Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Vaccinations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure. I know the recommendation has changed from at birth to at birth or with the 2 month shots. I chose to wait to 2 months and do the Hib/HepB combo.

Comment

According to the CDC, prior to the "at birth" recommendation, 30-40% of all HBV infections were contracted during birth and early childhood. Most of these were mother to baby transmissions, but Hep B can live for a long while outside of the body, so there is more risk than with other viruses that don't survive.

I know the reason our hospital does it at birth instead of at an 8-week visit is because of the low compliance with well baby checks. We have about 25-35% of our newborns in any given month who are missing their 8-week check. Most of these babies are eventually brought in, but we would miss a good window of opportunity to get that first dose in. Additionally, most of the babies who aren't getting in on time for their first visit are the ones we would be most concerned about contracting the disease.

I have to add - I have a really hard time making sure I'm getting my daughter in when I'm supposed to, etc. I'm educated, have a high reading level, am a healthcare worker, etc. However, I WISH my peds office had some kind of reminder system! Does anyone else have this problem? I almost wish we were back in the days of a check-up every month. The randomness of well-baby checks makes me nuts.
      -Deb
      Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Oops -- I meant to say that I know the recommendation has changed over the last 7 years. I think it is currently at birth (which I declined).

Those reasons make sense, Deb. I think that is also the reason I had such a hard time leaving the hospital with my second. The nursery wanted 24 hours or something before doing the newborn screen (or the second one?) because those are more accurate. I had to super-duper promise I would take her in for a 3 day old check and the second heel stick. Actually, DH did because I was getting a little... . I understand the concerns about being lost to follow-up but I wish they would have understood that not every patient is non-compliant.

Comment

I can guarantee that the ladies in our clinic don't bring their babies in for well-baby visits- these ladies are the ER high utilizers.

Add to it that Texas changed 'how' people access the CHIP program (Childrens Health Insurance Program) so that thousands dropped off the roles- which looks great until you than compare the stats for uninsured ER visits which have continue to increase even as the ERs are sutting down for lack of funds.

(yes, this is a tangent)

It's the same with the HPV vaccine. There is a scary potential to make a dual -class system based on income BUT at the same time, unless these people have adequate access to healthcare, vaccinations seem to be the most cost effective illness-preventative we have. and I'd much rather eat the cost of a Medicaid patient getting an HPV vaccine than that same person in 20 or 30 years needing subsidized oncology care. (as a taxpayer and on the basic human level)

Jenn

ETA: the cold hard reality is that there already is a dual or tri level access to care based on income. Those without insurance, those with insurance and those who can afford to pay out of pocket.

Comment

Originally posted by JaneDoe
            Originally posted by samssugarmomma
            One of DH's soapboxes is the "MMR shot/mercury causes autism" topic. When people bring it up.....it's not pretty!
            I just don't understand why some people are so convinced of a link between the two. As far as I know, there have been no peer-reviewed studies that suggest a link between the MMR and autism. Without the MMR shot, a child is more likely to get one of the MMRs than autism. I just don't get it.
            That's what I meant - sorry if I was confusing!

A friend of DH's cousin didn't vaccinate her second child because her first "caught" autism from the shot. I thought his head was going to pop off!
            Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by JaneDoe
              One of DH's soapboxes is the "MMR shot/mercury causes autism" topic. When people bring it up.....it's not pretty!
              I just don't understand why some people are so convinced of a link between the two. As far as I know, there have been no peer-reviewed studies that suggest a link between the MMR and autism. Without the MMR shot, a child is more likely to get one of the MMRs than autism. I just don't get it.
              That's what I meant - sorry if I was confusing!

A friend of DH's cousin didn't vaccinate her second child because her first "caught" autism from the shot. I thought his head was going to pop off!
              Oh . . . I'm sorry for the confusion. I understood what you meant. I was just adding to your point of view by saying that I just don't understand why there is such controversy about the MMR.
              Wife of Ophthalmologist and Mom to my daughter and two boys.

Comment

MMR isn't made with thimerosol (or whatever had the mercury) any longer, is it?

Comment

The flu vaccine is the only shot that still has thimerosol in it from what I understand.

Comment

You can see the Thermosil and Mercury content of specific vaccines at the following link. Thermosil was removed from required infant vaccines in 2001 (it was removed from most in 1997).

http://www.fda.gov/cber/vaccine/thimerosal.htm#t2
                    -Deb
                    Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

All kids are caught up with their immunizations. I am more laid back about the Hep B vaccine at birth. With Emma she got it at birth, and I think the boys I declined until their 6 week check-up. Also not all states have Comvax (Hib/HepB) or other combination vaccinations. When we lived in Seattle, if my preggo memory serves me right, Brigham received separate shots for the Hib and HepB.

I do delay the Varicella vaccine until 18 months. Our ped in Seattle said, in her experience and literature read, that when given before 15 months the vaccine was most likely not to work, but after 15 months, preferrably 18 months to 2 years, that the vaccine had a higher success rate. I have done it with all three kids, and so far (knock on wood) we haven't had any break-out cases in Emma or Brigham, even when there was an outbreak at their preschool earlier this year. Also I was scared for life when I had the chicken pox, and had a really bad case of it, hence I would like to spare my kids the misery I went through- in my throat, all over my body (my mom duct taped oven mitts on my hands), in my nose. The pictures are not pretty.

I tend to err on the side of caution. Dh is around some sick people, and so the kids will be immunized for whatever. We even get flu shots every year. I didn't get one last year, for the first time in 8 years, and I got hit hard with the flu. Not fun having it, being newly pregnant, and having 3 other kids to chase after.

As far as the Gardasil- the jury is still out on that one. We have many years before I have to worry about immunizing Emma, which will give me time to do some more research and stew over it.
                      Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Originally posted by Tabula Rasa
                        I fully vax all of my kids. I am more laid back about the timing, though. I tend to run about three months behind the "normal" schedule - and sometimes as much as six months!
                        Me too. I'm so glad that you said this because I've been feeling so bad about it.

kris
                        ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                        ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Do you all really feel it is necessary to make sure your baby is vax against Hep B if you, yourself had the shots or could get tested to make sure you don't have it and therefore can't pass it on to the baby? Does anyone else question whether the Hep B vax is really necessary for a newborn or infant given the parameters above?

Comment

Originally posted by veggiefriend
                            Do you all really feel it is necessary to make sure your baby is vax against Hep B if you, yourself had the shots or could get tested to make sure you don't have it and therefore can't pass it on to the baby? Does anyone else question whether the Hep B vax is really necessary for a newborn or infant given the parameters above?
                            I haven't been vaccinated against Hep B, so given that I would rather have Emma or any of my other children immunized. An ounce of prevention is a pound of cure. Hypothetical scenario- one of my children is sexually assaulted by a Hep B positive individual, and they get Hep B. I would feel awful knowing that I could have prevented them from getting Hep B.

Dh has been vaccinated, and rightfully so. We have survived 3 needle sticks.

I guess I really see it as a preventative measure more than anything else. I would hope and pray that my children would not become sexually active before marriage nor use drugs, so I guess I see it as one way of protecting my little ones.
                            Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

fully vaxed, but think the vaccines are different.

BCG in hospital 24 hours after birth

5 in 1 (whooping cough, diptheria, tetanus, hib B, and polio) at 2, 4 and 6 months

Meningitis C at 2,4 and 6 months

MMR at 18 months

thats it until booster at 6yrs.

I'm not sure how this will sound, but you kind of hope the kids pick up chicken pox when they got to pre school (age 2.5-3.5) so they don't get it whe they are older, they don't vaccinate against it unless it was contraidicated in a serious medical condition.

We also don't vaccinate against Hep B, only people travelling abroad and healthcare workers and police officers.

Comment

So do you vaccinate?
                                Nope, we use blood-letting and a series of leaches. Works for us!

just kidding, they are all poked when they are needed.

Comment

Working...
                                X