Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Russian chlid "returned"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK- first let me say that this hits (obviously) close to home so bear with me.

Let me explain the process, first and then we can talk about the situation at hand...

When you adopt from Russia, you don't get a referral and get to think about it- you are invited to travel to Russia and you go. You're not invited unless there is a referral that the regional Ministry of Education has in mind. Sadly the way that the system works is that you will be given one referral (the 'best one') and you have to agree in the office whether to go to the orphanage. Then assuming you go and you meet the child and you spend some time and you decide to submit your application which is submitted to the MoE. You then return to the states and wait until you get a court date. We got hung up w/ changes to the process as a result of the some other Stupid Americans who actually killed their kid. Anyway, some amount of time passes - four months for us, and I think SamSugarMom as well. (they adopted a beautiful little girl in 2009)

So, you need to have met the child 15 times before you go to court. You go to court and then you wait. Some regions waive the mandatory 10-day period, ours did not. 10 days pass and I have a kid. At the moment I had physical control of his person he was my child. I received a packet of papers- all in Russian. In the packet are a copy of the original birth certificate, the original amended birth certificate (which changes the parent names to ours), and the original change of name document. (I showed these to Vishenka and her husband when they were here in SA- I had them framed) These documents were faxed to Moscow to be translated. Once we arrived in Moscow (we also had to get an expedited Russian passport) you have to have a physical exam of the child, then you have an interview at the American Embassy (where we had dropped off the documents which had been translated by our translator there and we picked them up from her on a street corner in Moscow)

Once you have the interview and you buy the Visa for the Russian passport you are free to leave. The moment the plane touches down on American soil, that child is AUTOMATICALLY granted American citizenship. Period. You don't need an American birth certifcate (that process is called readoption- some people think it will help their children down the road to have an American issued birth certificate but we haven't had any issues with our translated notarized version both with the Army and with enrolling him in public school)

So- to the matter at hand. This child was her child and she has documents in two languages that say so. You can't return your kid. Legally, she violated several laws, American and Russian. This child is also a Russian citizen, as is mine. You are obligated to register your child's Russian passport at the closest Russian consulate upon arrival. You are obligated to provide updates describing the child's well-being six months after arrival and once a year for the next four years. In our case, we registered at the Russian Embassy in DC and we've sent reports as required.

Now, the nitty-gritty. It's absolutely possible that this kid could be messed up- my husband has a colleague back in DC who begged him not to pursue the adoption because he adopted two older kids from Ukraine, both of whom suffered from severe reactive attachment disorder and both of whom required hospitalization. Those kids will never, ever be 'normal'. I don't know what region he came from and I'm not familiar with the adoption agency. In Russia, it's a lot about how connected your agency is with the officials. In our case, the MoE director who 'happened' to give us the referral for Nikolai also 'happened' to be my driver's mother-in-law. I wasn't supposed to know that, by the way. I'm a social worker, I pay attention to detail and am a keen observer of human behavior.

He could be scary messed up. or he could be a kid who is freaking out who sadly ended up w/ a parent unable to cope. She didn't search out the agency and she didn't search out any of the support networks. Look, it happens. It's called disruption and most of the time it happens for the best interest of the child and the family. When it does happen, it is supposed to be well-coordinated and well-supported with therapists and support networks.

My take- she decided that she bit off more than she could chew and rather than deal with it she decided to send him back. (which I hope everyone understands now, you can't do.) She's an asshole- whether she's an asshole with good intentions who got overwhelmed or she's an asshole who deserves her own circle of hell, I can't tell. That said, this could be the best thing for fostering the concept of adoption by Russians in Russia that they have ever had. That kid is now going get the best of the best therapy, because believe me, there's a certain part of the Duma that just loves to demonstrate that Americans are crappy parents. He'll be adopted by a Russian family. Soon.

Whew.

Jenn

PS- the worst part of this besides the obvious damage to the child is that there are hundreds of families who are now on hold. I've been there and I was crazy- just ask the old-timers- Kris, Kelly, Sally, Rapunzel. I was NUTS.
    Last edited by DCJenn; 04-13-2010, 11:40 PM.

Comment

PS- this reminds me that I've never posted the end of the story for the old-timers- it was way too raw. Maybe now I can re-read the journal and process all of the crazy emotions.

Comment

Thanks, Jenn. That's really interesting.

Comment

Thanks Jenn, I was really looking forward to your perspective.
          Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Originally posted by DCJenn View Post
            My take- she decided that she bit off more than she could chew and rather than deal with it she decided to send him back. (which I hope everyone understands now, you can't do.) She's an asshole- whether she's an asshole with good intentions who got overwhelmed or she's an asshole who deserves her own circle of hell, I can't tell. That said, this could be the best thing for fostering the concept of adoption by Russians in Russia that they have ever had. That kid is now going get the best of the best therapy, because believe me, there's a certain part of the Duma that just loves to demonstrate that Americans are crappy parents. He'll be adopted by a Russian family. Soon.

No matter how you slice it, she's an asshole. It's not a toy, you can't return it just because it's malfunctioning. I worked in mental health with emotional disturbed children, often times with the families of adoptive parents who "bit off more than they could chew." They didn't return their off the hook, cracked out crazy kids, they sought out help, like you're supposed to do.

Comment

Diane Rehms today was on this topic. Two new pieces of data - the family did have a follow up visit from the adoption group a few months after. No word on what was reported, though. Also, the mother spoke with an expert on attachment disorders and received an informal diagnosis. She never sought care. I agree with Jenn that she probably looked at the future and decided to bail. Sad. Final info I picked up from the show - the adoption group involved was apparently well respected and counseled parents extensively on the issues that can arise in these adoptions. If that's true, I suppose you can't blame her actions on lack of naivete.

Angie
              Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
              Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Thank you Jenn, that was really informative, I had been hoping you'd post and I really appreciate your perspective.
                Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

You're all quite welcome. The more I hear about this situation, the more I'm thinking she deserves her own special circle of hell. I think it wasn't nearly as much fun as she thought it was going to be and the Hallmark moment didn't last too long after they got back.

Jenn

Comment

And.....Russia has officially suspended US adoptions of Russian children. This makes me SO mad for parents who are now in limbo because of one person.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/16/wo...6adopt.html?hp
                    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
                      And.....Russia has officially suspended US adoptions of Russian children. This makes me SO mad for parents who are now in limbo because of one person.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/16/wo...6adopt.html?hp
                      ITA. This breaks my heart even more.
                      Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

According to the State Department, they have not yet rec'd word that it's officially been cut off.

Jenn

Comment

I was also wondering what Jenn's take on the situation was. Thanks for your input, Jenn.

According to the Russian news all American adoptions have been suspended until an official adoption treaty is signed by both sides. Also various state agencies are currently fighting over how the poor child should be treated. The Health Dept wants to keep him hospitalized for observation for at least a month, while the Education Minister wants him re-adopted ASAP. Seems that a number of Russian families have already applied for him. Jenn is right, he'll have a new family very soon. It's just so sad that something so tragic had to happen for a Russian child to be adopted within the country. Russians (and many other former republics) generally have a very negative view of adoption. It is a widely accepted belief that normal and healthy people do not put their children up for adoption. At the same time Russians are very much against "their" children being taken out of the country. I hope that Russians start treating these kids with more compassion and either adopt them internally or at least not block international adoptions.

Comment

There are lots of really, really messed up kids that are internationally adopted- the system in Russia and other Eastern European countries kind of intensifies any biological or neurological behavioral or psychiatric problems that kids can have. BUT, there is therapy for them. It's intensive, it's arduous and sometimes it just doesn't work. Reactive Attachment Disorder can be managed and in some cases, the kids do really, really well.

There is no way she could have known in advance about how violent he could be. (no one could, I suspect) and TBH, think about it- he's seven, he barely speaks the language, and he had been institutionalized for most, if not all of his life. There are going to be issues. Huge issues. and if she thought that there weren't going to be, then she's naive or stupid or both. Nikolai had to learn to trust us and he was only 13 months old (one reason why we put him back on a bottle was so that we could feed him on command in the middle of the night- while holding him. It took a while for him to figure out that no lie, these people really were going to fix whatever the problem was, at that moment. )

The other problem is the difference in the medical and psychiatric systems here and in Russia. They do medicine a lot differently that we do- for example, we had to have a 'physical' exam that addressed 8 different things. Unlike here where most of them could be addressed by one doctor, the Russians wanted eight different signatures from 8 different docs. Remember, that communism required that everyone have a job so there is a lot of unnecessary specialization. That system remains today. Also, we are much more open as a society about things like Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and psychiatric issues. As Julie said, in Russia, the assumption is that there is something wrong with the child if the parent is giving it up- and sometimes that's true. Sometimes the kids are perfectly normal and the insitutionalization messes them up and sometimes in the worst cases, there are messed up kids stuck in a really messed up system.

In Russia, the babies stay at Baby Homes until they're three. Then they're transferred to the Children's Home where they stay until they age out at 16. When they age out, there is no state support. They have to make it or they end up on the streets.

Jenn

Comment

In Russia, the babies stay at Baby Homes until they're three. Then they're transferred to the Children's Home where they stay until they age out at 16. When they age out, there is no state support. They have to make it or they end up on the streets.
                              I have my head in the sand. This just breaks my heart.
                              Luanne
                              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I have read that aging out of foster care is an issue here in this country. Essentially kids age out of the system and there aren't always a lot of services available to them. You know that first and last month's rent for an apartment that mom and dad helped you cough up at eighteen? These young adults have very little safety nets. It is an underserved population. It is so sad.

Kelly
                                In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Working...
                                X