Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

CV help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More questions. My articles under iMSN Home have my maiden name, how can I change it to my married one? I'd like to include them under publications. Also, should I include my Envied Home blog articles? Is it conflict of interests if I apply for this position while continuing with the decorating business?

Comment

She is probably impressed by your real world experience. What type of class are you teaching? For example, if it is a management type class, I would highlight all your experience in management and include any training sessions you led.

I want to expound on this quote, but first say I totally disagree with being comfortable having more than 1-2 page CV. It's good to keep a full resume but then you should pick and choose relevant sections depending on the type of job. There's a rule I've heard from several pedagogues but will reference a mentor who's stated it repeatedly, he taught at BU and Boston College, and played in the Boston Symphony: your CV should get shorter over time as you make heavy hitting accomplishments. While years ago I personally did have to include fluff experiences just to show I'd done something, I'm slowly condensing my CV down to only include notable experience. Remember, if you have big league experience it's assumed that you had to go through the small time stuff first.

I was recently hired at two universities without a doctorate (I do have a masters and a post degree). Since it's in the field of music I think I included teaching experience and then the type of performance/collaborations universities like from their professors. Any other notable experiences (like your decorating business) are good to bring up in the interview (if the opportunity lends itself). It's always good to surprise them with stuff that's not on your resume. I generally think people are turned off by resumes with A) a lot of words 2) extraneous experiences. Try to draw up whatever teaching experience (no matter how informal) you have and relevant experience in the field where you'll teach. If you know anyone in the department ask them to write you a letter (or if you have enough letters ask them to write an email or make a phone call). If you know anyone in the community or beyond in the field where you'll teach, or who are professors, ask them to write you a letter. Mostly, don't try to rely on your alliance with the department chair to get you the job. Make your portfolio as competitive as you can so that those who don't know you on the committee will be rooting for you as well. --Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by MAPPLEBUM View Post
        It's good to keep a full resume but then you should pick and choose relevant sections depending on the type of job.
        This part I totally agree with.

Originally posted by MAPPLEBUM View Post
        your CV should get shorter over time as you make heavy hitting accomplishments.
        This part I think is 100% job-dependent. As a tenure track faculty member in the sciences, if my CV isn't getting longer over time, I'm failing at my job. It's not getting longer with lists of jobs, and I have taken some less important things out, but lists of research, teaching, and service activities need to always be growing. It's absolutely imperative that I keep these on my CV unless I switch careers and apply for a non-academic job (in which case I'd use a resume format, not a CV). Nobody's going to assume that I've done these things given my position, because every university has different criteria for hiring, tenure, and promotion.
        Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Working...
        X