Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What can YOU do...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm glad Dagny posted this. It's been a long time since I've volunteered, and I really need to do it.

Angie, I can relate to you on a much smaller scale--on the other side. I rarely discuss politics-- I think I've expressed my opinions more on this site than with close friends. I hate that in my circle of friends (and in my democratic state) to vote Republican means I'm stupid, uneducated, and/or a Religious freak. This polarization is hurting all of us, regardless of which side we're on, and regardless of who's in office.

Comment

Esther...I agree.....It does seem like things have come down to black/white extreme pictures of each party.....It is hard to be in the middle or to agree with certain parts of each party's platform. I hate that when I discuss any views that are considered 'liberal' I am accused of hating america, being a communist (I assure you I'm no ) or of not caring about the troops....

The polarization does prevent honest discussion and the ability for the parties to come together and find a common ground.
      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I would never characterize someone as stupid or a religious freak for voting Republican. I have been repeating this mantra to myself for years now----I guess I just get frustrated when I feel the other side won't try. And when I say the other side, I don't mean actual voters. Most of the republican voters I've met have been reasonable. It's the Michael Moore/Bill OReilly/Howard Stern/Pat Falwell extremes in the public eye that have my dander up.....and I REALLY wish it hadn't been part of the campaign plan to have Bush do all his attacks on Kerry directly(as per the Karl Rove article I read this morning) because I find it impossible to not lump him in as "part of the problem". I associate him with attacking ME. This is just not good. I will try to avoid the press. Needless to say, I sympathize with conservative voters who are P**sed they have to apologize for voting for Bush because Michael Moore made an inflammatory movie. I just want to shout from the rooftops that the insults have been running this way too --but now I am expected to shake hands and go forward together for the sake of the country. Maybe the appeals for reconciliation should not be made by the same person who chuckled at my beliefs and fears for the last 6 months.

Angie
        Angie
        Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
        Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Angie, I see what you're saying now. Sorry, I misunderstood your point before. I hadn't interpreted either candidate's attacks on each other as attacks on voters. I can certainly see how that would make you feel disenfranchised.

Comment

The original question was:

What can YOU do to make this country a greater place?

What I am doing right now is:

- Teaching my children to be responsible people and good citizens. After all, they are the future! And, since I've got quite a few children I'm raising a fairly large share of the future of society (especially when one adds up my potential grandchildren and great-grandchildren who will be influenced by my teachings).

- Vocally supporting those causes in politics which I believe are for the benefit of society as well as vocally voicing opposition to those causes I believe to be detrimental to society. Along with vocal support or opposition, of course, comes action. For me action to this date has involved voting and the occasional talk with a politician. In the future I expect to volunteer for political campaigns (as my children get older that is).

- Being a law-abiding citizen. This includes following the speed-limit, paying my taxes without "fudging", and other more "mundane" things. Why is this important to me? Well, I do believe a test of integrity is how one acts when one isn't being watched. So many of our laws are able to be easily broken with little fear of being caught (playing the odds so to speak). I believe that people who obey the laws of the land even when they probably won't be caught if they don't - are upholding their own personal integrity. Personal integrity is one of those qualities that I believe is important for society to function well - and I believe it is a quality rapidly being lost or even ridiculed among individual members of our society. Those who exhibit integrity are really helping to improve a devolving societal situation.

- Paying 10% of my income to charity. This charity is distributed by my church and they keep their records quite open and transparent for members to review. There is almost no "overhead" in my church's charitable activities and that is a major plus for me. My money has gone to fund vaccinations (such as polio) around the world, programs that teach the truly poor how to farm in sustainable ways, educational programs (including schools), emergency supplies and food to areas hit by natural disasters (the mudslides in Guatemala and flooding in the Carribean due to hurricanes are examples in recent years). I believe helping your fellow man improves society and makes it greater.

That's my list for the moment.

Jennifer
            Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
            With fingernails that shine like justice
            And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Working...
            X