Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

How did your football teams do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How did your football teams do?

i've got to say..i'm quite the sooner fan this week gotta love the insane football season!

laura

Comment

Originally posted by uvagradk
      Stella,

It was sad wasn't it? I felt like this was the year we could beat our backwoods brethren. Even more sad though was letting myself feel after the game that this just may be how it's always going to be with Tech (in footballl anyway). We'll still whip their @sses in basketball, soccer, lacrosse, baseball, swimming, wrestling, volleyball, etc. And they'll still become Carolina fans during basketball season. But it hurts.

ETA: Were you at the game? I was at home but I've read that Casteen and the entire athletic department essentially made it a Tech lovefest. From what I've read, it wasn't just a classy moment of silence for Tech slain, but was pre-game and halftime homage to the whole school [not related to horrific event]. And really weird stuff, like having a special ceremony at half-time to pay tribute to Tech's NFL great Bruce Smith. Why on earth would you allow your rival school to spend halftime at your stadium honoring one of their alums [for his athletic achievements]. Totally baffling. Then Virginia has old governor Kaine [did he really graduate from Tech or does he just have a man crush on them?] popping up everywhere giving the rah, rah for Tech.

Anyway, back to regularly scheduled programming.
      Kevin, you're kidding. I thought it was just the announcers that had a hard-on for Tech. Apparently not. I would have expected a moment of silence, but all that?? COME ON! What about our alums that have done well? The Barbers? Shaub? How about retiring Long's jersey? Why wasn't that more important that glorifying a bunch of classless rednecks in OUR house? I'm shocked...and really disappointed.

I'm disappointed we lost (of course.) I really thought we'd pull through this year - especially since that was my birthday. Apparently, someone more important at VT has better juju than I do...

I REALLY hate that we kick their asses in EVERYTHING but football, and yet they still like to rub it in our faces that they won. I hate Tech. Castrated turkeys. Ugh.

I should probably stop talking about it. I've been overly conditioned to be disgusted every time I see the logo or hear the name. Please excuse me.

Comment

Happy Belated Birthday! I got mine over with the weekend before so as not to mix pleasure with Virginia football pain. Nice plan, huh?

Well, Tiki was there but I mean Tech could've honored THEIR player on THEIR field the week prior.

Yes, ESPN has always had so much love for Tech (for years). See Blacksburg has the BEST fans in the nation. Bud Foster represents EVERY working man nation-wide when he brings his "lunch pail" to the sidelines. Oh, and don't forget "aw, shucks" Beamer who invented Beamer ball. Then, it's been "move along here nothing to see folks" with the Vick BROTHERS, academic standards, etc.

That said, the two commentators (never seen 'em before) were giving UVa props. And the man crushes on Tech seem to have become latent. BUT....IT KILLED me when they went into UVa's tailgate lots and had TECH fans "introduce" their lineup on the tv. I mean geez. If you didn't know better you'd think the game took place in Blacksburg. Grrrrr...

Bottom line is we'd have to be willing to do things a different way to compete with them. I'm serious. Do you see any Apparel and Clothing management majors at Virginia? Anyway. I've got to get some meds for this problem!

Comment

Originally posted by uvagradk
          Happy Belated Birthday! I got mine over with the weekend before so as not to mix pleasure with Virginia football pain. Nice plan, huh?

Well, Tiki was there but I mean Tech could've honored THEIR player on THEIR field the week prior.

Yes, ESPN has always had so much love for Tech (for years). See Blacksburg has the BEST fans in the nation. Bud Foster represents EVERY working man nation-wide when he brings his "lunch pail" to the sidelines. Oh, and don't forget "aw, shucks" Beamer who invented Beamer ball. Then, it's been "move along here nothing to see folks" with the Vick BROTHERS, academic standards, etc.

That said, the two commentators (never seen 'em before) were giving UVa props. And the man crushes on Tech seem to have become latent. BUT....IT KILLED me when they went into UVa's tailgate lots and had TECH fans "introduce" their lineup on the tv. I mean geez. If you didn't know better you'd think the game took place in Blacksburg. Grrrrr...

Bottom line is we'd have to be willing to do things a different way to compete with them. I'm serious. Do you see any Apparel and Clothing management majors at Virginia? Anyway. I've got to get some meds for this problem!
          As soon as you find a prescribing doctor, hook me up!

I guess that is the part that bothers me so much... that some (most) teams, like Tech, allow their athletes to just skate through the rest of their college lives. 20% of Tech's football players are majoring in "Residential property management" - wth? What does that mean? Interesting since only 0.4% of Tech's total student population is majoring in the same nonsense - probably the basketball team. It just boggles my mind that coaches and athletes are so willing to sacrifice intellect (not that the VT students have much to begin with ) and morals for a stupid rematch with Boston College.

Groh, on the other hand, and Virginia in general, has always been very resolute when it comes to the importance of academics and good behavior. I'm sure that the little fight that broke out at the end will get that player some extra work from Groh that isn't required by NCAA. In fact, most of the "punishments" that Groh hands out aren't required by anyone. He's kept big players out of big games before because their grades weren't up to snuff. And in the end, I certainly value that much more than an ACC title. So maybe I'm actually proud of not being first. We have other things that are important too. And at least I know that everyone else out their with a Virginia degree worked for it just like I did. (Well, maybe with the help of a tutor and a lenient attendance policy, but ya know... close anyway. )

And yes, Tech certainly should have honored whomever they honored on THEIR turf on their own time. I don't want to sound completely audacious, but does one horrible tragedy give you THAT much leeway? I just don't think it's fair. And Vick? Ugh. I'm so ashamed that he's from this state. Yet his Tech background doesn't surprise me at all. That whole family is screwed up. Backwoods. Back. woods.

I can't stand Beamer either. He really rubs me the wrong way. He's always sneering.

Comment

Orange Bowl & VT Hokies - here we come! :rah:
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Go get em!

Comment

Adele is ready for her first bowl game - GO Hawks!

Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Adele is ready for her first bowl game - GO Hawks!
                  Crack me up! Have we told you what a absolute doll she is? Of course, she'd look better if the KU were transposed to say UK.

Kelly
                  In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

dh and i dont do football. not college anyways. (patriots...im a new englander, remember...16-0 thank u very much )

anyhow...about three weeks ago the WVU football coach left and went to michigan. whoopdi do. riiiight. OMG! i have never heard so much anger in my life! it was hysterical! what was the headline of the local news here everynight for a week...the 6.00 and 11.00 news? the coach leaving!! come on!

one morning, i was driving ds to pre-school. the two dj's on the station i listen to were going on and on about it. the one dj is from michigan and he is a michigan fan. after the station manager told him no, he still played the michigan fight song. he was SUSPENDED for the rest of the day. he got hate mail and calls, and threats. he was threatened with getting fired. are you kidding me!!!? he didnt, but had to apologize a gazillion times.

football is all the people have here. no joke. it's actually sad. many of the people here havent even graduated h.s. but they act like they play for WVU.

sorry for the rant. i just dont get it. unless of course the school is your alma matter.

(oh, and people seriously buy navy blue cars here, just so they can put the yellow(gold) WVU stickers and pin stripes on their cars)
                    ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

I lost a boatload of respect for Dungy and the Colts for GIVING the game to the Titans, thereby knocking the Browns out of the playoffs. Come on!

Comment

Originally posted by rainbabies
                        about three weeks ago the WVU football coach left and went to michigan. whoopdi do. riiiight. OMG! i have never heard so much anger in my life! it was hysterical! what was the headline of the local news here everynight for a week...the 6.00 and 11.00 news? the coach leaving!! come on!

one morning, i was driving ds to pre-school. the two dj's on the station i listen to were going on and on about it. the one dj is from michigan and he is a michigan fan. after the station manager told him no, he still played the michigan fight song. he was SUSPENDED for the rest of the day. he got hate mail and calls, and threats. he was threatened with getting fired. are you kidding me!!!? he didnt, but had to apologize a gazillion times.
                        See, up here (at Michigan ) we thought that hiring Rich Rodriguez was a genius move.

Seriously, though, there were a couple of articles in the paper here about Rodriguez's family members being threatened, his mailbox being vandalized, etc. I really can't imagine being so upset about something like that. Crazy.
                        ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                        -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Working...
                        X