Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Paris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since this is formerly the debate thread, why not debate a bit? (But let's try not to dogpile!) I believe that we are making ourselves far safer by admitting more refugees. By leaving them in camps, we are increasing the likelihood of your men being recruited into terrorist organizations, versus the smaller chance exposure to them while attending public schools in the United States. We are also decreasing the chances of a massive outbreak of diseases by getting people out of the camps. What are some alternatives to resettling the refugees besides admitting them into other nations? Do you support more military action in Syria to help them regain their land? Or should we let them in but make changes to our current screening system? If the latter, what changes do you propose?

For reference, here's a good description of the current screening system: http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/16/politi...nts-explainer/
    Laurie
    My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

I was hoping we could debate!!! 😃

Honestly, I don't know what the answer is. How's that for an answer?

I'd like to see us be able to do some background checks but that seems unlikely given the state of things in Syria. I feel we are morally compelled to take in refugees. At the same time, I see how that is working out in my home town. It isn't just the financial and health end of things. Many of the Somali men believe women have no rights and deny lifesaving medical care for their critically ill spouses. These cases have had to go before the ethics committee in the hospital. Also, our schools with heavy immigrant populations have become disasters and several districts have rescinded open enrollment due to people trying to pull kids out and transfer them. There are safety issues and so many behavior problems. I'm not saying that this is the case with every immigrant family, but the different cultural values are a real clash.

Can we talk about those things, or does it automatically make me anti-immigrant, anti-Muslim? As I said before, we are morally obligated to act. I also believe our military needs to be more involved.

Could we do health screenings and treat people before they are released into the communities?

Kris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I agree with pretty much everything you've said.

Comment

My sister's roommate works for Catholic Charities (they are preparing to take their first Syrian families here) and pointed out the process takes 2 years. So the people about to arrive started this process 2 years ago. She also pointed out that the 10k isn't a new number, just a reallocation of refugees taken from one place reallocated to Syria..which is an interesting point in itself :/

Refugees don't bother me

5. I think there are already operatives here. I think they have been here and plotting for a long time. I don't know why, but that's what my gut tells me. It's unrealistic to think we will not have a major terror event here. This country is large and we are not prepared, and realistically nobody can be 100% right all the time. The question is, where does it occur and when and how bad.
          I sort of wonder about Black Friday
          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I don't think that anyone is objecting to a vetting process for all refugees regardless of country of origin. I'm concerned about the xenophobia and fear that I'm hearing related to this issue. In 1938, Jewish refugees were turned away from the US and later exterminated by the Nazis. The excuse was, no one wanted them. We cannot allow paranoia or an illusion of superiority preclude us from our duty to welcome the stranger and provide asylum for the persecuted.
            Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Agree 100%. Not to mention, Syria was a very modern country (albeit with extreme pockets). It had a 90+% literacy rate and many people are college educated. These are people who could do well here if given the chance. Obviously we should do background checks, etc but that is already standard process for refugee applications. It's appalling to me how unwelcoming Americans are being (not anyone here, those spewing hate on FB mostly). I don't share a religion with most of them but I do share a desire for my children to have a safe place to sleep, just like they do.
              Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
              Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

It's amazing how much hate is produced through ignorance.
                I've been through the immigration process. It's pretty rigorous and rightly so. I honestly can't see how a terrorist would slip through the cracks, not here. I even had a have physical, HIV and TB tests, had to prove I was fully vaccinated... USCIS has improved a lot even since then.
                I became a citizen a few months ago and there were some refugees being naturalized. As I was leaving, one man stopped me and asked if that was it, if he could leave the building. I said yes, you're a citizen now. He stepped outside and literally jumped for joy.
                I wish people could walk a mile in another's shoes...

On another note, my sister is basically housebound in Brussels right now. I'm worried for her, I really am, but what can she do? She has to go to work, has to buy food etc. She lives in a city where ISIS are hiding out and she would be the first to support refugees.

I'll never understand the fear and ignorance and hate of some people.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
                Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

MrsC, you and my husband went through the same rigorous process which I find ok. Our Somali refugees did not. There is rampant TB here. Rampant and advanced.

I think we should open our arms but that we need to do background checks as well as make sure people aren't coming in with communicable diseases like TB.

My caution is really safety.

Comment

Of course, I recognize the need for all of these things.

I am very surprised by that though. Everything I have read says that refugees go through health screenings and background checks too so I wonder what happened? Did someone drop the ball or did they not go through the proper channels? Of all organizations, the USCIS does things by the book. It's very strange.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by MrsC; 11-22-2015, 06:43 PM.
                    Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                    Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

I have no idea really. It keeps dh busy for sure. Also some of them are distrustful and refuse treatment. They are placed in isolation against their will for months at a time and then are sent to a nursing home until it's all gone. 😱

Comment

Working...
                      X