Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

CV help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CV help

A few years ago when I was mulling around the idea of going for a PhD, a number of you have suggested that I look for an instructor type position instead. Well, I just spoke to a dept chair of a local college today and she wants me to send her a CV and letter of intent. I have no idea what to do or where to start. I clearly have no formal teaching experience or any kind of publications. I told her all that but she said that in order to formally apply, I need to submit something. So how do I buff up an academic CV and what the hell is letter of intent?

She did say that while they never hired someone without a masters before, I'd be the cheapest candidate with least demands (meaning I don't care about tenure or full time work). She also said that they have to officially advertise the job and she can't promise anything, and then proceeded to make plans for lunch in a couple of weeks to discuss this further. Not an interview but lunch. What does that mean?

It means that they have to follow the rules and that it may backfire but she's pretty sure she'd like you in the job.

Go through each of your jobs and think about times that you may have taught something or demonstrated how to do something. Did you ever mentor new employees? (even just a little bit?) You certainly had to educate people when you were trying to get them to buy your products.

I think it's pretty exciting!

Oh, and the letter of intent is just that- expressing your interest in a position with XYZ institution.

J.

Comment

So take my resume and change the bullet points? I've also done some translations and private lessons that I'd like to include. Can this be 2 pages long? I've also written articles but none of them were in Russian or related to this position in any way. Would they be relevant to include? Would it be appropriate to ask her these questions?

Comment

I'm pretty sure going over a page is normal for a CV. I have a phd friend that recently emailed me in a panic because she was applying to a non-academic job and was freaking out about turning her CV into a 1 page resume. (incidentally, the one page thing kills me. I'm too old for a page).
        Last edited by JDAZ11; 09-25-2013, 05:59 PM.

Comment

My CV is 18 pages long. Ridiculous, but necessary if you want a job in academia.
          Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

18 pages? Wow.

I also think it's exciting! I hope you get it. Will you still keep up your design business?

Comment

The position won't start until next fall, so it's a year from now. I think for now it's more about networking and building connections (as mentioned in another thread). We'll see what comes out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by JDAZ11 View Post
                I'm pretty sure going over a page is normal for a CV. I have a phd friend that recently emailed me in a panic because she was applying to a non-academic job and was freaking out about turning her CV into a 1 page resume. (incidentally, the one page thing kills me. I'm too old for a page).
                I would think unless a particular company SPECIFIED "one page only", that two pages would be perfectly acceptable, presuming you have relevant stuff to fill it. More than that is probably pushing it for most corporate jobs, but my resume's been 2 pages for ages, and nobody's ever told me it needed to be shorter (and we went through job search training when I got laid off from Intel 6 years ago; they would have said something).
                Sandy
                Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Originally posted by BonBon View Post
                  18 pages? Wow.
                  Yeah, it's absurd. As part of my doctoral program, we had to take a Business of Psychology course. One of the requirements was creating our CV, and it had to have a bunch of stupid shit in it like "select presentations attended." Who the fuck really cares what presentations I've sat through? But it was required so I had to do it. About half is really relevant, the rest is just fluff. But according to my Chair, "necessary" fluff. LOL.
                  Married to a peds surgeon attending

Comment

What Jenn said. She is probably impressed by your real world experience. What type of class are you teaching? For example, if it is a management type class, I would highlight all your experience in management and include any training sessions you led. I would make sure to point out that you have experience working with adult learners. Maybe google some adult learning theories and use some of those buzz words.

My CV is pretty long but it also includes all publications and presentations along with my work history...which would not be appropriate outside academia. I would think a resume highlighting what you will be teaching should be adequate. Not being in academia, she cannot expect you to have the other stuff.
                    Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

My CV is long too, currently at 10 pages. Mine is mostly publications and grants, but also teaching (including mentoring of students), any presentation I've ever given, service activities, education, and jobs. Include all articles, whether they're relevant or not, because at least it shows you have writing experience. Before I finished my PhD, when I was trying to fill in the CV where I lacked in publications and experience, I also used to have a relevant coursework section.
                      Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

I wrote a long reply last night and then Tapatalk ate it and told me I'm not signed in. Urg.

Anyway, the position is in the Russian dept, teaching Russian I and II. All my work experience is in Finance. I've done some private tutoring and translating work that I'd like to include. Should I even include jobs that had no teaching aspect or just leave gaping holes? Hmm, presentations... tell me more as to what counts as a presentation and how do I list them. Service activities? As in various organizations and volunteering stuff?

Comment

I'd probably include non-relevant positions to avoid holes. My presentations range from journal club presentations in school to conference presentations and invited talks at various seminars or job talks. For service, I have academic service, like committees, editorial activities, like reviewing for journals, and community service, like being in DAR, serving at my church, and being an alumni speaker at my college's recruiting events.
                          Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

isn't academic similar to a medical cv? just follow the same if that doesn't work.. plagiarize (aka google other people cv and copy it..)

Comment

I've also emailed career services at my alma matter. Hopefully someone will be able to walk me through it.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4

Comment

Working...
                              X