Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What are your goals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Current career: law clerk to a federal judge (career status)
    Current career goals 1yr/5 yr/10 yr: 1 yr: to not quit; 5 yr: to retire when my judge retires in 4 years, 11 months; 10 yr: to not be in a career
    Are you doing something specific right now to work towards to those: well, I haven't quit. So there's that. We save aggressively, to give us flexibility for me to retire.

Comment

What are your goals?

I am currently a middle school choir teacher and have been for the past nine years, (also for five years before I had my first child...stayed home with my 3 boys for 11 years and returned to teaching when the youngest was in Pre-K). My new principal has changed my job assignment for next year and I will be teaching many more students in far less depth. I hate the idea, and thought seriously about quitting at the end of the school year. However, my youngest will be an 8th grader in the fall, and his particular class are the best group of kids I have ever had, so I have pretty much decided to teach for one more year to be able to teach that group. After that, I have no idea. So....

1 year: make it through the year teaching 420 students and save money like crazy because we will have two in college in 2016/2017, and we will need a cushion if I quit.

5 year: ???? I am really not kidding that I don't know. If next year is tolerable, despite teaching 5 different classes to 4 different grade levels, and the discipline issues with large groups of students aren't as stressful as I fear they might be (50 6th graders at once), I may continue to teach the entire 5 years. The money is good and we will be on a school schedule anyway since my youngest graduates in 2020. Pretty sure I will be done teaching in 5 years, though, if not sooner.

10 year: enjoy life with DH and my grown-up kids and (maybe) grandkids. Travel, garden, take walks, cook well, entertain.....all the stuff I haven't had time to do since I went back to work and mostly couldn't do with small kids or due to $$$ when I was staying home.

What I'm doing to work towards these goals (or lack thereof): We have just started using Mint to track our spending for the first time in years. Hopefully this will give us a better idea of where we will need to cut back when I stop working, whenever that is. I need to see what ramifications quitting sooner rather than later has on my pension (it will never be a big one since I took so much time off, but benefits are figured according to years of service and average salary, with increases at certain points, so I need to figure all that out). I need to figure out a better way to handle stress. I am a big "stuffer" of emotions, but lately, stress (and peri-menopause&#128527is causing heart palpitations, insomnia, lack of appetite....I've become kind of a mess. Focusing on my health in general would be nice....finding time to exercise, eat well, and go to the doctor are on my list (dr. appt. is made, but I couldn't get in until September). Finally, I am taking lots of time this summer to relax and rejuvenate. I need to delete my work email acct from my phone for the summer (or at least stop checking it), stay away from people (that sounds bad, but everywhere I go I run into students or former students and I just don't want to be "on"), and try not to think about curriculum or music until mid-July. I really just need to turn that part of my brain off for awhile. I am pretty OCD about work, and that has come back to bite me in a big way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by mommax3; 06-11-2015, 11:01 AM.
      Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

[MENTION=4422]MAPPLEBUM[/MENTION] all going to plan and with a bit of luck around April/May 2016
        ~ Mental Health Occupational Therapist, lover of horses, CrossFit, coffee, and the country (previously engaged to an MS4 and aspiring NSG) ~

Comment

Everyone's dreams are so inspiring!

Current career: clinical dietitian for telemetry/cardiac patients

In about 1-2 years finish my masters in nutrition since pretty much all dietitians have their masters I need to be competitive.

My long term goal is to continue working in clinical dietetics but have even more knowledge. Maybe get into ICU. I also want to obtain a CNSC- certified nutrition support clinician. I've started applying for school. I started my masters a few years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Career: vet 2d/wk and SAHM
            1yr: same (maybe 3d/wk) but hoping for a different clinic
            5yr: same
            10yr: same
            working towards goal: put my resume out
            Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

What is your current career? IT Analyst
              What are your current career goals? 1 year. SAHM 5 year. SAHM and NFP Instructor 10 year. Same as 5 year. Maybe pursuing a forecasting certification for fun. I'd like to get involved in the local weather community
              Are you doing something specific right now to work towards those goal? Trying not to quit right now so I can cash in on some stock options and stay at home more easily

Working outside of the home was never my long term dream. I chose my career path because I'm good at it and I could get going quickly and make us a good living during training. And then get the F out to do what I want.
              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Working...
              X