Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Someone elses daughter asking you for contraceptives

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Someone elses daughter asking you for contraceptives

FYI people. This is the INTERNATIONAL med spouse network so we welcome opi ions and experiences from everywhere. The reasons for europes declining birth rate aren't relevant to this discussion on teen pregnancy ... But just keep in mind that we are all friends here. There is no need for us to start attacking each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Ditto Kris. You are off topic. Take it to the PM system or start a new thread if you want to continue that discussion.
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by Ladybug View Post
        I'm sorry. I've deleted the post and I'll step out.
        It was a good post with accurate facts, I'm sorry you deleted it.
        Tara
        Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I've been thinking about what the "right" age is to take my own daughter in for her first gyn appt. I was at the office yesterday and they had pamphlets in the waiting room that said 13-15 was recommended to get a "baseline" and set up good health practices for life.
          Really? That seems so young. I thought it was 18 or sexually active?
          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Yeah - I thought so too. I don't remember going to the gyn until I was a freshman in college. That said, it could be a good idea. That's why I asked what people think. 15? 16? Or leave it till they leave home? Yesterday there was an obvious teenager in the waiting room. I suppose they do have teen patients. Just curious what other moms think and what other people have had happen in their lives.
            Angie
            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
            Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I have no idea when my first gyn appointment was as a young girl but I will take A for her first around the time that she gets her first period - ESPECIALLY if her cycles aren't normal. Mine never were and the "solution" was to put me on BC to regulate them. I lived with PCOS for more then 10 years before it was diagnosed and that wasn't until we starting actively trying to conceive. Women's bodies and hormones are built to work a certain way and if there is any inkling that A's isn't working the way it should I will not rest until someone can tell me why. Several of my health issues, minor but still issues, are because of my PCOS which they could have figured out at 16 instead of 30.

As for taking someone else's child for BC or to PP - no way! I would have the discussion with them if they were more comfortable talking to me for some reason but I would not be the provider of those services.
              Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna View Post
                It was a good post with accurate facts, I'm sorry you deleted it.
                If you or Ladybug feel like starting a thread in which you attack Sweden's/Europe's lack of morality, lack of religious influence on society and it's liberal immigration policies, I may see fit to respond to your criticism, however I fail to see what place that post had in this thread.

Comment

13 is so young. I still thought boys were disgusting at that age, and they were.
                  Would I take a 13 year old to PP, no way! I would call their FP and suggest that they set up an appointment with her, without her parents. The reason being that a kid this age probably knows nothing about STD's. They need someone to explain this to them. Also, my first gyn appt was scary, simply because the fact that I could get pregnant or contract an STD became real to me. Most teens think it will never happen to them or don't fully understand the consequences and this is why they get pregnant. Putting a teen on a BC pill is just not enough anymore because you know that is the only protection they will use.

I would never have talked to my parents about any of this, even at 17 and realistically, most teens won't. I talked to my older sister about some things though. Bottom line is, if a child of 13 is asking for the pill, she needs to be educated, not just given a prescription and left to her own devices.
                  Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                  Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Working...
                  X