Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Colin Powell endorses Obama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colin Powell endorses Obama

...on "Meet the Press" today.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032608
    Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Re: Colin Powell endorses Obama

I just heard his statement, and agree wholeheartedly.
    married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

I'm so excited! Hopefully that will help to win over some of the more moderate republicans and independents who are still trying to decide.

Comment

Wow!
        ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
        ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I agree -- WOW.

I've always liked Powell. I read his book (My American Dream) and liked him even more.

After his appearance on "Meet the Press" my esteem for him has again grown.

He's a classy guy. I appreciated how many times he sincerely complimented John McCain.
          Flynn

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

I still have my reservations about Powell. Was he not instrumental in the invasion of Iraq when we were certain there were WMDs and terrorists there? I agree that this is an important endorsement, but I can't get behind the man 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by alison
              I still have my reservations about Powell. Was he not instrumental in the invasion of Iraq when we were certain there were WMDs and terrorists there? I agree that this is an important endorsement, but I can't get behind the man 100%.
              Alison, here's something to chew on...
              If there was ever someone that got thrown under the bus by Bush, it was him! When he resigned, I always felt a big part of it was because of the extreme damage to his integrity for having gone to the UN w/the "hard evidence" provided by the Bush lie machine(lies lies lies) to argue/announce Bush's march to war.

Comment

Originally posted by pinkpickles
                If there was ever someone that got thrown under the bus by Bush, it was him! When he resigned, I always felt a big part of it was because of the extreme damage to his integrity for having gone to the UN w/the "hard evidence" provided by the Bush lie machine(lies lies lies) to argue/announce Bush's march to war.
                There's an episode of Frontline that lays that out step by step.
                http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/bushswar/
                Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Good for him. I'm serious. He was treated badly by the Bush administration in his dissent from the administration's Iraq War analysis. Instead of being nasty or small about his treatment, he was classy and just walked away.

Now, he's gotten his. The best recipe for revenge is to serve it cold. I am sure that he didn't make this endorsement just to thumb his nose at GWB. That's not what I'm saying. But, it certainly was neatly and nicely coincidental. He could not have coordinated a better time to do more damage to McCain (in his last shred of momentum or whatever). Even though Bush doesn't actually like McCain, and I'd hardly call McCain a conservative (or Bush, for that matter, but that's another story...), Obama succeeding to the White House will do a huge discredit, at least on a short-term basis, to Bush.

Comment

Oh, it has huge implications for the Vietnam generation Officer Corps. (and perhaps Gulf War I) Most of them think of Powell as General Powell, not Secretary Powell, and most think that he was totally screwed for doing what comes naturally to a career military officer- following orders from his Commander in Chief.

Jenn

Comment

Thanks, guys - I'll chew on it.

Comment

Originally posted by pinkpickles
                        Alison, I know you're already chewing so this isn't directed at you.

ITA with the above.
                        Flynn

Comment

Originally posted by Jane
                          I'm so excited! Hopefully that will help to win over some of the more moderate republicans and independents who are still trying to decide.
                          Honestly, it does for me. I've been worrying most on Obama's ability to handle issues at an international level. I respect Colin Powell, and always felt he left for integrity issues, even though admittedly I"m not that versed in what exactly happened. For me this meant a lot more than Biden taken on as VP, especially since there is chatter about Colin Powell maybe asked to even be an advisor for Obama.

Comment

Originally posted by Color_Me_Sulky
                            Originally posted by Jane
                            Honestly, it does for me. I've been worrying most on Obama's ability to handle issues at an international level. I respect Colin Powell, and always felt he left for integrity issues, even though admittedly I"m not that versed in what exactly happened. For me this meant a lot more than Biden taken on as VP, especially since there is chatter about Colin Powell maybe asked to even be an advisor for Obama.
                            I'm just curious: since nothing has changed about Obama--that is, it's not like he's gotten some sort of actual international experience by virtue of the endorsement--is it the endorsement that makes the difference for you or is it the prospect of Powell being in the administration? I guess my real question is, would the endorsement mean as much if Powell declined to consider being in the administration?

I am curious not to challenge why the endorsement was a deal-maker for you. I am just fascinated at the effect of endorsements--anyone's endorsement--of a candidate and their potential effect.

Comment

Abigail, really it's because as I stated it's Obama's ability with international affairs that worries most. It's not that he couldn't be great at it, but that he has so little experience. So why does Colin Powell help persuade me, because I think he is a very even keel man. Powell has never seemed to come across as crusade seeking, nor has he taken the approach (that I know of) of spilling all manner of evil and possibly evil things about the Bush administration. He seems like a man of principle, whom doesn't play the normal political games. He is one of the few politicians whom I would say seems truly honorable. So to see such an even keel man, whom has such a record, now support Obama, well it makes me think there is more than what is at the surface level. Much of the uneasiness I've had about Obama is the lack of "knowing" him. That for many, makes them like him more, for me it's been one that makes me feel less convicted for him. To me, Powell endorsing him (and Warren Buffet) means there is substance to the man, not just rhetoric. While I don't agree with everything Obama does on his platform, there is plenty I do. So to me, it's about substance.

Also I truly am an independent. I'm for 50% of Republican issues and 50% for Democrat issues, so voting really is not clear cut for me, there is much counter balancing that I end up thinking through. Last time I made the wrong choice

Comment

Working...
                              X