Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Taking a knee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did not say you are disrespecting my opinion. And feel free to disagree. Different opinions are a good thing. It would be nice if we could appreciate why people feel differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona View Post
      Well, I didn't sick out and I don't think it's appropriate to protest at work. Again. It's my opinion. It doesn't fit the narrative that is popular. Despite my misgivings, I still support the players right to protest. I just think it was the wrong choice. It has backfired and become a political issue instead of focusing on racial injustice. I respect your opinion. Mine also deserves respect.

I don't think anyone is being disrespectful. Some just disagree.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
      Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
        I don't think anyone is being disrespectful. Some just disagree.

I don't believe I said anyone was being disrespectful. I have no issue with disagreement.

Comment

Maybe it is within their rights. It is offensive and they are alienating their base. Maybe you don't understand why someone could find it offensive .... it's worthwhile to try. Otherwise there is nothing but anger and division. As it stands, the issue has been obscured.

Protests in general are meant to be offensive. If everyone agreed, there woukd be no need to protest.

If I'm remembering correctly, students who were Jehovah's witnesses were permitted to abstain from reciting the pledge of allegiance at school because an oath of allegiance conflicted with their religious beliefs. They weren't anarchists.

Comment

I don't believe I said anyone was being disrespectful. I have no issue with disagreement.

You said you felt like we don't respect your opinion. There is a difference between disrespect and disagreement.....which, come to think of it, is exactly the problem with taking the knee. It's meant as an expression of disagreement. People who take umbrige to it feel that it conveys disrespect.

Personally, I think the "disrespect" language surrounding taking the knee is a dog whistle. For centuries, black men have been murdered, lynched, etc for being "disrespectful". While I know that you don't mean it that way, I think it can be heard that way by Black people and by white supremisists.

Comment

The NFL did not allow Dallas players to show their support for fallen officers by wearing stickers on their helmets but they allow this protest.

Look. I support peaceful protest and the 1st amendment. I simply do not believe this was the best choice as it has alienated many veterans and supporters of the flag. Unfortunately, the issue itself has been lost. I've not heard the actual issue discussed anymore. As such, this protest is failing. Add to that the fact that ticket sales and viewership are down.

Comment

You said you felt like we don't respect your opinion. There is a difference between disrespect and disagreement.....which, come to think of it, is exactly the problem with taking the knee. It's meant as an expression of disagreement. People who take umbrige to it feel that it conveys disrespect.

Personally, I think the "disrespect" language surrounding taking the knee is a dog whistle. For centuries, black men have been murdered, lynched, etc for being "disrespectful". While I know that you don't mean it that way, I think it can be heard that way by Black people and by white supremisists.

Actually, I just said that I respected your opinion and wanted mine respected. I never accused anyone of not respecting me. And I'm not even listening when it gets to "dog whistle". I'm sure I'm a white supremacist and racist who has no clue about how black people were murdered and lynched. Thanks for the unnecessary lesson.

Comment

The NFL did not allow Dallas players to show their support for fallen officers by wearing stickers on their helmets but they allow this protest.

Look. I support peaceful protest and the 1st amendment. I simply do not believe this was the best choice as it has alienated many veterans and supporters of the flag. Unfortunately, the issue itself has been lost. I've not heard the actual issue discussed anymore. As such, this protest is failing. Add to that the fact that ticket sales and viewership are down.

The issue isn't being talked about because a smokescreen was created. Honestly, I think this would happen with any form of protest because people just don't want to hear it. No matter what is done to draw attention to the issue, the response has been "Squirrel!" Look at anything but the issues.

Comment

The issue isn't being talked about because a smokescreen was created. Honestly, I think this would happen with any form of protest because people just don't want to hear it. No matter what is done to draw attention to the issue, the response has been "Squirrel!" Look at anything but the issues.

Black lives matters gets s lot of attention in Minnesota. No smoke screens. Their rallies are well attended by people of all racial and ethnic backgrounds.

Comment

Actually, I just said that I respected your opinion and wanted mine respected. I never accused anyone of not respecting me. And I'm not even listening when it gets to "dog whistle". I'm sure I'm a white supremacist and racist who has no clue about how black people were murdered and lynched. Thanks for the unnecessary lesson.

I didn't say you are. I'm saying that you are less sensitive to it because you are neither African American nor a klansman. "Disrespect" has different meanings in different circles.

Comment

You’re conflating a league rule on uniform issues (stickers on helmets) with an off the field action.

The issue is getting lost by people conflating irrelevant and unrelated issues like helmet stickers with racial injustice.

Comment

Taking a knee

I was referring to this conversation not racism/respect in general Emily

Last edited by PrincessFiona; 09-30-2017, 09:51 PM.

Comment

100%

This issue came to me late, after this thread was started I began seeing what was going on. My immediate thought was how come no one ever says how disrespectful it is for Jehovah's Witnesses to refrain not just from the pledge, national anthem, etc but any kind of political or religious act or song? They've been doing that shit for longer than any of us have been alive. But a couple black dudes kneeling is disrespectful?

If a white man told me to kneel during the national anthem I'd tell him to fuck off. Kneeling is such a supplicating position the fact that people are outraged by this is beyond me. This is white privilege at it's core. If you don't want to be part of the problem stop telling minorities how to peacefully protest.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Comment

I was referring to this conversation not racism/respect in general Emily

I know. When you say that you respect my opinion and yours should be respected too, it implies that you think your opinion is not respected. That's why Wendy and I both said we disagree, not disrespect.

On a larger scale, however, when certain public figures make statements that taking the knee is "disrespectful", I hear a dog whistle.

Comment

Originally posted by MAPPLEBUM View Post
                                100%

This issue came to me late, after this thread was started I began seeing what was going on. My immediate thought was how come no one ever says how disrespectful it is for Jehovah's Witnesses to refrain not just from the pledge, national anthem, etc but any kind of political or religious act or song? They've been doing that shit for longer than any of us have been alive. But a couple black dudes kneeling is disrespectful?

If a white man told me to kneel during the national anthem I'd tell him to fuck off. Kneeling is such a supplicating position the fact that people are outraged by this is beyond me. This is white privilege at it's core. If you don't want to be part of the problem stop telling minorities how to peacefully protest.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
                                It's not about minorities protesting. But along those lines, don't tell me where to spend my dollars. Not on NFL stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X