Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Should vaccines be mandatory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree that public institutions should be able to require vaccination to attend. It should limit it to publicly communicable diseases though. I wouldn't think schools should be requiring Gardisil just yet since HPV is sexually transmitted and not airborne/bloodborne.
    Yes. But mandatory? As in a crime not to? I think that is a dangerous path to start going down. And it would just exacerbate the problem now
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
      I have a wicked vasovagal response with syncope when I get injections. Yup, still think vaccinations should be mandatory.

We make liability insurance on cars mandatory. I don't see why vaccinations are less important.
      I sincerely love you DD!
      Luanne
      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

We make liability insurance on cars mandatory. I don't see why vaccinations are less important.
        Yes, but you can choose not to drive. It makes life difficult, but it is still a choice. That is the difference I see.
        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

People can choose not to leave their houses.

Comment

I think they should also be mandatory to play at public playgrounds and ride on public transportation, although I have no idea how you'd enforce that.

Comment

Just for clarification, I'm not talking about people who have legit medical reasons for not being able vaccinate. I'm talking about assholes who think their special snowflake should remain pure and "toxin-free", but rely on everyone else's kids getting vaccinated to benefit from herd immunity in their community.

Don't want to be part of the community and contribute to herd immunity? Fine. Then keep your ass at home so you don't infect the immunocompromised peeps with your asinine refusal to science.

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
                Just for clarification, I'm not talking about people who have legit medical reasons for not being able vaccinate. I'm talking about assholes who think their special snowflake should remain pure and "toxin-free", but rely on everyone else's kids getting vaccinated to benefit from herd immunity in their community.

Don't want to be part of the community and contribute to herd immunity? Fine. Then keep your ass at home so you don't infect the immunocompromised peeps with your asinine refusal to science.
                Absofuckinglutely!!

Heidi
                Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

As always, what DD said. We need a meme...
                  Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Should vaccines be mandatory?

I made that meme!

Comment

Or....

Heidi

Comment

I agree with DD - there are SICK children (cancer, etc.) that are having to miss school b/c they CAN'T get the vaccines. If you want to send your kids to a PUBLIC school get the damn shots, if you don't want to then homeschool them or find a private school.

But I also agree there is the issue of parks, doc offices, etc. those of us that are vaccinated should be able to live our lives without our tiny children (not old enough) worrying about dying for a disease that shouldn't even be around.
                        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

We need to make it harder to opt out. We also need pediatricians who understand risks/benefits/medically at risk. In the food allergy community, may parents don't do certain vax (including MMR) because of egg allergies. The reactions, however, just aren't really there. My DD's allergist does many vaccinations in his office because parents are afraid to do them with no monitoring, but do want to vax. He said he's never seen one of these kids react (including to flu) and the literature supports what he sees anecdotally. We need to swing back from our ridiculously entitled, doc-by-Google society.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                          -Deb
                          Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher View Post
                            Or....

Heidi
                            Lol. Yes. How do we make it her official profile pic without her knowing?
                            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Lol!!!

Heidi

Comment

Um...as a homeschooler, let me ask that people NOT use homeschooling as a way to avoid vaccination.

I am super-duper tired of being asked if I don't vaccinate...because I homeschool. WTF??? I homeschool. My kids are CONSTANTLY around other kids. Of course I vaccinate.

Because measles sucks.

Comment

Working...
                                X