Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Medical Stocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical Stocks

In reviewing our year end financial report from our FA I noticed that we owned Medtronic stock. While its a great company, DH uses their products and he thought we should divest it so that he doesn't have to report it when he gives talks, etc. When I told the FA's they wanted to schedule a 10-15 minute conference call with us before they did. (Which is tomorrow so I don't know yet what they're going to say.)

So I'm curious do you guys own medical stocks in your portfolios? If so, does your DH disclose it when he gives talks, etc.?
    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

No. For that exact reason.

I also have to be EXTREMELY careful that none of our stocks are owned by companies in bankruptcy. I cannot have a conflict of interest.

Comment

DH's company just became publicly held. It is the only medical related stock we currently hold, but DH discloses his employment by them as a possible conflict of interest anyway.
      -Deb
      Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

We do not for those same reasons you mentioned. However, I am curious to learn what your FAs say...they may have a totally different take on things.
        Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

I'll report back

Comment

DD1 was given some stocks when she was born in a med company, but it isn't worth jack shit. The person who bought them for her was LIVID that they were barely worth pennies.

Comment

Seems like putting a lot of your eggs in the basket of medicine. If things go south for physicians and their salaries, it seems reasonable they could go south for Medtronic at the same time. I don't know about the disclosure aspect.

We own relatively small positions in two large-cap health care stocks. But of course we also own practically the whole sector in proportion according to its market cap -- a slight tilt to small-cap -- thanks to our emphasis on index investing. Let's see, 12.42% of 33% of our portfolio is in the health care sector?
              Last edited by spotty_dog; 01-16-2014, 09:51 AM.
              Alison

Comment

This has made me curious; how does disclosure work with investments in mutual funds? I don't even know what companies the funds are invested in (should I?); is there some threshold below which disclosure is a non-issue? Am I just showing what an idiot I am about investing, here?
                Sandy
                Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

No I've wondered about that too...

Comment

Originally posted by poky View Post
                    This has made me curious; how does disclosure work with investments in mutual funds? I don't even know what companies the funds are invested in (should I?); is there some threshold below which disclosure is a non-issue? Am I just showing what an idiot I am about investing, here?
                    No, I was wondering the same thing.

Comment

We have stocks with several medical and energy companies. and I have to disclose that I have a conflict of interest. Usually I throw it on there when I give an introduction.
                      Brandi
                      Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Originally posted by poky View Post
                        You might want to keep tabs on your actively managed funds, to be sure that you know where they are and that they're where you want to be. Since my index funds stick with market weight, there's not much to think about, but it can be fun to have an idea what you own. For example, when DH laments we don't have any Apple, I can point out that actually, we own about $4500 of Apple. You can get that info in your fund's prospectus.
                        Alison

Comment

DrK is divesting his medical stocks since he's finished residency. He felt that owning them may be construed as a conflict of interest.
                          Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

I've always "dug down" into my investments. When I was working in Nicotine Dependence Treatment, not being invested in any tobacco companies (which is incredibly challenging) was a requirement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                            -Deb
                            Wife to EP, just trying to keep up with my FOUR busy kids!

Comment

DH put a lot into Somanetics because he really believed in their product. (forced air warmer...) Yeah, we lost 30K of our investment and they ended up getting bought out. He doesn't buy stocks anymore. That could have been a new car!!

ETA: DH never had to disclose it

Comment

Working...
                              X