Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coronavirus

What are your thoughts on all this? I'm really curious what the ID docs have to say about it. @PrincessFiona @medwife517 ?

My parents are freaking out (the 24/7 news alarmist news coverage they always have around doesn't help) and my brother's "love interest" (because we can never nail down exactly what she is) lives in the biggest outbreak area of South Korea, so he is a little worried for her.
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

I’m not super worried. We homeschool and have no immunocompromised people at home.

Also, the super high death rates occurring in China are likely inflated bc of the high rates of smoking there.

So, net-net, I’m not worried until it gets here and we see what happens in the US. One thing that I am curious about is what will happen if they start canceling schools for weeks at a time, our society just totally isn’t set up for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I’m very concerned. I get most of my info from private public health channels (I have an MPH and maintain connections to my field) and it’s moving faster than they would’ve liked. The first community-spread case (unknown origin, meaning spreading freely in the community) is a few hours from me. The large academic medical center was not able to test the patient (or isolate them) for 4 days because of CDC testing protocols. After they could test, it took 3 or 4 more days to get the positive result. Think of the exposure within the facility, not to mention wherever this person contracted it!! China’s smoking rates (and severe air pollution) could be a factor, but Italy’s infection rates aren’t looking great either and they have a lower smoking rate, around 20%. We’re seeing a possible biphasic disease (where it reappears after it’s cleared the system) which also isn’t great. Vaccines won’t really help if it’s as contagious as it seems to be, there simply isn’t time. Most public health channels are focusing on treatments (mostly antivirals). Wash your hands folks!
      Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

[MENTION=1768]scrub-jay[/MENTION] can you speak more to the biphasic nature of the disease?

I'm less worried about health implications for our family as we're otherwise healthy (that may change based on scrub-jays answer) but I am worried about practical issues. If daycare closes I will need to stay home. If it's closed for more than a couple weeks, I'll absolutely be out of PTO and have no idea if I'd have job protection. Even if daycare were not to close, I'm not sure I'd be considered essential personnel in my clinic, so depending on protocol I could be SOL anyway.

Since we're near major academic medical center and universities that require lots of travel for research and practice, I expect it will be in our area soon.

Also not looking forward to navigating the post-match move with this going on.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Comment

Also, really worried about implications of this during an election year. Especially this election year.

Comment

Originally posted by rufflesanddots View Post
            Also, really worried about implications of this during an election year. Especially this election year.

Yeah this is my biggest concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
            Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

[MENTION=4468]rufflesanddots[/MENTION] So this is pretty fresh information, so details are limited. Several reports of patients in China (including one Japanese woman in China, she’s the case that’s hit the news) where the patient cleared the infection, tested negative, released from hospital, only to test positive again days to weeks later with new (deep lung) symptoms. No studies yet, no real information. But public health personnel are concerned and looking closely at these cases. On a personal level, I am inventorying my cupboard for fever management meds (ibu & tyl) for both adults & kids.

Comment

I find it interesting that Secretary Azar (Health & Human Services) announced that if a vaccine were made, the administration would not guarantee affordability and the vaccine may not be affordable for all Americans. Hmmm...

Comment

Originally posted by scrub-jay View Post
                  [MENTION=4468]rufflesanddots[/MENTION] So this is pretty fresh information, so details are limited. Several reports of patients in China (including one Japanese woman in China, she’s the case that’s hit the news) where the patient cleared the infection, tested negative, released from hospital, only to test positive again days to weeks later with new (deep lung) symptoms. No studies yet, no real information. But public health personnel are concerned and looking closely at these cases. On a personal level, I am inventorying my cupboard for fever management meds (ibu & tyl) for both adults & kids.
                  Huh. That's interesting and concerning. What does deep lung symptoms entail? I'm not quite sure what you mean.

I've stocked up on tyl and ibu too. :/

Comment

[MENTION=4468]rufflesanddots[/MENTION] Your guess is as good as mine. “Chest pain, cough from deep lung” Speculating here, but lower respiratory? Maybe a translation issue. It did not say pneumonia. Also, I’m not a doctor... lol

Comment

I just read an article saying that COVID-19 is closer to a HIV type infection and different to SARS, which is a mutation than wouldn't likely occur in nature.
                      It's scary. I'm concerned about how little we know about its impact on kids and also the strain on healthcare and services.
                      We have a trip to Ireland in 10 weeks and the first case there was confirmed up North. An outbreak there would cripple the healthcare system.
                      Hubby is supposed to start his new job when we get back. While the new hospital is far better equipped and prepared to handle such cases, it's also likely that they'll accept most of the severe cases if we have them. And he's an ICU doc so he'll have direct contact.
                      Is anyone thinking of stocking up on food etc as well as medication?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
                      Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                      Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Originally posted by MrsC View Post
                        Is anyone thinking of stocking up on food etc as well as medication?
                        Yep! I don't think it's going to come down to a full quarantine or stores are going to close like they are in China. But I do think there's a chance that some announcement is going to go out in the media like, "Try to stay home if you can and reduce the spread," and people are going to throng to the stores seeking bread and milk and toilet paper like they do before a big storm. And when that happens, I don't want to be stuck without enough stuff for dinner, and needing to go out and join those germy throngs! So tomorrow I'm going to do a more careful grocery shop than usual, and stock up on enough stuff that I don't HAVE to go to the store for a week or more. (We also have probably nearly a week supply of MREs and water for a true emergency situation, but I have no intention of cracking into that stash for this.)

There's no downside to being prepared to be self-sufficient. Infection and quarantine are far from the only disasters that are worth being prepared for. (I MIGHT be a little too immersed in this since I'm on the PTA Emergency Planning Committee, trying to get our schools prepared in case they need to keep our kids for a few extra hours or even days in the aftermath of a disaster of any sort!)
                        Alison

Comment

If you take meds, we may see shortages because of manufacturing in China, so you may want to stock up a bit.

Comment

Actually, I think this is the worst thing for him. Nothing like an election year focused on a tanking economy, poor government response to an emergency, and healthcare issues for a bunch of sick people to really help him out.
                            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
                              Actually, I think this is the worst thing for him. Nothing like an election year focused on a tanking economy, poor government response to an emergency, and healthcare issues for a bunch of sick people to really help him out.
                              Maybe. I was more concerned he'd take advantage of people's fear and the potential need to quarantine as a way to limit access to voting.

Comment

Working...
                              X