Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The sound of music -- live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know if it's going to be rerun or available on demand? I missed setting the dvr.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Originally posted by alotofyarn View Post
      Does anyone know if it's going to be rerun or available on demand? I missed setting the dvr.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
      I heard a rumor it would be on the NBC website today.
      Sandy
      Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Originally posted by Ladybug View Post
        Wow. You guys are harsh! . . .

I thought they were spectacular singers. They weren't strong actors and the dialogue felt stiff/forced, but we focused on their singing, we sang and thoroughly enjoyed it. We'll get the DVD for the family.
        I should have been more specific. Yes, their singing seemed perfectly serviceable. I don't know--I'm not much of a music expert. I just know what I like--I cannot explain why music is good or bad (well, unless it is anything by Rianna--even I know that if she sings it, it is terrible). But I could tell that the singing was not blow-me-away-incredible.

The acting was just awful. Stiff, undynamic, disengaged. Each character seemed to have his/her own separate accent, leaving the impression that the family does not really belong together. And Maria seemed to have been transported from the Deep South to Austria. I've seen better high school productions of the musical. I really think it would have served them well not to attempt such a close imitation of the movie, which fans know so intimately, frame-by-frame. Even the attempts at costume-copying fell short, with the children's ill-fitting prison-gray uniforms. They were setting themselves up for failure in comparison to the original.

One of the best Sound of Music theater productions I've ever seen was a one-woman show. There were zero costumes, zero sets. She did the entire thing herself. Acte every role. Sounds odd, but it was just amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ladybug View Post
          Wow. You guys are harsh!

We had so much fun watching and singing it. We talked about how it would be different than the movie, that it was the original broadway format and importance of not comparing them. It's helpful experience because you have to be willing to try things (school musicals, etc.) and not fear being criticized because it's not as good as some other performance. When kids hear this from parents on the sidelines it really does translate into their subconscious and willingness to pu themselves out there in front of people.

I thought they were spectacular singers. They weren't strong actors and the dialogue felt stiff/forced, but we focused on their singing, we sang and thoroughly enjoyed it. We'll get the DVD for the family.
          Yes this. My friend posted a "stop hating comment" on her Facebook. She and her daughter loved the show. I think people forget that this was live. It is completely different for the actors performing live on stage vs live on film. There is an art to that which takes time to develop and it takes guts to put yourself out there to do this type of production. Kudos to all involved.
          Tara
          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Right. I get that the performers were out of their element. But, at a professional level where millions are invested in the production, I expect perfection, not experimentation or learning curve.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
            Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife View Post
              I really think it would have served them well not to attempt such a close imitation of the movie, which fans know so intimately, frame-by-frame. Even the attempts at costume-copying fell short, with the children's ill-fitting prison-gray uniforms. They were setting themselves up for failure in comparison to the original.
              I'm confused by this. "The original" would be the broadway production from the late 50s, which the movie was an adaptation of. I haven't watched the show from last night (yet), but my understanding is that its script and song order and such followed the stage production, not the movie, and as such was different from the movie (I *did* see the abbey scene near the beginning with "favorite things" in it, so I know they didn't follow the movie completely, because that's not where that song is, in the movie).
              Sandy
              Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

I never liked the original or the movie so I passed entirely on the tv production last evening. I caught a few minutes and didn't think it was worth my time. Basically, I think Carrie was smart for doing it because, regardless of either opinion, everyone seems to be talking about it.
                wife of a PGY-2 anesthesiology resident & mother of one adorable baby girl

Comment

Whew. I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like any version of TSOM!

I agree with DrBandMe. Underwood is a terrible actress, and love her or hate her, everybody's talking about it!
                  I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

It's a fascinating national media phenomena, isn't it?

Even on an individual scale it's fascinating to watch someone experience art. The experience is less a function of the actual art, but created more by our life experiences (the individual and collective social experience), emotional associations, knowledge and expectations. This makes our experience and our expression of that experience so raw and naked. Honestly, I think it requires more energy to thoughtfully disagree with someone than to agree with them. You have to identify and articulate your reasons, and the same goes with art. It's the way that people disagree or offer criticism that is a measure of their character. Interestingly, when it comes to celebrity, people let it all hang out. They are totally unmasked by the perceived social and professional distance. Again, it's not that there isn't something flawed with the performance or person, but it's the individual identification and expression of the flaw I find most intriguing and reflective. Of course even my experience of their reaction is through my own life lens.

Obviously, our family loves TSOM and I honestly don't think we could ever dislike a performance. I guess we're wearing TSOM goggles. Even though I agree with the criticisms pointed out, I still loved it, and we had fun watching it with the girls and them texting their Nana during commericals.
                    Last edited by Ladybug; 12-06-2013, 11:58 AM.
                    -Ladybug

Comment

I have a friend from college in the Theatre industry and it was interesting to watch her fb feed last night. I haven't seen it but her and a lot of her colleagues were just glad that the theatre was getting the national attention. Though several did say they should have picked someone besides CU.
                      Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

LSW - I heart you. I checked out the Jezebel live blog and LOL'ed the whole way through. This whole Sound of Music, LIVE! thing didn't even make it into my radar, so I was sort of "huh?" when I heard people talking about it on the radio this morning. Then I found the link on that website to the "5 most excruciating moments" from the production and was glad I chose to spend my time watching Grey's Anatomy and Scandal instead. WTF was up with those costumes? Anything I saw CU wearing in those clips was not even remotely believeable. They looked like Halloween costumes.

I'm glad people enjoyed it though, really! Those songs are iconic enough to enjoy when most anyone sings them, IMO. Julie Andrews 4EVER.
                        Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

I have only seen a few clips and I'm a huge fan of the movie.
                          ulie Andrews 4EVER.
                          Right on sister.

I really like Carrie Underwood. She does fantastic crossover country, has managed to stay clean cut instead of latest skank pop star that seems to be de riguer, and has married one sweet looking Canuck. Nonetheless, I mean, what were her handlers thinking by trying to recreate Julie Andrews in her? Just no.
                          In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I didn't watch it but that fourth picture in LSW's link looks like the Church Lady set from SNL...which is not good.

Comment

Originally posted by poky View Post
                              I'm confused by this. "The original" would be the broadway production from the late 50s, which the movie was an adaptation of. I haven't watched the show from last night (yet), but my understanding is that its script and song order and such followed the stage production, not the movie, and as such was different from the movie (I *did* see the abbey scene near the beginning with "favorite things" in it, so I know they didn't follow the movie completely, because that's not where that song is, in the movie).
                              I was referring to the movie. I suspect that the movie is reference point for most people.

I don't know which the whole production followed. All I know is that in the few minutes I saw, it tracked the music, script, staging blocking, choreography and costumes of the movie very closely. Except the talent. But in all fairness: come'on...who on earth is going to one-up Julie Andrews in the role she made famous. It's Julie Andrews!

I had no idea who the girl was until I also saw the snarky "waiting for Jesus to take the wheel of this show". Then I put it together that she was a C&W star. Pretty clever remark, but a little mean spirited.

Of the few minutes I saw, I thought it was bad. But then, I like "The Nanny"...not sure my opinion of anything artistic counts for much. If people enjoyed it or had good bonding with their kids over it, then maybe that makes it priceless to some folks. Since I refuse to even let my kids come anywhere near prime time programming due to language and sexual content, it is hard to discount the non-artistic value of family friendly viewing.

Comment

Working...
                              X