Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Movie Star Crushes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movie Star Crushes

Patrick Swayze in Dirty Dancing. I was very surprised upon re-viewing the movie recently to see that his character is supposed to be a bit of a meathead in that movie--wasn't how my 12-year-old self perceived it!

(Much to my surprise, my husband had never seen the movie and wasn't even familiar with the plot! Thanks to my altruistic work, he can now use a "Nobody puts Baby in a corner" quote in proper context.)
    Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

I can't reply to this because all of the crushes I have ever had a really quite embarrassing.

Seriously, no one has ever been "in love" with a more sad group and long-line of losers than me. I have had grown women laugh at me when I tell them my list of hottest guys - then and now. Seriously, the dorkiest things get to me. I am a sad, sad case.

This must be why I am with a dawkter.
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I loved Dirty Dancing. I haven't seen it in ages but it would be interesting to see it with a different perspective. I had the soundtrack (cassette tape!) and listened to it A LOT.

Comment

Originally posted by Momof4
        Originally posted by heidi
        I can't reply to this because all of the crushes I have ever had a really quite embarrassing.

Seriously, no one has ever been "in love" with a more sad group and long-line of losers than me. I have had grown women laugh at me when I tell them my list of hottest guys - then and now. Seriously, the dorkiest things get to me. I am a sad, sad case.
        Okay, now I'm curious. We promise we won't laugh, I've had some pretty dorky crushes myself

Tara
        No, no. You can't promise you won't laugh, because then you would be lying. Plus, you can't speak for the other people who will surely laugh.

Comment

I'll laugh.

Of course, you can laugh at me when you read that I kept a scrapbook of Mick Jagger newspaper clippings under my bed throughout high school. I think I still have it. Sad. Particularly when I look at the man now!!!

Now, Johnny on the other hand....he's just gotten better with age. Yum.

Can I help you tune that guitar, sir? Please??

I'll fight you for him ladybug!!

Who else? There were so many. Donny Osmond in 2nd grade. Rick Springfield. (Oh how I wished that I was Jessie's Girl. ) And most recently an odd fascination with Russell Crowe - despite all indications that he is an overbearing idiot.

Spill it, Heidi.

[/url]
          Angie
          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Heidi you tease!

I'm convincing myself it's Crispin Glover in Back to the Future until you tell us the real deal.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”

Comment

Ohhhh. That's a good barb, Julie.

Comment

Heidi,

This will have to make you feel better......my all-time biggest crush was/is on James Garner around the time that the Rockford Files was on tv.....late 70s? My mom used to let us stay up "late" on the night it was on so we could watch it (and Quincy, too, which was on afterwards) and I LOVED watching that man.

WGN plays re-runs of Rockford at 10 a.m. right now, which corresponds nicely with the time I get home from the gym. I hurry through my shower so I can watch while I get dressed, etc. (and sigh wistfully......)

Other crushes......Erik Estrada, Shawn Cassidy, Tom Cruise (Top Gun era) although I was in college by then and finding that attainable males were *much* more exciting! I had a thing for Patrick Swayze, too, and Ralph Macchio.

But nobody can replace Jimmy in my heart. (Let's ignore the fact that he is roughly the same age as my Dad, shares some of my Dad's mannerisms, and became "interesting" to me shortly after my Dad divorced my mother....... )

Sally
                Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Sally, you're not the only one! The college roommate of the woman who owns the bakery where I worked LOVED James Garner. To the point where it was memorable enough almost 20 years later for her to share that with me.

I think my biggest crush must have been Tom Cruise, also from the Top Gun era. It doesn't fit at all now because I think he is a total f***nut and I don't find him at all attractive. Oh, I really liked Val Kilmer, also Top Gun era. Can you tell that was one of the videos that my best friend owned? She had a ginormous crush on Prince (yes, Prince!) and knew more about him than was healthy. She also had a huge crush on Davy Jones from The Monkees. We went to the concert together. I wonder if I still have the t-shirt at my dad's house.

Comment

My list of crushes:

10 yrs- Rick Springfield.
                    11 yrs- Corey Feldman.
                    12 - 15? Jordan Knight of NKOTB. I even stood in line at the mall with my baby (Ryan 1 or 2 at the time) in a stroller as an adult to have him sign a CD for me. After seeing him on TV since, he not only was in NKOTB, but is a huge loser! Bleck. I had posters, pillow cases. The whole nine yards. I had planned out our wedding. I was 12, okay?

I have even favored Tom Cruise. Can't believe I admitted that.

As an adult, I have liked:

Stone Phillips - Yes, the dorky Dateline guy. I'm into the voice, okay.
                    Ewan McGregor - It's the accent- and he sings in a musical! (Good hell, I honestly need to shut up now).
                    Hugh Grant - Accent. The dorkiness. People say my husband resembles him - forget the fact that he gets BJs from hookers.

Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom are also very, very hot, but I didn't like Johnny Depp much until the last couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by heidi
                      Ewan McGregor - It's the accent- and he sings in a musical! (Good hell, I honestly need to shut up now).
                      Oh! Did you see Long Way Round on Bravo? It's a documentary series where he does a round-the-world motorcycle trip with his friend Charlie? I wasn't particular fan before, but watching that I was like "Wow, this is really an attractive guy. . ." Plus all the crazy world-traveler stuff that happens to them is really interesting (actually more interesting than the movie-star angle, but their personalities and the way they react to everything is what makes it so watchable). It's been released on DVD now if you haven't previously seen it. It's Ewan-riffic.

Comment

Heidi...Rick is all mine. Glad you are over that. I saw him a few years back doing a bit on the Today show and he pulled some middle aged woman out of the crowd and put her in between him and the guitar while he played a song. Oh my. I was jealous. I admit. Very sad that my fantasies now involve the Today show.

Of course, I'd forgotten all about him before I saw the show. The love came right back.
                        Angie
                        Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                        Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Let's see-

as a little girl it would have been Donny Osmond and David Cassidy. (just heard "I Think I Love You" and of course sang along, out loud...)

As a teen, of course Tom Cruise (Top Gun), Richard Gere (An Officer and a Gentleman) and any other person dead or alive in uniform. Although Johnny Depp and Brad Pitt, like fine wines, continue to age oh so well. Oh, and Larry Mullen, Jr, from U2. Damn, he's fine.

As an adult: Drew Carey (because you KNOW you'd have a good time on a date), Jimmy Smits (whew, did I have a dream about him a few weeks ago...), and George Clooney.

and Hillary.

Jenn

Comment

Peter Vidmar and Mitch Gaylord- gymnasts from the 1984 Olympics
                            Duran Duran in the 9th grade
                            Thomas C. Howell
                            Ralph Macchio
                            Tom Cruise (Top Gun Only)
                            Patrick Swayze
                            Jake from Sixteen Candles
                            Kirk Cameron from Growing Pains
                            Current: Matthew McConaughey
                            Needs

Comment

Typical crushes: Ewan McGregor, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Clive Owen, Jude Law (not so much after the cheating), Adam Pascal (singing!)
                              Dorky crushes: Anthony Michael Hall (I was young )
                              Not very typical crushes: Sean Penn, Vince Vaughn (he's so funny)

I should stop before DH gets too jealous
                              Danielle
                              Wife of a sexy Radiologist and mom to TWO adorable little boys!

Comment

Working...
                              X