Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

MN Newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MN Newbie

I am very excited to find this forum. I had been searching for physician mortgages when I stumbled upon this. What a wonderful support system!

My DH and I have been together since hte first day of medical school. I was a single mother of 3 working in a med school FT and attending graduate school FT (for my MFA). I thought he was another grad student when we met! A few months ago we added baby #4. So, we are a truly full house.

DH graduated in Dec and has been a SAHD since then. We have ranked and are now anxiously awaiting match. He had a few calls / mail from programs that told him he was "ranked highly" on their list. One called which we were not expecting - which threw us into a tailspin. We really sat down and looked over our rank list again. It was a week of negotiation and discussion about career and family. We finally ranked number one a program that had called him. Does this mean that we will end up there?

I am currently working as an instructional technologist at a college and teach instructors how to teach online, create animations, graphics, etc. It is fun, but I look forward to staying at home and working from there (teaching online and consulting).

Our children are ages 11, 6, 4, and 6 months. We are even talking about #5!

DH has applied to Gen Surg programs. Keep your fingers crossed. 2 weeks and 2 days until we find out!

We have ordered boxes and have started packing. Looking online for potential houses at our #1 pick. We ope to attend match day in Mpls and drive south from there to look.

That is my simple but extremely long "hello".

Welcome, and good luck with Matching!
    Alison

Comment

Welcome, this a great place to see what is happening/will happen/has happened in the medical family/marriage timeline!!

Comment

Welcome, glad you found us. This is a great place for support.
        Luanne
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Welcome! I've heard that it is better, also, to move before school gets out so the kids can make friends before summer break. Good luck with the match--it is scary and exciting at the same time!
          Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Ok I just asked you a bunch a questions in the other forum. Then I saw your post.. My dh graduated in January so he is at home now until he starts residency in June. Aren't you getting excited to move? What is your number one choice? You said you were heading south maybe so I thought it might me Rochester but maybe you meant way south...

Comment

welcome

Awesome! We're also anxiously awaiting the match. Maybe we'll see you on Match Day in Minneapolis - my DW is also participating from the U of M.

Good luck!

Comment

Another MN mom...and a mom of 4 at that!! Our little ones are 10, 8 1/2, 6 and 1 1/2 and we are also in the process of deciding about #5! It sounds like we have a lot in common!

I hope you guys end up matching in the program that you are hoping to! I don't suppose you put U of M someone on your list though?

Welcome to the group!

Kris
                ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona
                  Another MN mom...and a mom of 4 at that!! Our little ones are 10, 8 1/2, 6 and 1 1/2 and we are also in the process of deciding about #5! It sounds like we have a lot in common!

I hope you guys end up matching in the program that you are hoping to! I don't suppose you put U of M someone on your list though?
                  How do you handle it with 4?

No, U of M wasn't on the list DH just graduated from the U of M med school - and I graduated from the Uof M Duluth graduate school. I think we are ready to move away from the U of M system

Also, I prefer the size of Duluth. Dh grew up in Chicago, while I grew up in Northern MN. I can handle the cold, but not the size! Hopefully we will be about 80 minutes south of you (Rochester).

DH did get a call from the PD telling him that he is one of their top. So, we are 98% certain where we will be. Only 15 days left... I hate this wait!

Comment

Originally posted by nattysmor
                    My dh graduated in January so he is at home now until he starts residency in June. Aren't you getting excited to move? What is your number one choice? You said you were heading south maybe so I thought it might me Rochester but maybe you meant way south...
                    Is your DH getting antsy? Mine is tired of being at home. He had these grand illusions that he would get a lot of things done (with 4 kids - ha).

Rochester where we are hoping. Then again, everything is further south than where we are now (practically the artic circle). Where are you hoping?

Comment

Re: welcome

Originally posted by toft21
                      Awesome! We're also anxiously awaiting the match. Maybe we'll see you on Match Day in Minneapolis - my DW is also participating from the U of M.

Good luck!
                      Very cool! Good luck to you too!
                      We are still trying to decide whether to attend Match Day. Do we pull the kids out of school for the day? Hmmmm.
                      One day we say "yes" and the next "no". I know it is supposed to be a huge event.

Comment

Honestly, I'm not sure how many people are allowed to attend the actual event. I would hope that families would be allowed. Being the child-less family we are, it'll just be us, so we're excited to attend and join in the festivities following. Great excuse to take a day off of work!!

I think definitely you and your DH should attend.

Comment

Hi Miranda.

My Dh is more than antsy and he is driving me nuts. Getting all involved in the household stuff, grrr.

We actually matched in the middle of January. We are going to La Crosse, WI for internal medicine. We could sign out of the match cuz my DH is an IMG. But I think match day is exciting anyway.

I think it would be great if you matched in Rochester. Our midwest get-to-gether will be huge!

ps I went to UWS right across the bridge from UMD!

Comment

Originally posted by nattysmor

My Dh is more than antsy and he is driving me nuts. Getting all involved in the household stuff, grrr.

We actually matched in the middle of January. We are going to La Crosse, WI for internal medicine. We could sign out of the match cuz my DH is an IMG. But I think match day is exciting anyway.

I think it would be great if you matched in Rochester. Our midwest get-to-gether will be huge!

ps I went to UWS right across the bridge from UMD!
                            We have ordered boxes to start packing. They are much cheaper online. Well, if it is not Rochester, then it could be LaCrosse! Rochester and LaCrosse are in close proximity, anyway.

Great to "see" an area graduate here! Are you still in the area?

Comment

e have ordered boxes to start packing. They are much cheaper online. Well, if it is not Rochester, then it could be LaCrosse! Rochester and LaCrosse are in close proximity, anyway.

Great to "see" an area graduate here! Are you still in the area?

I know what you mean about starting to pack. I do a little everyday. Since we have taken stuff the numerous times we have been back to the US in the last two years I feel as if the packing isn't so bad yet. It will be hard to pack the rest of our apt. in the 8 suitcases when me finally move though. I don't mind living in emptiness cuz that means we are moving soon. I want to pack every toy away but my poor kids wouldn't have anything to do then, so I guess toys will be last minute.

Oh I didn't graduate from UWS, I moved here to Copenhagen with my husband after two years of college, but I do know the are quite well. I also grew up in northern Wisconsin, so I'm anxious to get back to Wisconsin.

Comment

Working...
                              X