Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Trapped in Paradise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trapped in Paradise

Hello everyone,

I felt fortunate today to have found a community that shares my torments and from what I have so far read, there are many with genuine concern. Boy I need some of that!

To be honest, I feel unworthy to some extent to be posting my problems after reading med spouses with children and years of estrangement...all those things that make my problems look small.

But my story, like everyone, is unique and apart from my mother, (I´m such a mamma´s boy) I have no one to turn to that seems to understand.

I met my wife while living in Costa Rica, while she was working her way through medical school as a nurse. uh..yeh, she was my nurse..what can I say about that, huh! Her courage and commitment to her field of study was an endearing quality and one of the many reasons I fell in love with her.

Our relationship grew to the point where she sacrificed her personal timeline to move back with me to the United States where we´d make a home for ourselves. But such a sacrifice would not be something I would accept as an end to her dreams, so I committed to supporting her finishing up her education as required in Costa Rica, which meant one more year: The dreaded internship year.

As timing would have it, we married, and not even a year passed before she was packing up and moving back to Costa Rica for a year for the internship. We felt our love was strong enough to do the distance thing, as we did that while she finished her medical schooling and me my studies in the states.

But I must have missed the memo on the Medical Student Spouse Syndrome.

What has proven to be the hardest year of her life has taken its toll on our relationship to the point that I have no idea what to do and where to turn.

I was able to visit every 3 months, as working as an engineer for the federal government has its benefits of good leave. What more could one ask for, than to make a trip to the tropics every 3 months, especially to be with the person you think of every day in a bacelorhood that you no longer want!

But with every visit, it got more difficult, and the tensions between us became more strained. Now I write here today with frayed nerves on my final visit. A visit that I planned would be celebratory and fun, as she has now finished her internship as of Dec. 31. I arrived just before Christmas, but I can say that I came to a wife that was completely different. Hollow. A walking shell of a person who seems to have to muster all her strength and energy just to give me a hug.

Since then, much has transpired, and my radar is gone off the wire with ugly machinations of infidelity and hopelessness about our future. There is zero emotional intimacy, and considering sitting next to each other on the couch watching a movie is out of the question, I think it is well established that any physical intimacy is out of the question. This of course bred the thoughts of another man who took my place while we were thousands of miles apart, and her lack of desire to be open makes her seem suspicious and secretive, only making matters worse.

I turned first to my mother, who divorced my dad a few years back, and she turned me to divorcebusting.com and I realized that I really needed to establish space, rather than pursue her as I was making things much worse on her.

So these past few days I´ve felt trapped in paradise, as I cannot come home early because of available flights, and her and I are leading two lives joined only by civility. I catch glimpses of hope from time to time, but her level of mental and emotional exhaustion still weighs her down beyond respite. There is nothing I can do.

It got me to wondering if I was not alone...if there were spouses of medical students who, like me, at a loss of how to possibly compare their emotional stress to that of the intern have no way of venting. After all, how dare I go to her and say that my year has been hard when I worked 40 hrs a week with benefits and she had to deal with the crap of her residents and chiefs at 70+ hrs a week without the benefits of days off or sick leave.

But the toll has been so great and I don´t know what to do. My only relief is that she does not move immediately into her next year, as now she will focus on transferring her training into the US through the US Medical Boards before finding a school to do her full residency.

Thanks for listening to a young, desparate Mr. MD who wants nothing more but to have his wife back.

Siempre.

Hey-

Don't discount your end of the deal, really. Yeah, they work hard- but chances are it's doing something that they really, really want to do. The rest of us fell in love with someone whose job sucks ass for the other party. I mean, the fact that there are almost 700 members of an online support group for medical spouses clearly indicates that there's something a wee bit malignant about the profession, don't you think?

I think you're right to give her some space, but at the same time, do not hold back your thoughts and feelings, either. Sometimes, they need a kick in the 'pants' to remember that it's not all about them, and their flippin' medical lifestyle. I can't think of a member here who hasn't occasionally has to sit down and remind the Dawkter that no one died and made them God.

the bottom line is that the medical spouse does somewhere between 50 and 100 percent of the work at any given time- it's not fair, it's not fun, and it's hard. Give yourself credit for sticking around.

She also may be terrified about what comes next in her career. At every major juncture in the career path, my husband gets a serious case of the funks- he's not good enough, he's not smart enough, he's never going to be able to do ______. It takes a good 3-6 months of him wallowing in it before 1) I get tired of it and 2) so does he.

Do take care of yourself. and so if you're stuck in paradise- go out and enjoy it. Our mantra here is do your own thing because there's no guarantees that they'll be around anyway.

Keep us posted.

Jenn

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement, Jenn. I may have to lay off the relationship talk until at least she comes home. For now I´m having a hard enough time finding things to do around here...We´re too far from the beach!!

My gut says that once she gets home and she´s reunited with our ´daughter` (2 y-o puppy) and surrounded by the things that are ours that remind us of what we had prior to her leaving, she may get out of this funk.

That´s actually been my greatest concern. How does one tell if one is giving enough space in a healthy way before it turns into one more justification for her in thinking things aren´t worth saving since I don´t pay much attention to her anymore (if only she knew!)...do you know what I´m saying?

PMA. Positive Mental Attitude. That´s all I gotta have...easier said than done.

Cheers.

Comment

It's nice to have you. Jenn gives good advice. The distance makes things twice as hard, I'm sure. Still, if I had divorced my husband every time he became a distant, hollow shell of a man .... well... divorcebusters.com would have more business. I'm sure she is pre-occupied with her training. It is so all-consuming. It will be easier when the two of you are both in the states - if only because you will be more certain she hasn't found another. I'm sure you have gathered that you are not alone from the number of posts here. Hang in there.
        Angie
        Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
        Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Welcome to the troops. Jenn's advice is perfect. As Angie said, if we thought divorce every time they become a hollow shell we wouldn't be here in this group. Give it time, do your own thing, and give her time to regroup herself.
          Luanne
          Luanne
          wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

ditto what they said....

Comment

Thanks amigos,

The revelation has been slow coming that me being down here causes a huge imbalance in things. When she lived at home, we both had our own personal side of life...hobbies, activities done while alone, etc...If there was a need for space, it could easily be achieved without the other going too crazy.

But here, my life is back home, and my ´personal life´happens to be my wife while down here...there´s only so much the credit card can handle when trying to be a tourist when that was never your intent for coming! haha As a result the pressure of me here and her seeking to reestablish herself has put us in a purgatory such that we both wish for Tuesday to come as quickly as possible.

ah well. Gotta put things on cruise control and get to the end so I can get home and recenter! I look forward to getting to know y´all.

cheers,

siempre

Comment

Feeling your pain

First of all let me say I hope things are going better at this writing! I had to add, (brace for impact): in your spouses defense...do not underestimate the fatigue factor! When I bring up unpleasant memories from intern year, my husband asks, "huh? when did I say/do that?" And I don't think he's faking to get out of trouble. Only when I had 2 kids (19 mo. apart) did I start to "get" how irritable and uncaring fatigue can make you. You sort of describe a woman running on fumes. I say, let a few weeks pass so energy can re-enter her body! I can literally "feel" the difference in my husband when he comes out of a stupor...it's like a light switch going on and then I think, "oh yeah, he is fun, I do love him"...
                And I think you are right on: when you are in your environment with other things to focus on, you will likely be able to find better balance (both of you). Good luck.

Comment

Thanks NanTan,

It's been awhile since I've gotten a chance to visit here. I'm back home in my own element and am doing my best to keep myself busy and preoccupied.

The first week after I left, there was complete silence...but things have started to warm a bit and I'm letting her instigate all phone conversations, so she speaks to me when she has the energy. But I try to send an email with my thoughts often.

We're a long way off from reconnecting on an emotional level, but I must just keep a positive mental attitude and hope that all this is related to her intern year. However, poking and prodding from my counselor has me thinking this may have a lot to do with the fact that my mother was recently diagnosed with Hereditary Ataxia, a degenerative movement disorder much like parkinsons. Now it's a 50/50 chance that I may have it and I will need to be tested. All this I think has taken my wife very hard and she feels trapped, knowing that if I have it, she will eventually have to become my caretaker much earlier than she'll need care--not to mention that kids may become out of the question, which shatters some mutual dreams we have. I'm thinking this may be having a huge impact on the emotional distancing she's doing.

Rough situation...but there's nothing I can do but project positively into what little connection we still have and hope that once she comes home in mid-Feb she'll realize what she's missed over the last year and we can start to rebuild. Can't say I'm not scared to death though.

Comment

However, poking and prodding from my counselor has me thinking this may have a lot to do with the fact that my mother was recently diagnosed with Hereditary Ataxia, a degenerative movement disorder much like parkinsons. Now it's a 50/50 chance that I may have it and I will need to be tested. All this I think has taken my wife very hard and she feels trapped, knowing that if I have it, she will eventually have to become my caretaker much earlier than she'll need care--not to mention that kids may become out of the question, which shatters some mutual dreams we have.
                    I'm so sorry about this news! I'm sure it does way heavily on her mind. She probably doesn't have the energy to process this and work things out with you right now due to the demands of internship and the distance between you. It's a very difficult situation for you both. I'm sorry for your mother and I hope your tests show that you will not be affected in the future.
                    Angie
                    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Thanks goofy,
                      When faced with the unchangeable realities of a genetic roulette wheel, it really opens your eyes up to what's really important. My mom has taken a new approach to her life, knowing that in as little as 10 years, things like bike riding and snowshoeing will be something she won't be able to do...so she's treating it like a new lease on life. It's good to see her put such a positive foot forward...I think it's easier for the person who has the disease sometimes, as they have no choice but to accept it...but for the person who would be a caretaker it must be so difficult.

I do pray for a negative test result, but if it is positive, my life will move forward. Not much I can do about that, eh?

Comment

Sending good thoughts your way.
                        Luanne
                        Luanne
                        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
                        X