently reading Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer but haven't gotten far enough into it to form much of an opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by McPants View Post
        Just finished Inferno: a novel by Dan Brown, which was a reasonably interesting read. Certainly no masterpiece, but much better than the woeful Lost Symbol. Langdon chuckles slightly less in this one, which is a clear improvement. Am currently reading Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer but haven't gotten far enough into it to form much of an opinion.
        DH has been reading Inferno, too. He thinks it's better than the other Langdon stories, too.

I've been meaning to read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close for a while and I keep forgetting to add it to my library list. I really liked Everything is Illuminated.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
          DH has been reading Inferno, too. He thinks it's better than the other Langdon stories, too.

I've been meaning to read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close for a while and I keep forgetting to add it to my library list. I really liked Everything is Illuminated.
          Trying to avoid posting any spoilers here. I'd say Inferno is less captivating than the Da Vinci Code, probably due to the fact that the pace is a bit slower and the main theme simply isn't quite as captivating. Brown also repeats descriptions of certain events surprisingly often in Inferno, which hasn't really been an issue in his previous novels.

As regards ELaIC, it appears to be a bit of a challenging read, as the author jumps back and forth between different characters' PoW/stories, which gives the book a bit of a disjointed feel, however this may become less of an issue once one gets used to the concept and characters.

Comment

I am reading "Lie Still", which is a medical thriller written by one of DH's best friends, an anesthesiologist he's worked with for 20 years. It's a great book!
            Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

Oh, WGW, can you get that on Amazon? That sounds good and I've been itching for something exciting.

Comment

Finished "When You Are Engulfed in Flames" on Audible, and started "The White Album".
                Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WolfpackWife View Post
                  Finished "When You Are Engulfed in Flames" on Audible, and started "The White Album".
                  I remember really liking The White Album in high school... have you read The Year of Magical Thinking or Blue Nights? I really enjoyed those, as much as you can enjoy books about death and sadness.
                  Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

Originally posted by MsSassyBaskets View Post
                    I remember really liking The White Album in high school... have you read The Year of Magical Thinking or Blue Nights? I really enjoyed those, as much as you can enjoy books about death and sadness.
                    I read "Play It As It Lays" in a contemporary American Lit class in college and loved it. After graduating, I read "The Year Of Magical Thinking" and enjoyed it as well. I really like Joan Didion and her reflection of that time period in the US.
                    Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X