Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

How do working moms do it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do working moms do it?

When my other children were younger, I just took classes at the local college/university. If one of them were sick or anything happened, I just stayed home.

Since actually entering the working world I have been slammed over the head with the 2x4 of reality.

You would think that since I only teach on MONDAYs and can reschedule any Friday things at a moments notice that there would be few glitches in my 'working woman' lifestyle, right? WRONG.

The kids are always off of school for something or one of them is sick. Last night, my friend who watches Aidan for me while I teach called to let me know that she has bronchitis and her husband has pneumonia . I didn't have the foggiest idea of what to do about today. I tried to convince Thomas to take the morning off.... ummm, ok..it was a dumb idea!

I ended up going to lab with Aidan (17 months). We were only supposed to be doing a peer review of a written assignment, so I had everyone turn in their papers and offered to look over them and make comments. Then I had everyone make an appt. to come to my office this week for 15 min. each to personally go over the assingments with each of them. I think they even get more out of it that way....and yet I felt like a fool standing in front of them with a 17 month old on my hip who kept pointing at them shouting "ball, ball, ball"

How do you guys do it?

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Its REALLY difficult for folks who don't have their kids in full time day care that also has a sick room to manage illnesses.

There is a franchise called Rainbow Station here in central VA that offers registeration for emergency sick room daycare for like$75 a day, you don't have to be a regular customer, just sign up for the service. YOu could call around and see if anyone there offers a similar service.

I gave up on trying to find part time day care for my son, but I fortunatley am a sah mom now. I am going to be hit by that 2x4 this August.

I managed to find one place that had a mother's morning out program that took one year olds and they let me keep DS in for a couple hours extra while I had an afternoon class, but it was the ONLY place out of at least 30 centers that would do it. Most places wouldn't even offer part time care for anyone under school age.

Good luck.

Comment

Kris,

I have no advice to provide, but I'd thought I'd say that I'm sure your students completely understand your situation and were probably very amused by Aidan calling them a "ball." You are doing a great job and you're putting too much pressure on yourself for what happened today. Things like this happen, and you did your best to serve everyone's needs. You are a great working woman and an even better mother!!!

Comment

Do you have a backpack to carry him in? Seriously! That is tough when you have to present in front of people.
        That's why I chose a day care/preschool center (rather than in-home care). Both have the pluses and minuses.
        As I am contemplating what and how I will do come next fall work-wise....I think of things like this.

I agree that your students probably found Aidan very entertaining!

Comment

These are the stories that always give me pause. Unless you have (and want to have) full time care for your kids, conflicts are unavoidable. Even parents I know that have very active work at home situations have care arranged for their young children. I would not want to put may sick children into sick child care or leave them unexpectedly with an untested center. Who would? Still, what choice do you have if your job is at stake? I know many stories of women threatened with job loss because of absences due to childcare issues. It sucks the big one. I don't know the answer, but I certainly can comisserate. Personally, I think you are doing your students a service everytime you bring a child in. It is time for people to realize that kids are not that easy to tuck away during job time. Maybe it will make your students more sensitive to the needs of parents, full-time, part-time and work at home. You go girl!
          Angie
          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Angie,

I told the kids "This is a 'life lessons' lab today"..."This is one of those weeks where I can "have it all....just not all at the same time".

Thanks for the support guys. The thing is, our U had spring break last week but my kids have spring break NEXT week...of course....I don't know why the spring breaks couldn't have been time to be the same week...all of our neighboring communities have different weeks off. I am stuck looking for childcare for NEXT monday, which is a wet lab and one I most definitely can't bring the kids too.

These are the times where I ask myself if it really is worth it at all.

kris
            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Wet lab? What kid doesn't like water?

Just kidding...I hope you can work something out. We need to find a way to beam kids for the iMSN babysitting co-op.

Comment

Kris,

All I can say is I'm sorry that today was your day to experience the joys of working (for a paycheck) while parenting. You know that you are not alone. I will stop here for fear of writing too much.

Kelly
                In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Have I ever mentioned that I think that it is normal for working moms to go from feeling triumphant (Hey, look I'm achieving in every area!) to defeated (Why can't I get my act together...why am I always late with stains on my clothes?) in less than three seconds?

Normal, normal, normal....

Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by kmbsjbcgb
                    Have I ever mentioned that I think that it is normal for working moms to go from feeling triumphant (Hey, look I'm achieving in every area!) to defeated (Why can't I get my act together...why am I always late with stains on my clothes?) in less than three seconds?

Normal, normal, normal....

Kelly
                    yep yep yep. And then there is "don't come into my office - I am pumping!" Ugh!

Miranda

Comment

Miranda--

Of course, my pump is currently missing a part so while I'm waiting for a replacement to be shipped, I go around with my leaky Dolly Partons....

I know, I know, I really do have to have better boundaries with what I share...

Kelly

Comment

Leaky Dolly Partons. That's great.

I too remember posting the "Do Not Enter" sign. Of course, there are a few curious people who just have to ask why and then.... :!

Comment

Originally posted by nmh
                          I too remember posting the "Do Not Enter" sign. Of course, there are a few curious people who just have to ask why and then.... :!
                          Yesterday I was in my office in the middle of pumping and suddenly I heard someone put a key into the door and start opening it. AHHHH! I screamed and asked the person not to come in. Well, now I have told my (guy) coworkers to warn people not to come in if the door is closed.

Leaky Dolly Partons. I will store that one with "pounding flesh" (mammograms).

Comment

Just had to post this even though the thread seems to have died out a little while ago; I had to pump at work a couple times a day for a while, and one time while pumping in an empty patient room, the transporter came from the OR to get a bed Let's just say, I 'm sure HE learned a lesson about what a Medela Pump in Style is I used to have similar close calls when I would go in the call room. Once there was a resident asleep in the top bunk and I almost didn't see him....the girls were out of their giant sling and ready to be pumped when oops! ....there's somebody up there asleep!!

Comment

Working...
                            X