Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Immigration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have first hand experience of arrival as a refugee on the basis of religious persecution. 27 years ago the vetting process took an average of 6 months, several interviews, health screening and required a guarantor. Our only assistance from the government was a year of food stamps.

We came without any papers and we're pretty much without a citizenship of any kind for 6 years, until naturalization.

There's also plenty of crime and system scaming in the Russian community among those who were admitted as refugees, but I doubt any of those stories will make national news.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Vishenka69 View Post
      I have first hand experience of arrival as a refugee on the basis of religious persecution. 27 years ago the vetting process took an average of 6 months, several interviews, health screening and required a guarantor. Our only assistance from the government was a year of food stamps.

We came without any papers and we're pretty much without a citizenship of any kind for 6 years, until naturalization.

There's also plenty of crime and system scaming in the Russian community among those who were admitted as refugees, but I doubt any of those stories will make national news.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm curious, how is a refugee expected to obtain a job without any documents or an official citizenship status?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Once our refugee was approved, we received a white card, a precursor to the green card. The white card gave us a legal alien status and ability to apply for SS#. After a year in the country, we applied for green card, which entailed the usual process (interview, finger prints, background check, etc).

Comment

I wonder about the differences when you file for political asylum. I should check.
          Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

But...what about the places and ideologies people are fleeing? What happens there? What happened there? I think that's a bigger problem than immigration.
            -Ladybug

Comment

Can we talk about the litigation surrounding this? It's going to the Supreme Court. Do you think Trump will get his judge confirmed before it's heard?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
              Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
                Can we talk about the litigation surrounding this? It's going to the Supreme Court. Do you think Trump will get his judge confirmed before it's heard?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
                If he's smart (rather than arrogant), he'll just abandon the appeal and issue a new executive order, superseding the current one. Freaking fix all of the stupid, sloppily slapped together crap. Moot out the current litigation and make everyone start over.

But I doubt he will. Because he's arrogant. The law is on his side in terms of his authority in most respects--whether people like it or not. The Ninth Circuit--as usual--wrote an order with ridiculously specious reasoning. (Possibly reaching the right conclusion, but for the wrong reason--nothing new for that court). And the trial court judge literally injected his own facts that were not properly made part of the evidentiary record. But NONE OF THAT MATTERS... There is a much easier fix--so do it. Address the Ninth Circuit's concerns in the new executive order and force the hand of these states. Especially the green card problems--did NO ONE at the White House think this executive order through before it was issued?) But abandoning the first executive order would, of course, require Trump admitting that his executive order was poorly drafted and badly managed--which I can't imagine that he would do.

Last I heard, the DOJ has decided not to appeal the stay to the Supremes. Yeah, no kidding they shouldn't. What's that going to get them? Likely, the Administration would get a 4-4 split (thereby keeping the stay in order AND getting at least four justice to agree, on the record, that they think there is a good chance the Administration will lose at the trial court on the merits). Even if the DOJ did appeal the stay, Gorsuch wouldn't be confirmed in time to hear args because an appeal would be heard on an emergency basis. Gorsuch will be confirmed before any appeal of the underlying litigation is taken...if the litigation actually happens and Trump loses.

But I also think it is pretty presumptuous for people to think that Gorsuch is a "given" to rule in the Administration's favor.
                Last edited by GrayMatterWife; 02-10-2017, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X