Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Doctor/Lawyer Couples

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Doctor/Lawyer Couples

I just got my Kaplan/ PMBR materials in the mail for the July bar.... Nooooo...... I don't want to think about it just yet!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK
      Hi! Glad I can help. I'd recommend taking the exam where you are working and then wait and see. You may be able to transfer to another office within the same firm or you may get to stay put. There really isn't any point in taking multiple bar exams at this point. And regardless of whether you are admitted in a reciprocity state, you may still find yourself in a state that does not allow admission or motion or in a state where you just haven't practiced long enough to waive in. Taking the exam is pretty miserable and even if your firm is paying for you to take it, they probably won't be paying your annual dues or CLE if you are not actively practicing in the additional jurisdictions.

As for changing your name. . . I changed my name when I got married legally and in my personal life. In FL, I can practice law under a different name if I choose. When I married, I had 9 years of documents recorded in the public records with my name on them but no bar number listed on the documents. Unlike litigators, transactional attorneys rarely put their bar numbers on documents. Also, I had publications and had served on numerous boards using my maiden name. I was worried that if I changed my name all together, I would untraceable in the event that anyone ever needed to contact me regarding an old transaction, publication, or appointment. So, for the purposes of my FL bar license only, I use my maiden name and my married name, no hyphen (as in Jane Doe Smith) while socially I use my husband's name only (as in Jane Michelle Smith). It was super easy to do the paperwork with the Bar once I decided to make the change. I think I just sent them a letter and it was done.

However, still, and especially when dealing with people in my firm's satellite offices, I get blank looks when I use my married name. And sometimes office services even tells people that I don't work there. This is very strange for me because prior to becoming a partner, I ran our firm's charitable foundation and coordinated pro bono and volunteer projects for employees in all of our offices nationally. I used to send weekly newsletters to all the employees, run monthly fundraisers, and made presentations at every new employee orientation. I was extremely visable and everybody knew my name. Now, I have a new name and I'm commuting so I'm not physically in the office a lot so it's like I've vanished. It's been almost a year and I still have this silly introduction that goes like this . . . "I'm Jane Smith" (wait a few beats) "I used to be Jane Doe." Response: sudden recognition concurrent with "Ohhhh, you're the Fund Lady."

However, as you will be just starting your career when you marry, changing your name professionally probably won't have as big an impact. If I were you, I'd just use whatever name you'd like. I'm not sure how the timing will affect the bar admission process. That may depend on your state so I'd recommend that you discuss it with the state's board of bar admissions. I was moving and applying for the OH bar when I changed my name. I actually called the state bar admissions office and asked them "what is my name?" because I have two names and didn't know which to use for my application. . . funny, it sounds like I have an alias!
      I have FINALLY decided that I will graduate with my maiden name, and change it before I start working so that professionally, I will be known by my married name. I feel the most comfortable having my maiden name on my diploma and transcript for some reason. Our school just posted all of the names of the graduating students on a board and my married name is up there and it just didn't feel right. I love my name my parents gave me!

Comment

Originally posted by Bittersweet
        Originally posted by MrsK
        The JD is "younger" in the practice than I am and he's taken bar exams in each of the 3 states since he was not eligible for admission without exam.
        Yep, that will probably be me. I’m studying for Bar Exam #1 (god help me) for my current state. After the match I’ll begin studying for Bar Exam #2 for whichever state the match dictates and will likely have to embark on Bar Exam #3 in another three years for Dh's fellowship. I’ve reconciled with the idea that I’ll be doing this multiple times. I’m far from thrilled … such is life.
        I don't know if you took the Bar yet, but good luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by LegallyBrunette
          I just got my Kaplan/ PMBR materials in the mail for the July bar.... Nooooo...... I don't want to think about it just yet!!!
          Ok. Here's my advise on studying for the Bar. I took PMBR and BarBri to prepare for the FL bar in 1999 and passed with a very high score. Though its been a while and some aspects of the exam have changed, I think my advise will still be relevant.

When you get the class syllabus, compare it to your study materials. Divide the number of questions for each subject by the number of days each subject is lectured. For instance, if you have 300 real property questions and 3 days of real property lectures, you'll be doing 100 question each of those 3 days. Work in days off too -- I correlated mine with the days that there was no lecture (July 4th, for instance). I actually ended up studying on my scheduled days off because there were some study days that I just couldn't handle. Having a few "off" days, gave me a bit of flexibility. On my off days, I'd go shopping or go to the beach with a taped lecture in my walkman.

Don't bother with reading and outlining a lot of text. It's all covered in your lectures and outlining is not the skill you are working on. But if you see that you are struggling with a particular aspect of a subject (for instance, you don't know what "fee simple" is or you keep missing questions about the Rule of Perpetuties) then look it up and read that portion of the text.

Go to your lectures and take notes in the morning. Have lunch. And then go to a coffee shop and do your questions -- time yourself because you'll have time limits when you take the exam. I went to Barnes & Nobel. Being away from the law library and all those freaked out law students helped me focus. By 6PM, Barnes & Nobel would start filling up and I'd be done for the day.

As you get nearer to the exam date, get into a study group with one or two other students. This really helped me because I was loosing momentum around then. Keep the group small so you aren't distracted. After morning lecture, have lunch, and meet up with your study group to review your answers to questions (do the questions on your own the night before). If any one of you missed a question, take a few moments to discuss it and explain it to eachother. Do this with essays too. There are basically 6 types of multiple choice questions on the exam so once you understand the pattern, you'll do fine.

I have tips for taking the exam too. We'll get to those when you are nearer to your exam date.

:good luck:
          Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

MrsK, you may be the most organized person I've ever known. I think you've inspired me to organize something this afternoon, and there's so much to choose from around here that it won't be a problem.

Comment

I know! I was going to say that if I was ever considering taking the bar (which let's be clear, I'm not!), I would listen to MrsK!!
              Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
              Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheBeach
                MrsK, you may be the most organized person I've ever known. I think you've inspired me to organize something this afternoon, and there's so much to choose from around here that it won't be a problem.
                I'd bet Mrs. K is the person all the rest of us in law school were simultaneously afraid of and impressed by...the kind of student who showed up having read not only the day's assignment, but also the additional commentary on the topic, and sketched out outlines of the primary points. And, she's seems so nice that she probably was the student that SHARED their outlines!! (A rarity in the dog-eat-dog world of 1Ls!!).

Comment

Wow-

I slept with one of my Social work texts under my pillow in prep for my licensing exam...

and that was it.

Jenn

Comment

Originally posted by LegallyBrunette
                    Seriously, do not think about it. You'll have plenty of time to worry/stress in June and July. Having just taken the bar this week, my advice is simple: follow BarBri and the study/practice test schedule they give you. I did exactly that and felt well prepared ... now lets just hope that I passed. There's a good reason you (or your future employer) paid for it, so use it.

Comment

Mrs.K and Bittersweet, thanks so much. I got in the mail and I thought to myself... NOO I don't want to think about this yet!!! So I won't stress out about it now... I put the box in the corner of my room so I don't have to think about it lol...
                      Thanks for all of the pointers and advice.... I didn't think about how to study yet, so I am lucky to be a head of the game
                      I probably will be posting more about it as the exam comes up!

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife
                        Originally posted by AtTheBeach
                        I'd bet Mrs. K is the person all the rest of us in law school were simultaneously afraid of and impressed by...the kind of student who showed up having read not only the day's assignment, but also the additional commentary on the topic, and sketched out outlines of the primary points. And, she's seems so nice that she probably was the student that SHARED their outlines!! (A rarity in the dog-eat-dog world of 1Ls!!).
                        I was the person who skated through college and didn't really learn to study until law school. My 1L class was a hyper-competative group where there only 2 A's were given for the semester in each of our classes. Most of my classmates had ever gotten a B in their lives. One of our professors was THE actual professor about whom "The Paper Chase" was written; It was written by a former teaching assistant of his. We were so obnoxious that our professors used to beg the students who flocked to their office hours to just go to the movies. People used to break into lockers to steal notes & outlines, hide books from the library, etc. During my 2L year, a roommate stole and distributed one of my outlines my entire Business Associations class.

I was doing well and was slightly ahead of the curve until I was in a serious car accident about 3 weeks before 1st semester finals and took my exams while on pain killers -- The Paper Chase prof advised me to just take the exams because it would have been too hard to repeat the semester and he figured I'd pass. So, I finished my first semester with a 2.7 having taken A's in legal writing and civil procedure because those grades were in before the accident and taking C's and even a C- in my other classes. Then I really had to study really hard to dig my way out. I graduated Cum Laude but just barley.

The FL Bar exam has an especially high fail rate. After my law school experience, I was scared to death that I'd fail the bar exam. I decided early on that I needed a strategy for the Bar exam or I'd be doomed. Breaking it down into "bite sized" pieces really helped. Also, as Bittersweet recommended, I didn't begin studying until I started the BarBri course -- which for us was 1 day after our graduation ceremony.

Comment

I know I am jumping in late here - but we are another JD/MD couple. I am crossing my fingers that I won't have to take another bar exam - that was miserable!
                          Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Originally posted by MarissaNicole3
                            I know I am jumping in late here - but we are another JD/MD couple. I am crossing my fingers that I won't have to take another bar exam - that was miserable!
                            I knew you'd find this thread. Welcome.

Comment

Working...
                            X