Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

breast feeding, test taking medical mom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• breast feeding, test taking medical mom

OK, I am very pro breast feeding and DW is a super advocate -- she will almost certainly make it a cause in her professional life. But I think this is way over the top.

These tests have built in breaks anyways, DW said she pumped just fine when she took hers, and this lady already is getting to take it over two days because of special accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act for dyslexia and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.

How many special breaks does she need to have? This sets a terrible standard, not to mention it seems like some misguided attention grab to me.

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/mom-seeks- ... 0000000001

I am obviously an advocate for breastfeeding (nursed DS until 2.5 and DD until 22 months) but I think she is being a little ridiculous. For one day you can al little over on your pumping time sister. And 60 minutes to pump to boot. How much is she hoping to pump? I don't know, I suppose I'm lucky in that aspect. With my medela dual pump I never needed more than 15 minutes to get 4 oz on each side. But I would say if it aint coming out in an hour, you better move on and try again later. In an 8 hour shift I only pumped once. I fed DS before I left for work, pumped once at work, and feed him when I got home.

And she's already getting to take the test over a two day period with alloted breaks, what more does she want? Totally off subject and completely irrelavant but a Harvard medical student failing her boards. What's up with that? If Harvard didn't help prepare for her boards, no amount of pumping is going to help her either. I'm mean. I know. But good grief, she can go a day or two being late on the pumping. Her milk bags aren't going to just pack up and leave after two days of delayed pumping. And I am sure there are other people out there who have had to take their boards under more uncomfortable and inconvenient circumstances (ie being sick and freaked out in general).

Comment

She isn't going to like residency much if she is still breastfeeding then.

An hour seems excessive. And to say that she can just make it three hours does as well. Seems over the top. An hour? Like Davita, I'm pro-bf and have pumped plenty.

Comment

Unless she has a track record of mastitis or blocked-ducts w/o maintaining that strict of a schedule, then she's over the top. If there is history to back it up (including records of consults with her physcian, and lactation consultant), then I say she has to stick with the 45 minute limit.

FTR: also very pro breast-feeding. I nursed both boys for nearly a year.

Comment

So, she wants an extra fifteen more minutes to breastfeed (ie 60 minutes rather than 45)?

I honestly don't see the big deal. :huh:

She knows her body better than anyone else. And, if she's had problems with engorgement and mastitis in the past then she knows how often she needs to empty her breasts. I've had to pump a great deal (with my twins particularly - pumped out a quart of milk a day by the time they were about four months old) and I just don't see the big deal here.

I think it is a MUCH bigger issue that she gets to take the test over the course of TWO DAYS because she is dyslexic and claiming adult ADD.

What is more important and valued in our society: Providing babies with breastmilk from their mothers or giving special treatment to those who cannot function in a normal academic setting? The latter is going to cause a lot more problems for her in residency than the former.
          Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
          With fingernails that shine like justice
          And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

I am seriously pro BF (as in, breastfed my kids past 2 yrs, and have actually been breastfeeding one as least one of my kids for almost 5 years straight), and I think this lady is being absurd. My kids have never even had a bottle, and I could easily go 4.5 hours (is the break in the middle of the test? I am assuming so) without nursing or pumping. And what pumping session takes an hour anyways? That is whack!

I wonder what specialty she is going into? Does she really think she will be able to pump at 2 and 3 hour intervals exactly during work? I have known plenty of women residents who pumped for a year or more, but they just had to take the opportunity to pump when it arose.

I mean, did her kids never sleep longer than 2 or 3 hours at a pop? Surely you can go longer than that :huh:
            Rebecca, wife to handsome gyn-onc, and mom 4 awesome kiddos: 8,6,4, and 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Tabula Rasa
              And, if she's had problems with engorgement and mastitis in the past then she knows how often she needs to empty her breasts. .
              The article said she "fears" engorgement and mastitis. I'm not sure if she has a history of it. It's pretty unusual to suffer either thing from just not pumping / feeding over the course of 3 hours. And why would she require more than the already alotted 45 minutes to pump?

Comment

Originally posted by Genivieve

The article said she "fears" engorgement and mastitis. I'm not sure if she has a history of it. It's pretty unusual to suffer either thing from just not pumping / feeding over the course of 3 hours. And why would she require more than the already alotted 45 minutes to pump?
                Plus- it is not as if she needs to do a huge pumping session for just this one occasion. She could pump enough to relieve any pressure (and risk of mastitis) in a few minutes, and have the rest of her break to do with as she pleases :huh:
                Rebecca, wife to handsome gyn-onc, and mom 4 awesome kiddos: 8,6,4, and 2.

Comment

I was pumping about every three hours when my twins were four months old. On the dot practically. And, yes, I had to get up that often at night at that four month mark as well.

And, if I didn't pump that often I definitely would (and, did - one particular time was when I had to delay pumping while ds was recovering from surgery) get clogged ducts.

Annnnd, I've known women who have had to take a lot longer to pump than others. Their letdowns just took FOREVER it seems. That's happened to me on occasion.

Every breastfeeding experience is different - from the mom to that particular baby to the various exterior circumstances. And, it's just an extra fifteen minutes we're talking about here. Just not a big deal imo.
                  Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                  With fingernails that shine like justice
                  And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Originally posted by Malpka
                    Originally posted by Genivieve

Plus- it is not as if she needs to do a huge pumping session for just this one occasion. She could pump enough to relieve any pressure (and risk of mastitis) in a few minutes, and have the rest of her break to do with as she pleases :huh:
                    Exactly, if she is already given a 45 minute, hell a 30 minute break.. that is sufficient time to pump period, if not at least relieve her boobs until she can "adequately" pump. She's only pumping for one human child. You can value breastfeeding as a society and still not be ridiculous about it. She is being ridiculous about it, smells like an "excuse" as to why she can't "succeed" in life. I can't take and pass my boards because they only give me 45 minutes to pump. And of all things she wants to be a doctor. Excuse patient who is cut open and under anesthesia, I have to scrub out to relieve my boobs every two hours, I'll be back in 60 minutes to finish your surgery. No one is saying she can't have a break to pump. She gets a break, a very adequate break. I think someone is more inclined to have a bladder burst than her boobs explode.

And if she happens to have a history of mastitis and clogged ducts she better think of a plan B because there aren't many professions whether they allow the time and freedom to pump that you can just throw down your work and pump at your leisure. I assume she is talking about step 2ck, what the heck is she going to do during step 2cs when they have to do timed and recorded (once you leave the room you're done no turning back even if forgot to wash your hands) patient exam after patient exam? Whatever, I think her behavior is lame. Lame. She wants to wear the big girl pants but get little girl treatment. Lame. Let down typicaly does not take 45 minutes. No joke, I could probably let down 5-10 times in 45 minutes. I know I let down at least 3 times in 15 minutes. Tight pain squeeze, fun fun.

Comment

Sorry if I offend any Harvards out there, but sometimes their grads (NOT ALL--just some that I've known--both from law and medicine) can be a little whiney and self-entitled.

I DON'T MEAN EVERYONE WHO EVER GRADUATED FROM HARVARD. I am sure there are a lot of really great Harvard grads. I'm just saying, antecdotally, I've had some bad experiences with the "but I'm from Harvard and I expect these things" crowd.

Comment

I DON'T MEAN EVERYONE WHO EVER GRADUATED FROM HARVARD. I am sure there are a lot of really great Harvard grads. I'm just saying, antecdotally, I've had some bad experiences with the "but I'm from Harvard and I expect these things" crowd.
                        I had this same thought. My stepdaughter went to Harvard and the "worship me -entitled attitude" makes me want to vomit.
                        Luanne
                        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

This is absurd! She needs to learn some coping skills. What a whiner. I hope that her request gets denied!
                          Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

The USMLE test is 9 hours long and it offers a grand total of 45 minutes in breaks...not 45 minutes at a time every couple of hours. She has asked for the additional 45 minutes to be added to the total of the 9 hours. So for the duration of 9 hours of exams, she would like 60 extra minutes/day instead of 45 in one day. If you get 3 breaks 15 minutes long during the usmle, it may not be enough time.

Re: the learning disabilities.....she does appear to have successfully managed to get through and MD/PhD program at Harvard....

Maybe she just needs more than 15 minutes at a time to pump. :huh:

kris
                            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I don't know. Call me a bitch, a grand 100% bitch, but I don't think people should get special "disability" treatment in all cases. I think if you want to be a physician, you should have to take the test in the time allotted just like everyone else. I don't think, as an intern, many programs are going to be willing to allow her to pump between patients or take extra time to read the charts and see patients.

Pump in your allotted breaks. Deal.
                              Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Working...
                              X