Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Distance Learning Masters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you thought about trying to find regular, substantive volunteer work in an area that may be of interest? Someplace like a community health nonprofit would probably be very flexible in terms of working with you to find things you could do from home or while wearing a newborn. It might help you get a better sense for what you really want to commit to studying while making connections in the field/community and demonstrating interest in the health field.

Comment

^it's a nice idea but one I haven't got time for right now. And once I quit work, I want to truly quit and not have regular childcare/nanny like I do now. So I need something truly at home and self paced. I wouldn't want to bring a tiny baby around all the germs at a health clinic either.

But I do think I could get something out of an MPH. Community health and/or hospital work are both a possibility with an MPH.
      Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
      Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Obviously I don't know how to factor the kid thing into this situation, but I really feel like you should do this, even if it means spending $ on an MPH and a PA program. I know education is expensive, but like you said, if you love school you're getting more than just utility out of the deal. Also, like you said above, the sting of regret in not pursuing opportunities is really painful. I remember thinking 4 years ago I was "too old" to go back with a spouse in school already. Well, here I am 4 years older anyway and nowhere closer to where I want to be.

I hesitate to bring this up as I know finances are personal, but it's something I have to remind myself of from time to time: someday, more likely than not, DH will have a well paying job that can back both our loans. Obviously I'd be working too, but his future income makes the decision to go back a whole lot easier. It may mean that our financial goals change a bit in the first several years of practice, but it will mean we're both involved in careers that excite us, and that is a tough feeling to get. I'd pay good money to have it. Should something terrible happen and he not end up making good $, we'll cross that bridge. I'm tired of not taking opportunities because something bad "might" happen. Bad things always happen, and good things always happen too. May as well get mine while I can, you know?

It will be expensive and time consuming and exhausting, but it will be yours. That is worth a whole hell of a lot.

Comment

Well whatever you decide T&S, hopefully that info can be helpful at some point.
          Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X