Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Mayor Bloomberg: Why not use Cash as an incentive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mayor Bloomberg: Why not use Cash as an incentive?

I actually think that like every other "social ill" there are lots of ways to go about solving the problem- that is the 'immediate' problem. Systemic issues may never be completely solved.

and that does include lobbying for birthcontrol to be covered by the federal gov't. and it includes making them get their GEDs and covering the inevitable tutoring they will need. and making sure child care is available while they go to school and finding residential placements that they can afford that aren't scarier than the streets. and dealing with the drug gangs and the crappy ass CPS workers the courts (hey, throwing a single mother in jail for $800 in tickets isn't the smartest way to get the fine paid, asshats.)

So, yes, they do need birth control and as I've said to anyone who listens, most of them want it. It's just how to get it to them.

and in reality, we have a public health nurse starting at the clinic in a few weeks so that we can do all of the preventative healthcare in one stop. and we're going to get the mammovan coming once a quarter, too.

We'll figure it out, and maybe it'll stick for some of them and they'll become productive members of society.

Jenn

Comment

Jenn.....Does your program also help them get their GEDs and tutor them etc? That is awesome. That...is tax money well spent!
      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

maybe it'll stick for some of them and they'll become productive members of society.
        we can only hope!

Comment

We squeeze them into classes run by a sister department whenever there is space. (no charge) We also have Foster Grandparents come to run our kids room but our last Grandma retired so we're waiting for them to send us another one.

We refer them to every service we can find but it's always easier to control if we can bring the stuff to them, rather than trying to get them to navigate the terrible public transportation system w/ babies/strollers/diaper bags, etc.

and we do provide bus tokens when we can get them. But still- sometimes it takes them 3 hours each way to get to us.

Trust me when I say that for the most part these people do want to be 'normal'.

Jenn

Comment

Jenn,

How do they fall into the cycle in the first place? Do you have a lot of people with a history of abuse as children or....who start using at a certain age etc? Is there a common denominator?

I know that once they have hit that cycle that it is nearly impossible to break out of. You are right that the lack of availability of affordable (and good) childcare, and their lack of education can be a real sticking point.

Statistically, how many people do you see making it to the other side right now?

Kris
            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I don't think Bloomberg's plan is a bad one. There are hundreds of thousands of parents out there who pay their kids for doing the chores or getting good grades. How is this different? Should parents want to do these things for their kids? Sure, but how many actually do? Considering how many of the 5,000 families in this test run have multiple kids and are mostly likely single mothers who had multiple kids for the extra gov't subsidies, at least the kids won't be ignored after they stop being useful.

Comment

I am late to the party, but this is an interesting plan. I think some of these cash pay outs could be helpful especially for parents who can't take their children to the doctor because it might bite into their pay due to the fact they have to take off from work. Even though I am a social conservative, I am a little bit of an economic liberal when it comes to helping children. From being on welfare myself, its hard to have the motivation to take care of yourself, let alone your kids. When we were broke, the constant low level-stress was horrible and made me such a bad parent. Now that we have money, I still kind of suck as a parent, but at least now I have the money to send them to someone who is more competent.

Comment

Working...
                X