Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

surgical residency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You will survive. We moved 8 hours from our families, but we didn't have any children during most of residency, so that made it easier. I am also a teacher and once you start that will be an awesome support network. Honestly, those 5 years of residency are some of the best memories of our married lives. I loved my teaching job and my life! I didn't sit around moaning and waiting for life to happen until he was home. I just lived. I had great friends and a great job! You will do great! I know it is overwhelming at first and a kid will put more of a strain ( I didn't have to worry about childcare during those years. We waiting until that very last year before we had a kid, and that year was hard for me...) You will make it. Hubby was just saying that he cannot believe that he has been in private practice for 20 years now!!! The bad news is, the schedule won't get any better when he gets out...better than that intern year, yes, but it has been just as busy as the other years. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A SUPPORT SYSTEM!!! Do NOT rely on him for your emotional support or even much physical support. Good luck!

Comment

Welcome!! As you can already see, you've come to the right place and you're in great company. Intern year was the worst year of training by far for us so I can assure you it does get better. Just take it day by day and come here for support or vent as often as you need to. I'm glad you found us.
      Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Welcome! Surgery residency is awful -- but it can be done!
        Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Welcome!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
          Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
          Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Hi and welcome! Best wishes on your new job!
            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

My husband and I have been married for 20 years. Knew each other long before medicine. He's a neurosurgeon with an MDPhD. An attending at an academic institution with a clinical/research split. We were together throughout residency. came into residency with 1 kid, had two more, had a fourth the first year of attendinghood and now expect our fifth.

We lived nowhere near family in residency, but it wasn't bad. We were at a great institution in a family friendly town. Yeah, he worked a lot of hours, and I worked (and still work) full-time, but it was a good life anyway. Perspective, patience, and low expectations in terms of daily stuff is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife View Post
                My husband and I have been married for 20 years. Knew each other long before medicine. He's a neurosurgeon with an MDPhD. An attending at an academic institution with a clinical/research split. We were together throughout residency. came into residency with 1 kid, had two more, had a fourth the first year of attendinghood and now expect our fifth.

We lived nowhere near family in residency, but it wasn't bad. We were at a great institution in a family friendly town. Yeah, he worked a lot of hours, and I worked (and still work) full-time, but it was a good life anyway. Perspective, patience, and low expectations in terms of daily stuff is the way to go.
                You're still my hero 🙌🏼🙌🏼

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                sigpic
                buckeye born, raised, and educated... thankfully, so is my wonderful med student husband...

Comment

dw had 2 kids.. one 2 weeks after step1 and another during intern yr. i say-- you must be flexible - that's mentally, physically. it's tough, just adapt to life the best you can. (get as much help as possible too).

Comment

Working...
                  X