Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

2016 republican WH nominee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Republicans won't win with a moderate candidate, they just won't. They've sailed that ship in the last two elections and failed to a man that has zero leadership experience. Please, for the love of God, I hope we get a candidate with integrity and conviction who isn't looking to be politically correct but to do what is best for the country.
    Tara
    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna View Post
      Republicans won't win with a moderate candidate, they just won't. They've sailed that ship in the last two elections and failed to a man that has zero leadership experience. Please, for the love of God, I hope we get a candidate with integrity and conviction who isn't looking to be politically correct but to do what is best for the country.
      GOP has zero chance of winning a presidential election UNLESS they try to get a moderate candidate on the ticket. Playing to the voters on the more extreme ends of the party spectrum is political suicide in national elections for both parties.

Comment

Originally posted by bokelley View Post
        I really wish they would get someone that is less conservative on social issues. I can't even vote for someone once they become so rigid in beliefs. I am fine with tightening our "purse straps" I am fine with paying more taxes for early childhood and etc. I am not ok with religious beliefs imposing on everyone especially since everyone has the right to different religions.
        Couldn't agree more. I really think we're getting to the point where extremism on either side isn't going to work. I am definitely more fiscally conservative, but I really don't believe Repubs can make any headway without loosening up on some of their religion-driven social conservatism. It's just not reasonable.
        Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
          GOP has zero chance of winning a presidential election UNLESS they try to get a moderate candidate on the ticket. Playing to the voters on the more extreme ends of the party spectrum is political suicide in national elections for both parties.
          I agree - cross posted with you!
          Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
            Yes, this is essentially what I was going to say. Each election has so many variables that really aren't any rules that always apply. I think Christie could definitely win. He would have to pander to the party base to get the nomination, but once past that would be moderate enough to win a general election.

Comment

2016 republican WH nominee

I think the pandering to the base is what ends up turning off undecided "swing" voters. McCain had a huge amount of moderate "swing" support until be veered hard right to appease the base and party big wigs.

Comment

Plus I doubt the last two Republican losses were due to moderate candidates. In 2008, after eight years of Bush, people were ready for something different and Obama had that young, rock star appeal that folks could get excited about. Not much McCain could have done. He was/is pretty far to the right on foreign policy and disastrously chose Palin as a running mate.

As for 2012, it's nearly impossible to beat on incumbent. The most recent, 1992, was mostly due to having a strong third party that split the conservative vote.

Comment

Honestly, I think people would get excited to see a Bush/Clinton rematch.

Personally, I'm not excited about any of the potential GOP candidates ... again.

Kris
                  ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                  ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree
                    Tara
                    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona View Post
                      a Bush/Clinton rematch.
                      Please shoot me.
                      I'm so dreading this scenario.
                      Enabler of DW and 5 kids
                      Let's go Mets!

Comment

I think it would be hilarious to have far left and far right tickets. A Bernie Sanders/Elizabeth Warren ticket versus any combo of recent GOP potential candidates would be comedy gold.

OMG, a Palin/Bachman ticket would keep Jon Stewart busy.

Comment

I'm dreading election season in general.
                          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I actually think Jeb versus Hilary would be super interesting. They're both the smarter, better candidates than their former president family members.

Comment

Originally posted by fluffhead View Post
                              Please shoot me.
                              I'm so dreading this scenario.
                              Me too. I actually think Jeb Bush would be a decent candidate. It's not fair to him, but it seems wrong to have three of five presidents come from the same family. We're a huge country with a lot of talented people. Surely there should be other options.

As for Hillary, she's at least a known quantity. Not sure what her appeal is other than a famous name and that she's female. Her senate and cabinet records are unremarkable.

Comment

I would have voted for McCain if he had not choose palin. I couldn't imagine her as head of state.
                                I don't feel like the last time they were moderate at all.
                                Brandi
                                Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X