Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Calling all Conservatives, Libertarians, Independents, and Non-Liberals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is definitely a tyranny of the left. It's palpable in my job/school environment. It's easier to call someone a name and write them off than to have a hard conversation with them and listen. It's also easier to use your religious beliefs to not listen too. Real dialogue is possible and it used to happen more here regarding politics. I still see it in career and family threads. The morgue has definitely become a morgue
    -Ladybug

Comment

Sorry for that little fit.
      Alison

Comment

Originally posted by Flynn View Post
        I post infrequently but I read this site on a weekly basis. When I saw the title of this thread I clicked eagerly hoping to read all the posts from intelligent people here who I don't tend to agree with politically, but I do respect and really think about what they post and why.

This election and where we are as a country has us all tied up in knots. It's a scary time. I've decided to really listen to people -- which I'm not very good at sometimes.

I think it's time we all gave each other here a pass on what's happened or perceived to have happened in the past and move on to more discussion. Just my two cents.
        This! This is why I opened this thread!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
        Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
          Sorry for that little fit.
          [MENTION=985]spotty_dog[/MENTION] - your post made me smile...why you say? Because I had a little fit myself - waaaaay back late Oct. My knee-jerk response was to say enough with IMSN and I did not "show up" until mid January (I couldn't stay away) . Thank you SP for not being like me and continuing to show up.
          Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Originally posted by medpedspouse View Post
            [MENTION=985]spotty_dog[/MENTION] - your post made me smile...why you say? Because I had a little fit myself - waaaaay back late Oct. My knee-jerk response was to say enough with IMSN and I did not "show up" until mid January (I couldn't stay away) . Thank you SP for not being like me and continuing to show up.
            I've run myself off enough times to know that I still have to own my words even if they consist of an emotional dump while crying.
            Alison

Comment

I was one of the liberals a few years ago that probably ran people off the site. The commymommy is now a conservative on most issues. I'm not really okay with talking about my views because the current climate is to scream racist, xenophobic, white supremacist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
              ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Personally I've tried to ignore the political threads. It isn't what I'm on this forum for. And it's impossible for it not to turn emotional and end up with people's feelings hurt, as this thread also seems to have done. For far too many months, the majority of the active threads have been political. That is likely what's scaring people away.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
                Grace

Comment

I have to disagree. I enjoy reading the political threads. I think we have a diverse intelligent group here and I like hearing what people have to say on current issues, especially those outside of my bubble. It's a big part of what is going on in the world right now. Even though this site is for medical spouses I find it is much more than that for me. I am so introverted I don't have a ton of social interactions IRL and I like to come here to talk with adults. I am more than just a doctors wife and like to discuss other topics like parenting and current events, not just talk about tips for the match process (although that kind of info has been invaluable). It is too bad that they sometimes turn emotional.

Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

Comment

Originally posted by civilspouse View Post
                    I have to disagree. I enjoy reading the political threads. I think we have a diverse intelligent group here and I like hearing what people have to say on current issues, especially those outside of my bubble. It's a big part of what is going on in the world right now. Even though this site is for medical spouses I find it is much more than that for me. I am so introverted I don't have a ton of social interactions IRL and I like to come here to talk with adults. I am more than just a doctors wife and like to discuss other topics like parenting and current events, not just talk about tips for the match process (although that kind of info has been invaluable). It is too bad that they sometimes turn emotional.

Ditto. I don't participate in the political threads very often, but I do enjoy reading them! This is such an intelligent group, I find myself learning a lot more about what the "other side" thinks from reading these threads than from FB or Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by gcuthbe1 View Post
                      Personally I've tried to ignore the political threads. It isn't what I'm on this forum for. And it's impossible for it not to turn emotional and end up with people's feelings hurt, as this thread also seems to have done. For far too many months, the majority of the active threads have been political. That is likely what's scaring people away.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
                      Several months ago, people were complaining that the lack of discussion in the debates/current events forum was making it hard for new members to participate in meaningful conversation. If there are other current events worthy of discussion, please open threads.

Comment

I'm sort of frustrated that so many people are unwilling to share their views when so many of us are looking for understanding of opposition viewpoints. Then we have several members complaining that they feel unwelcome because their views are not represented here. At some point or another, we've all expressed unpopular opinions and either defended our views or apologized when the mob came after us. That shouldn't end the dialogue for mature people.

Comment

I also want to say, I'm running out of things to talk about. When I start threads about books, clothes, or celebrities, people complain they are frivolous. When all the mommies were talking about parenting, those without children felt excluded and complained we had become a parenting board. If I start a thread about medicine, everyone is bored. If I talk about politics, half our members say they are afraid to discuss. What happened to conversation? We used to talk about everything here.

Comment

As much as I do participate, it gets exhausting. Discussing politics all the time isn't really helping much in the here and now--it's just too personal lately. The internet just isn't a great place for political discourse most of the time--you need the accountability. Not to say that it hasn't been good here, but it is much harder to say something over the line to someone when you are sitting in front of them physically.
                            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

[MENTION=1498]MrsK[/MENTION] I enjoy your topics. And I know how hard it is to come up with new things to talk about. I'm sorry that I feel uncomfortable talking about how I feel politically. I hear the vitriol on FB. My iMSN friends have threatened unfriending anyone who agrees with any part of Trump's agenda. I do support repealing and replacing Obamacare. In my opinion it is unaffordable for middle class America. I work in healthcare and have seen first hand the impact on families that have to discontinue services due to cost. I personally cannot afford to use my healthcare. I support limiting immigration from nations where there is rampant terrorism. But we had a terror attack in our mall where people were stabbed. My daughter was on the way there. There was more support in my community for the Somali community than the victims. The off duty officer was condemned by the liberals in our community for shooting the terrorists. I found it shameful. I want taxes lowered and I don't mind if we cut 10% of the federal budget to get there. Now that I've said this, I expect to be unfriended on FB.

~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                              ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I usually engage in these topics but was attacked in another group this week. Without knowing what they were talking about I suddenly became the face of "white feminism". I didn't feel like wasting my evening trying to convince strangers on the internet so I immediately backed down and just apologized. over and over again. It wasn't enough. They wanted to dogpile and school me on how wrong I was. And this was a bunch of liberals. Seriously, if that's how you treat "one of your own" I feel bad for people with opposing viewpoints.

I hope you don't stop coming up with discussions MrsK. It seems like the same people are around as when I first joined, they're just posting less. For myself, I also know I'm not as good at pulling people out and making them talk, but that's not reason to not start new threads. I'll go post one right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X