Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Changing Diapers in Restaurants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Diapers in Restaurants

This started a debate on a friend's facebook, so I thought I'd bring it over here too: http://gawker.com/diaper-changing-da...-sh-1640829501

She doesn't have kids, can't imagine why anybody would do this. I responded saying sometimes you have no choice when you're out and the restaurant doesn't provide a changing table. I haven't done it on the table where everybody could see, but I have changed diapers, including one with poop, on restaurant booths, when the restaurant didn't have a changing table (in fact, I'm pretty sure I did this when I was hanging out with Vanquisher, GRU, and niener). I've also used the changing pad attached to my diaper bag on the floor of a bathroom when there wasn't a booth to use. I felt like nobody could actually see me in the booth since I was surrounded by people and in the back of the restaurant, and going to the car wasn't an option in those instances (with the iMSNers, the car was parked far away, the other times it was raining). Anyway, her response was that when she was a baby, her parents just didn't go anywhere, or they got a sitter so they didn't have to take the kids out, and if they were out and the kid needed changing, the whole family just got up and left altogether. She also said she couldn't imagine changing a poopy diaper and then being OK with eating - to which I responded if I didn't eat after changing a poopy diaper, I would have starved over the last 10 months.
    Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

I think I was the one who suggested the booth, so that's where I stand! Using the actual table would be different, but people put their feet on booths, spill and drop things on booths, etc. It's a place for your butt. My usual line of thinking is changing table, then car, then booth. I've also changed the girls on the front seat of the car.
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

I wouldn't change a diaper anywhere in the eating area. I guess we got good at remembering which restaurants had a decent changing station in the bathroom. If the bathroom isn't acceptable, I would go out to the car.

Comment

Originally posted by bobk View Post
        I wouldn't change a diaper anywhere in the eating area. I guess we got good at remembering which restaurants had a decent changing station in the bathroom. If the bathroom isn't acceptable, I would go out to the car.
        I generally avoid places that I know don't have a changing table, but when you go somewhere for the first time (as was the case each time I've used the booth), you can't know until you need it.
        Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

My initial response is that Chad is an ass who thinks his kids poop doesn't stink. Aside from the complete inappropriateness of changing a diaper (poopy or not) on a table where people eat can you imagine what would happen if a health inspector popped in? Chad has zero consideration for the business or the patrons. His big concern is that it is too cold to have to go back out to use the car. Chad does not want to be inconvenienced. Sorry, having kids is all about inconvenience Chad. So no, I have zero sympathy for this case.

My disclaimer is that I won't use communal changing tables. They gross me out beyond belief. So after six kiddos and lots of dirty diapers in inconvenient places I have never used one so I don't see their necessity. I get that many folks love them but I don't. I try to plan ahead in terms of places to do a diaper change. We almost always will go back to the car (even if it is a long walk). If I think that is unrealistic I will bring my stroller and fold it up and put it in an out of the way place. Most handicapped bathrooms can handle a stroller and becomes a perfect place to change a diaper. If I cannot get to the car or if I don't have my stroller I have changed baby on my lap in the bathroom. I can even change my two year old in a pinch like that. And always change babies on my lap on an airplane (quickly as possible so as not to let any smells linger).

I think the patrons of any restaurant or any space deserve respect over and above my convenience so even if everyone at my table my not be bothered by a diaper change that might not be true of the table next to me.
          Tara
          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Yes, no to the eating areas. I always went outside or to our car.

Angie
            Angie
            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
            Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Just read the original article. Yes, that guy is a total ass. Consideration for other people and the restaurant trumps your convenience.

We always stocked our diaper bag with a few chucks pads and laid them over the floor or changing station in the bathroom. It's a bit more sanitary and comfortable for the kid.

Comment

I do really really hate it when family eating establishments don't have changing tables--Starbucks is an awful offender. And part of me feels like they get what they deserve when someone changes on the table

That being said, I don't. Fecal matter in an eating area is gross on any level. I wouldn't be too happy knowing I was sitting down at a table or booth where a diaper was changed. I don't know that I would really bat an eye if I saw someone doing it though. I did work in a restaurant for 2 years and never saw it happen...but we had a changing table.

I also find changing tables super gross, but I started buying these and keeping them with me. Then I just throw the whole setup away. Putting the used non-disposable changing pad back in my diaper bag grossed me out

http://www.amazon.com/Dynarex-Dispos...+changing+pads
                Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by bobk View Post
                  +1. Exactly.

I'll take it a step further: I wouldn't change my personal hygiene supplies in the kitchen. I wouldn't clip my toenails at the salad bar. ... some things don't seem to really need to be explained!

Comment

I change him in the car if there's no changing table or if I'm just too skeeved out by the restroom (rest stops etc). It's not easy, I have to move the car seat but it doesn't happen often.
                    Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                    Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Chad's an ass.

We kept a changing pad in the bag, and either changed in the rest room or the car. (and can I just say how glad I am that I never know when my children poop? The kids keep asking for another baby, but the baby store is closed.)

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife View Post
                        +1. Exactly.

I'll take it a step further: I wouldn't change my personal hygiene supplies in the kitchen. I wouldn't clip my toenails at the salad bar. ... some things don't seem to really need to be explained!
                        My response sounded way harsh. Sorry--I was in a rush. Look, in you are in a booth, surrounded by friends who are totally OK with it, and no one outside your party can see, then I don't see a problem with changing the baby quietly and unnoticed in the booth. (Just put the diaper in a zipped plastic bag and tuck it into your purse/diaper bag or whatever.) Would I personally do it? No. Would I be offended if someone in my party asked us if it would be OK? No. I would tell her I was fine with it. And I would be. Changing babies when you are out is a PITA. I am sympathetic. I just wouldn't do it personally because it sounds like a lot of physical maneuvering that I would be likely to screw up and thing would not end well.

But I would be PISSED if I was at a restaurant and another patron changed a baby in front of everyone, table or booth, for all the world to see (and smell). Even if there was NO WAY the fecal matter could come into contact with me, it would just be rude to impose it on other people. There would be no consideration for anyone else's feelings. Come on...That is bodily waste. No one wants to deal with bodily waste while they are eating. It's not like breastfeeding or something. Plus, some people are terribly sensitive to smells. It could trigger a bad reaction.

Comment

The only exception to changing the baby in the car has been DrK's very emphatic "he'll (the baby) freeze his nards off" argument when it's been -10 degrees out. In those cases, I've asked the staff to show me where I can change my baby. They usually recommend a secluded booth or storeroom. Once the kid can stand and touch his toes, the changing table is unnecessary. I just change them standing in the stall and have them bend over to wipe them up.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
                          Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

The BF's niece poisoned us with her crap when she was a baby. Baby has blowout. Gets hosed down in kitchen sink (because...can't a second of the NFL on Sunday, and there's no TV in any of the house's threw bathrooms!!!). Person doing baby washing doesn't notice that the silverware for dinner is drying on the other side of the sink. Adults eat delicious food. Two days later, every single adult gets incredibly sick (one needed to go the the ED for fluids). I've never been so sick in my entire life.

How do we know it wasn't the food? Another family member ate the exactly same meal before driving to her home 2 hours away (and before blowoutgate). She even brought an extra plate for lunch the next day. She never got sick.

To me, it's like a dog owner stopping somewhere with a full dog poo bag, and setting it on the table before eating. It's disgusting.

I might be one of those horrible childless people that everybody hates, but if you'd seen what we went through after that...you'd probably wouldn't eat for a week. Ugh.
                            Last edited by corn poffi; 10-03-2014, 04:02 AM.
                            I'm just trying to make it out alive!

Comment

CP, that is completely and utterly horrifying and unacceptable. I completely agree. And maybe, like you, I am also one of those horrible childless people that everyone hates but wow - leave your kids crap out of my dining area.

That said - it's a lot easier to swallow parents doing stuff like this if you can tell that they are trying very hard to be discrete and not inconvenience other patrons or have no other options and are trying to do it in a way that is away from everyone else's meal (i.e. changing in the booth/on the seat). But that is just awful. The entitled parent attitude this guy has is just gross.
                              Last edited by WolfpackWife; 10-03-2014, 06:52 AM.
                              Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X