Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Stem Cell Veto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stem Cell Veto

So, as I'm sure everyone can figure out, I have no problem with stem cell research. My take is that the research can benefit millions and therefore any moral question of how the stem cells might be obtained is therefore moot.

How do the masses feel about 1) the Senate apparently backtracking on their originally stated position of backing up the Pres. and 2) the potential Veto.

as an aside, the morality of research can be a whole 'nother debate, me thinks.

Jenn

I think its too bad that Bush is vetoing something that could, and will help millions.

This is the summary of the bill I found and as a strong catholic republican, this is the type of stem cell research I would support.
    The embryonic stem cell bill Congress is preparing to send President Bush would lift his executive order blocking federal funding for any stem cell research using embryonic stem cell lines developed after Aug. 9, 2001. To qualify for federal funding under the bill, newer embryos could be used in studies only if they:

_Were created for the purposes of fertility treatment.

_Were donated by in vitro fertilization clinics with written, informed consent of those being being treated.

_Were"in excess of the clinical need of the individuals seeking such treatment"and would never be implanted in a woman.

_Would otherwise be discarded, as determined by those seeking treatment.

_Were not donated by patients induced to do so by financial or other incentives.
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I think it's a much-needed adjustment to the stem cell research limitations. I'm all for stem cell research, especially with all of the discarded embryos. If they're going to be discarded, why not use them for something that could help millions of people?

I will rejoice if the Senate actually upholds a veto. Let's see what happens.

Comment

I am all for stem cell research!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1000%!
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

It floors me that we are at 'war' in Iraq, the middle east is blowing up, minimum wage in this country is not a living wage, we have millions of uninsured...and we are talking about a veto on stem cell research.

Gawd...when will this presidency end???

kris
          ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
          ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

so do we think the senate is going to have the cojones to do the right thing and override??

Comment

I think it died in the house. Didn't it? I heard yesterday that they needed only 4 more votes in the Senate (possible) but 50 in the house. The sponser said it would die. I think it did yesterday. Is there more news?
              Angie
              Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
              Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I don't think they have the votes - aren't they like 3 or 4 short? I'd like to see it but I don't see it happening.
                Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Where are the assasins when we need them???
                  Luanne
                  wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Originally posted by Luanne123
                    holy monkey Luanne! how much of that beverage have you been sipping?

Comment

I am 100% for stem cell research.

Having said that, let me give you another perspective. The majority of the US population is in favor of this bill, yet a very large percentage of Americans are still against it. Let's not even get into why they are against it. Instead, I want to draw a parallel to the war in Iraq. It's pretty clear that most people on this site are against it and they see it among other things as a waste of resources for a cause they don't believe in. The only difference is that this administration chose to ignore the anti war voices out there and instead it acknowledged the anti stem cell research people. And I'm sure we would have been pretty pleased if our voices had been heard on the topic of the war in Iraq.

And just in case I appeared to be defending the veto, I am not. I simply wanted to turn the issue around a little bit. We'll get our turn in 3 years. In the meantime we'll have to make use of that countdown.
                      Cristina
                      IM PGY-2

Comment

Sorry Cristina, I cannot look at the other side when it comes to that imbecile!

He has no problem sending thousands of men and women to die, but already discarded embryos he wants to "protect"? Besides, everyone should agree with me!

I am with Luanne.

Oh, and speaking of assassins, (huge tangent coming), why can't it be like the movies where we send in Tom Cruise (he has to be good for something) over to North Korea on a covert op? These things always get resolved in two hours in the movies!
                        Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Did anybody see Sam Brownback addressing the senate on the issue? (I confess the only reason I saw any of it was because Jon Steward was poking fun). A proud day for Kansas!
                          Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Originally posted by Luanne123
                            :>

Are you volunteering

kris

Comment

Originally posted by heidi
                              ...why can't it be like the movies where we send in Tom Cruise (he has to be good for something) over to North Korea on a covert op? These things always get resolved in two hours in the movies!
                              Admittedly, heidi, I have often thought the same thing. The US has been involved in some uprisings like this (think S. America) but...why not just take care of it the *easy* way. I think it breaks some international law (see how informed I am ) though. Imagine if all of the diff. countries were running around assasinating the leaders that they thought were bad. Also, I guess there is the question then too of who would replace said leader. If we went into Iran (for example) and took out the big guy, someone just as bad would probably take his place.

It doesnt make sense that instead thousands of innocent people have to die or be displaced in 'legal' wars, does it.

kris

Comment

Working...
                              X