Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Can we quote using the @?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we quote using the @?

Hi mods/everyone else,

Is there a way for us to enable the site to quote using the "@" sign? I have no idea if this has been considered or not but if it hasn't, could we do so. I'm on another forum where it is possible to tag people for responses and it really does promote lively conversation because you can agree with someone or comment and it pages them back into the thread so they know that there's ongoing discussion. Just another way to continue discussion and lively conversation.

Thoughts? Questions? Rude gestures?

Thanks,
    E
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Alternately, I've been wondering if there's an option that can be turned on to email people when there are responses to their posts. It'd annoy me and I'd turn it off, but I've seen on lots of other forums that people mention they don't come back to check their threads because they assume they'll be emailed if anyone posts to them...
    Alison

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
      Alternately, I've been wondering if there's an option that can be turned on to email people when there are responses to their posts. It'd annoy me and I'd turn it off, but I've seen on lots of other forums that people mention they don't come back to check their threads because they assume they'll be emailed if anyone posts to them...
      I think we have this but it sends it to the thread starter. You can enable it for specific threads. At least, we had it when I first joined. I don't use it because I got dozens of emails.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
      Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I've actually been wondering about this too! I know with other vB forums (ClickinMoms is the one I'm thinking about), you can mention users, and they get a notification, and they can also get a notification when you quote them (so it wouldn't be every reply, but you could quote if you wanted them notified). I'd REALLY love these features, especially when the board gets busier and I don't necessarily have time to read all of the threads.

It looks like they're using Advanced User Tagging (Pro).

From the site:
        3 Months: US $34.95 / £22.45 / €29.95
        1 Years: US $49.95 / £32.45 / €42.45
        Lifetime: US $79.95 / £49.95 / €67.45

I'm happy to contribute toward the cost if the admins are interested! I know there's more involved with addons than just cost though, I just didn't want that to be a holdup.
        Last edited by alotofyarn; 10-10-2014, 12:41 PM.
        Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Wow. Fantastic! Thanks!
          ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
          ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Yay!!! Thanks Kris for considering our suggestion.
            Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I get email notifications for pretty much every response in a thread where I've commented.

Comment

I am the same with DD, I get email notifications for threads where I have commented, or if I hit the subscribe to thread at the top.
                Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

But this would even allow you to page someone into a thread who hadn't commented. I turned off the notifications on threads because I comment too much (#sorrynotsorry).

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
                    But this would even allow you to page someone into a thread who hadn't commented. I turned off the notifications on threads because I comment too much (#sorrynotsorry).
                    This. I don't want notifications about every single thread I post in, just when somebody has something specific to say to me.
                    Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Huh. I didn't know you could get notifications. (Really crappy moderator!!!)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Meant to comment on this when the topic first came up but more than once I've thought "dang I wish I could @ reply to someone in this thread". I think it'd be a useful feature, I'd be willing to donate if it's a function you have to buy and it's a popular idea.
                        Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

I think it could even help our goal of initiating more conversation because there is one more tool for back and forth.

Comment

Bumping...

Comment

I think we agreed we would do this. I had to send my lenovo out for repair and it has all of my FTP software on it. When it gets back, I'll fire this up. I'm a little squeemish about the 2 star review, but it can't hurt to try.

Kris
                              ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                              ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Working...
                              X