Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Kids at Day Spas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kids at Day Spas

Originally posted by v-girl
    No way! My girls can have painted toenails (no reds) and in the summer, they can have painted fingernails (still no reds).
    V-Girl - I am curious, why no reds? I don't have a girl and this whole issue is so not a part of our existance right now. We are lucky if the kid cares enough to match!
    Kris

Comment

Originally posted by HouseofWool
      Originally posted by v-girl
      No way! My girls can have painted toenails (no reds) and in the summer, they can have painted fingernails (still no reds).
      V-Girl - I am curious, why no reds? I don't have a girl and this whole issue is so not a part of our existance right now. We are lucky if the kid cares enough to match!
      I just think red nail polish looks too grown up on elem aged girls. I think it's cute for babies (if you want to paint their toenails) and maybe even toddlers (though I didn't do it), but there's just something about elem age. I guess to me it looks like their trying to be too grown-up. Orange, coral, pinks, purples, blue and green are fun. Red is serious. I just don't want them looking too grown up too soon.

I don't have a problem with it on other people's kids. Just not for my girls.
      Veronica
      Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Originally posted by alison
        I should take a picture of my hairy legs and arms for you all, and then you'll say "wow, Alison's as hairy as my husband."

If our kids get my propensity for growing crazy amounts of body hair, then I'm all for waxing (my parents let me get it done).
        I get that, and I don't think the majority of us who are pooh-poohing this would keep a young, overly hairy girl from doing what needed to be done to avoid being picked on. My issue with the topic (and the article) is two-fold. First (and biggest) is the over-sexualizing of young, young girls (no 8 year old, no matter what her nationality, is in 'need' of a bikini wax, microdermabraision or even super-model arched eyebrows). My second concern lies with these girls getting super-spoiled. A day at the spa is a huge treat for most women I know in their 30's -- some have NEVER had such an indulgence. It just seems ridiculous to me that young, young girls (NOT young women - these are GIRLS) are having spa treatments on a regular basis that are designed primarily to relax and rejuvinate -- not for TRUE skin care purposes. It speaks to me of mom's wanting to create their mini-me or their very own BFF.

Comment

Originally posted by Jane
          Originally posted by alison
          I should take a picture of my hairy legs and arms for you all, and then you'll say "wow, Alison's as hairy as my husband."

If our kids get my propensity for growing crazy amounts of body hair, then I'm all for waxing (my parents let me get it done).
          I get that, and I don't think the majority of us who are pooh-poohing this would keep a young, overly hairy girl from doing what needed to be done to avoid being picked on. My issue with the topic (and the article) is two-fold. First (and biggest) is the over-sexualizing of young, young girls (no 8 year old, no matter what her nationality, is in 'need' of a bikini wax, microdermabraision or even super-model arched eyebrows). My second concern lies with these girls getting super-spoiled. A day at the spa is a huge treat for most women I know in their 30's -- some have NEVER had such an indulgence. It just seems ridiculous to me that young, young girls (NOT young women - these are GIRLS) are having spa treatments on a regular basis that are designed primarily to relax and rejuvinate -- not for TRUE skin care purposes. It speaks to me of mom's wanting to create their mini-me or their very own BFF.
          I've never had a "day" at the spa and I'm almost 30, my mom is almost 50 and neither has she. Maybe it is a common occurrence for some but for me I definitely consider it a huge luxury and not a regular occurrence. A luxury that an 8 year can not appreciate. I don't think that most teenagers could appreciate it. Perhaps my opinion on the matter shows the SES that I grew up in. Either way, I strongly believe that we have turned our girls into little "wanna be grown up to fast little hookers." No matter how much money we have there are things that my kids will not get no matter who else has them on principle. And I am sure some people feel, "you'll bend when the time comes." Those who think that obviously don't know me and how I was raised. Not going to happen. I endured a lifetime of being different and being made fun of, I still experience it today. Deal with it, that's life sometimes. A day at the spa isn't going to make it better.

Comment

Alison, I totally hear you on the hairness front. My mom started plucking my unibrow at 11 and I was shaving my legs by 12. But I still felt like a kid despite all these changes. Neither the plucking nor the shaving seemed as overly grown up things to do. I think regular spa appointment are a lot more so in that way.

Comment

I think everyone is entitled to their opinion. But in my case, I wouldn't be having my kids at the spa and I cringe at that Libby Lu place. I don't get regular spa treatments myself. I'm the one walking around with unpainted toes and unplucked brows (luckily most of my browhairs are blonde) over here (with the exception of a yearly bikini wax after DH made fun of in my third trimester. Now he pays for a bikini wax). My youngest bites her polish off within a couple days when we do it at home. Special occasions would be considered though.
              Needs

Comment

I take my girls with me to get pedicures 3-4 times per year. I guess I fail to see how it is a bad thing. They get their nails trimmed and filed. Callouses removed, pumiced, etc. IMHO it is great for preventing ingrown toenails etc. They don't act as if they are entitled when we go or about it. :huh:
                Wife to a Urologist. Mom to DD 15, DD 12, DD 2, and DD 1!
                Native Jayhawk, paroled from GA... settling in Minnesota!

Comment

Originally posted by KCwife
                  I take my girls with me to get pedicures 3-4 times per year. I guess I fail to see how it is a bad thing. They get their nails trimmed and filed. Callouses removed, pumiced, etc. IMHO it is great for preventing ingrown toenails etc. They don't act as if they are entitled when we go or about it. :huh:
                  I don't think its a bad thing. My girls are a few years younger than yours that is why I am more reluctant to take mine, although they have been asking for a pedicure. I just don't think I would go to a day spa. I went recently with my mom and it was $45 for a basic pedicure. I don't think my kids would sit for 45 minutes at 4.5 and 6.5 years old. I try to do "salon" stuff at home. It is cheaper and less embarrassing if my kids are running around at home instead of bothering others trying to relax.
                  Needs

Comment

My friend's daughter was croupy and the only way she could get her to stay in the bathroom w/ the steam was to do 'spa day'. She put them both in robes and towels and then did all kinds of 'spa' treatments- painted nails, did 'facials', lip gloss, etc. I thought it was a pretty ingenious way to get a 3yo to cooperate in a steamy bathroom.

Jenn

Comment

Anyone who takes an eight-year-old girl into a spa for a bikini wax should have their parenting license taken away. Mom is going to make kid as f**ked up as she is (an adult getting a wax isn't indicative of being f**ked up, of course--but thinking that it's appropriate for your child suggests that you have major personal image problems that you are now projecting onto your child). I didn't even know about pubic hair when I was eight--and I certainly would have thought about why one might want that hair carefully trimmed.

Comment

Working...
                      X