Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Additional Match Stress: Applying to Law School

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarissaNicole View Post
    None of the lawyers I knew told me not to go to law school... until after I had started. Now I freely tell people that I hated law school. Although I do enjoy practicing law.

Where is NYCHoosier? - we need an update on her status of applying to law school.
    Hey! I've applied to 8; 2 super reaches, 5 match/reach, and OSU...which I don't want to call a safety, but my numbers are really strong for it. I just heard from my first school yesterday; I'm in at one of my match schools. It's a very exciting way to start the process.

I've seen that video many times (ironically, I actually know a guy who has argued constitutional issues before the supreme court... and he went to University of Florida, haha.. though he did graduate in the 70s). I do think fair warning is appropriate. I advised my old sorority chapter, and a lot of those girls are applying to law school because that's the main (only?) profession you can go into with a liberal arts background. I think back to when I was their age, and I was clueless in many respects. I knew about criminal law because my dad was a prosecutor for most of my life, but I didn't know about BigLaw or what the industry is like and how you actually get a job out of law school. Now not only do I know that, but I also have BigLaw contacts who have expressed interest in helping me get a job (though I realize I'll still need to get good grades from a good school to return to my old firm). Plus, I actually really like the subject matter. It's kind of pathetic, really, how much I love the stuff and how I discovered that through my old job.

I think the attorneys I've encountered have been very honest. My old boss loved law school but was so-so about practicing. My boss before her referred to law school as easy (and she went to a top 5 school). Those who tell me not to go are doing so as a blanket cost/benefit analysis. I already have a good job with a lot of growth potential. Going to law school is risky, and lawyers tend to be risk averse. In terms of earning potential, the smart choice would be to stay put. Those who have worked with me have been honest about the hurdles, particularly in this economy and as a woman in BigLaw (if I [can] go that route), but ultimately, they know my work and trust that I've seen enough of the nitty gritty to know what I'm getting into.

We'll see! I'm definitely still conflicted about this but am waiting to see where I get in and who, if anyone gives me money and if so how much. I've visited 4 schools, and unfortunately, I felt really out of place at the school DH wants me to attend.
    Back in the Midwest with my PGY-2 ortho DH and putting my fashion degree to good use.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCHoosier View Post
      My boss before her referred to law school as easy (and she went to a top 5 school).
      My understanding from someone in law school right now is that's how it is. The bigger the name of the school, the easier it actually IS, once you get in; the big hurdle's just getting in in the first place.
      Sandy
      Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Originally posted by poky View Post
        My understanding from someone in law school right now is that's how it is. The bigger the name of the school, the easier it actually IS, once you get in; the big hurdle's just getting in in the first place.
        More or less. I'm not so sure in that it's easier so much as a more congenial, less competitive environment. The lower ranked programs are more competitive because you need to be in the top 10% of your class to get the same interviews that the top half of the class at higher ranked schools are getting. But yeah, that's true.
        Back in the Midwest with my PGY-2 ortho DH and putting my fashion degree to good use.

Comment

Well congrats on your first acceptance! That's fantastic. It sounds like you have a lot to mull over, but I'm sure it's exciting to have a possibility. I hope you end up with lots of good options.

Comment

I think there's always pressure to be in the top 10% - at a lower-ranked school people are competing for jobs period, at a mid-ranked school people are competing for big law jobs, at a first-tier school people are competing for clerkships. It was certainly very challenging at U Chicago law, no matter what career path you were "shooting" for.

Good to hear things are going well with the applications!
            - Eric: Husband to PGY3 Neuro

Comment

Didn't read this entire thread as it takes forever to load on my new Mac. Not sure why. Anyway, I walked away from a good job with a smaller firm to follow DW to a new city for her attending job this summer. I have realized that if we are ever going to have kids, it will be me that sacrifices. She is in a "lifestyle" field in private practice and works a whole lot of hours. Even though in private practice she doesn't have the research requirements, she does have business meetings and dinners with referral docs. So, I started my own practice and have been keeping busy. I may consider an of counsel type relationship to keep myself flexible, but can no longer be employed. We have a new puppy and if I get a jobby job at a firm there will be nobody to let the dog out, or raise future kiddos. Plus all the doggy daycares require you to pick up the dog by 6:30. Wouldn't happen in my prior gig. Good luck!
              Husband of an amazing female physician!

Comment

Congrats on your new practice Laker! I wish you all the best. I love to hear when medspouses are carving out a career in their own way.
                In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Working...
                X