Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Hello and thank you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello and thank you

Hello, I am so relieved to find a community out there that understand what my husband and I are going threw. Whew. What a challenge. We moved to San Francisco just this past June, from Chicago. Finally the boxes are unpacked, the cat made it out, and my job is finally starting next week. It has been wonderful to have some time off from my job, however I am very excited to get into my own routine.
    Wondering if anyone can offer some advice. My husband is in his first year of ENT (intern year) and is hating it. He is exhausted and stressed. His first four months (two nearly down!) are supposedly the hardest of the year (currently finishing out his month of nights). Initially, he was worried that he was not cut out to do medicine. After my gentle reminders of our massive loans and his commitment to the field (four years med school, two years trying to get into med school, now a move across the country!) and the wide variety of specialties in ENT and in medicine, he has now changed his worries to changing residency programs to radiology. He feels that he will be better suited for "shift work" and not dealing with the uncertainties of patient care. Honestly I don't care what he does, however prolonging residency beyond the original five years seems like torture....I mean come on enough already!
    Sorry, this is long. I am just not sure how to handle this. I really feel he is just stressed and overwhelmed and feeling out of control. I feel that once he gets past these first few years he will have control and be able to make it what he want. Does this sound unsupportive?
    Oh, so stressful.
    Anyways, thanks for being out there.

Re: Hello and thank you

We have an ENT in my husband's year right now.

All I have to say is... hang in there!

I was told by other wives here that at some point during thier intern year, your husband will HATE his profession, lucky for you, you are getting it out of the way first (just trying to find a silver lining). Just be supportive, listen to him gripe, it will pass.

I would lovingly tell him too keep in mind that this year is the "hardest" and that things can only get better.

I feel for you and know this must be a tough situation! This forum is a great place for support...

Comment

Welcome and good luck. I think they all doubt their choices in the beginning.
      Luanne
      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Glad you found us, this is a wonderful place to find support from those who can truly relate.
        Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

If you enjoy intern year -- I think you need a psych eval.

Intern year is humbling scut work and the hours are a shock to anyone's system

Keep your head down. DO NOT complain.
          Get through it.

That's all you can do!

Welcome!
          Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

welcome! glad you found us. intern year is the devil in disguise!! hang in there.
            ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Welcome!

They have so much to deal with at the beginning of intern year - the long hours, the steep learning curve, plus learning how things work in the hospital. Hopefully he will feel better in a month or so.

Comment

Welcome! We speak your language here!

Kelly
                In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                  X