Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

1 in 6 homeowners are upside down now...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1 in 6 homeowners are upside down now...

When we rented in Boston for fellowship, we had to bring our dog in for an "interview". We had the apartment, willing landlords "if the dog was OK" and our dog was in a kennel back in Baltimore. We jumped in the car and drove down to get her and returned by the next morning.

It's amazing what you will do for an apartment. Pets can be a nightmare. I remember that I almost cried when the rental agent we spoke to told us we'd have to "lose the dog" if we expected to find anything in the city to rent. That wasn't happening after 14 years with her!!! I'm so glad it worked out. Our fourteen year old border collie performed very well in her interview. She arrived, licked the landlord's hand and went to sleep on the floor for the next half hour while we signed contracts. Perfect dog as far as he was concerned. She's passed on now. Miss her.
    Angie
    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

When we moved to NYC, dh had narrowed it down to 2 places, one that was okay with the cats or one that was okay with the baby. We chose the latter and were lucky enough to find a no-kill adoption agency who would keep them together (they had spent 6 years together). It was hard to leave them behind.
      Kris

Comment

I didn't think it was legal to deny rental to someone with a child. :huh: (I suppose that happens in the 55+ retirement communities -but it had been challenged.) Was this a co-op board? Man. That wouldn't have happened when we were in the city. (They would have made up an excuse but never said "no baby". )
        Angie
        Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
        Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

No - they weren't denying us a lease, but the vibe was definately that the kid wasn't as welcome...
          Kris

Comment

Our house value is down too, but we could still get what we paid for it, we have ahd it for eight years. My retirement funds on the other hand are almost 40% down, yep, I said 40%. I'll never retire.
            Luanne
            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

40% - Oh ouch! My dad is looking to retire in the next three years. I don't know how much they've lost, but it's a pretty hefty amount, too, and I know they're really worried.

DH told me yesterday we've lost about 7% in our IRAs. We don't have much in there at this point anyway.

Comment

7% in your IRA is not bad!

Without spending too much time house-hunting in a place I have no intention of living, it doesn't seem like the Western Wisconsin prices are down that much more from when we sold MILs house. Maybe people are starting a lot higher than they expect to get? Not all of the listings had photos so it was hard to compare.

FWIW, according to Zillow, our house is down about 5% from what we paid for it.

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake

FWIW, according to Zillow, our house is down about 5% from what we paid for it.

Does anyone know how accurate Zillow really is? It shows our house as being worth almost $100,000 more than what we paid for it 6 months ago, which I find extremely difficult to believe. We got a great deal, but not that great of a deal!

Comment

I don't think Zillow is accurate for all areas.....it show our house as being worth $17,000.......I like to think we're not that upside down.
                    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I think it depends on the area. I think it is a ballpark-ish thing, at least for my area.

Comment

Working...
                      X