Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Retirement to speak of?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our fellowship interview costs will probably be around 2k when all is said and done. I had a ton of Southwest miles saved up, so almost all of DH's interview flights have been free. (Minus this most recent trip to NY.) He has stayed with friends and/or split hotel rooms with other interviewees all along the way. We're in a unique situation because one of his co-residents is applying in the same specialty and they have had almost all of the same interviews. Splitting costs like taxis/car rentals/etc has also helped up save quite a bit.

Comment

I've never been so glad that DH's fellowship crap was so low key. We had literally zero costs for his fellowship. He applied at and was accepted at his home program.

Comment

Clarification: Fellowship expenses vary widely from subspecialty to subspecialty. Some fellowships are awarded by phone call and some are formal, competitive matches with ROL and match days with low overall matching percentages, meaning more interviewing expenses.
        In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Hell we could stay at the same program all the way through, but have and will still rack up interview costs because you don't know til you matched!
          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
            Hell we could stay at the same program all the way through, but have and will still rack up interview costs because you don't know til you matched!

Yea I guess if it's a competitive sub specialty you can't be too careful.

So now I'm thinking save $100 a month for the next two years AND not spend CC points to use for flights/hotels.

Comment

Fellowship interview expenses? *shudder*
              Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

I think you are doing fine for the stage you are in. The big thing is to avoid debt if you possibly can..

Now I know it was 23 years ago, but how are you spending that much for residency/fellowship interviews? My hubby got in his car and drove and then they arranged for him to sleep at one of the current resident's places. I remember one week he took a road trip and interviewed in 3 states. We did have some money packed away, but not the amounts you are looking at. But then we weren't looking at places on either coast because of the cost either. Nor did we want to be in the North. 8,000 I cannot imagine..

Comment

Originally posted by spaz View Post

Now I know it was 23 years ago, but how are you spending that much for residency/fellowship interviews? My hubby got in his car and drove and then they arranged for him to sleep at one of the current resident's places. I remember one week he took a road trip and interviewed in 3 states. We did have some money packed away, but not the amounts you are looking at. But then we weren't looking at places on either coast because of the cost either. Nor did we want to be in the North. 8,000 I cannot imagine..
                  We don't have any fellowships for DH's sub-specialty within driving distance, so plane tickets and local transport (car rental/Super Shuttle/etc) eat up a lot. He tries to stay w/people we know, but that's not an option for every location.

Comment

Working...
                  X