Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Frizzy Hair Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had the most success with the Mixed Chicks system. My cousin's best friend owns the company.

Comment

Originally posted by Jane View Post
      I tried too. Day 1 was okay. Today is day 2 ... day 3 will involve shampoo for SURE. Today looked like I hadn't bothered to bathe at all ... do you not re-apply your hair product??
      Try shampooing ever other day for a couple of weeks. Once your scalp gets used to it, you can increase the time between washings. I condition every day and use product every day.
      Kris

Comment

Not shampooing every day?! I can't imagine! But I work out every day and I also have straight, fine hair. Ladymoreta, I was in Sephora today and I thought of you and this thread. They have huge pics in their window with before/after pics of women using some anti-frizz product that I am assuming is new...here is the link:

http://www.sephora.com/browse/brand_...d=Living+Proof

Good luck!

Comment

Oof...my hair is merely wavy and I look like the before photos. The girl at the bottom of before/after looks better in her before pic than the after "curl defining" one.

Comment

I have straight hair with no body at all. I would pay for even a little frizz!!!!
            Luanne
            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I wasn't able to get to the store this weekend, but the shampooing every other day has helped a lot! I have been rinsing and using conditioner every day. I kind of cheated today and used a tiny dab of shampoo around my face, where my hair gets especially greasy. Hopefully my hair will adjust soon so it doesn't get so greasy so fast.

We went out to dinner on Wednesday, and I decided to try curling my hair. It was a conditioner-only day. Usually curls fall out and/or go frizzy within minutes, but my hair still looked great after dinner. I was amazed!
              Laurie
              My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

When I don't use shampoo, I am still washing my hair. But I wash it with conditioner and lots of water. My hair still feels clean and is clean. I also have very thick, dry, curly hair. So I don't have to worry about it getting oily. It seems like us curly girls are always searching for that perfect holy grail regime!

Comment

Christine you should try the Mixed Chicks products. I love that they still leave your hair soft versus crunchy or sticky like some of the other products out there tend to do. Their system is cheaper than the Aveda products as well, which I have used too. Your boys would be too cute in one of their "Mixed Chicks Rock" t shirts.

Comment

I have definitely heard about them Davita. But I'm just over buying expensive products for my hair. I really have found that just leaving my conditioner in works the best. But in a few months or so, I might get bored and try their products. This is the hair regime I follow. It is awesome and cheap!
                    http://www.biracialhair.org/Welcome.aspx

I'm also still getting the "Why don't you just straighten your hair?" from family members. Why? Because this is the hair I was born with. So annoying.
                    Last edited by Chrisada; 07-29-2009, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the info Christine. I think it's "funny" [not really] that you mentioned the straight hair thing. The black guys that I dated always loved my hair straightened. Both my cousin and I are married to white guys and both of them hate it when we straighten our hair. An entirely different issue having nothing to do with this thread. My oldest cousin has always rocked her hair. I wish I could rock mine like hers. This Midwest humidity really makes it hard.

Comment

I was born with ultra-curly hair. In all of my little girl pics I have this ring of fuzz around my head.

As an adult I got it tamed to ringlets by using the John Frieda products (which were new on the market at that time). And, I never, ever dried my hair with a towel like you sometimes see on tv - I gently pressed it (never twisted it) and let it air dry. Since my hair is so incredibly thick that could take awhile - so I only washed it every few days. It worked well because my very naturally kinky hair is very dry as well.

I discovered as I got older that the easiest way for me to live with this kind of hair (and take care of everything else in a very busy life) was to keep it very short. The problem then became that my curly hair became completely unmanageable. It's hard to explain, but my curls will not go in a direction I want. They are WILD.

I also discovered that having my hair colored or even just highlighted adds smoothness to my individual strands of hair (which, if you look at them are quite oval - not round like straight hair). I think it's because the conditioners and other chemicals cause this.

So, now I have very short hair (four inches at the absolute longest), heavily highlighted, and very thinned out (called texturizing). I use the TIGI Control Freak products (shampoo, conditioner, and the gel that looks like snot). Those seem to tame my hair the best and keep long-lasting results. I blow-dry my hair and then use a straightening iron to get it all smooth. Using those products my hair will last like this (straight and smooth - no frizz) for about three days. Then the curl starts coming back in the form of cow-licks (the first stage ) and I have to wash, dry, and straighten again.

I also wear a shower cap in the shower (or take baths) because the intense humidity of the shower WILL cause my hair to kink up. And, if I get it wet at all? Forget about it!

The other product I really like (and use) is the finishing serum by Frizz-ease. I put it on after straightening so my hair doesn't look too parched. It seems to do a good job of replacing the nearly non-existent oils my scalp should be producing.

DH misses my curly hair. He wishes I would grow it all out and go back to maintaining ringlets. But it was just SO HARD. I am at peace with my hair right now.
                        Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                        With fingernails that shine like justice
                        And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Originally posted by Jane View Post
                          I tried too. Day 1 was okay. Today is day 2 ... day 3 will involve shampoo for SURE. Today looked like I hadn't bothered to bathe at all ... do you not re-apply your hair product??

I think that going without shampooing works best for people with very dry scalps. I think a lot of people naturally produce enough oils to be able to shampoo every day.

As for myself - I do reapply a specific hair product on the second day that I don't shampoo - the Frizz-ease finishing serum/lotion. I have to apply less on the second day. And, by the third day, I actually have some natural oils in my hair (and, plenty of product!) so I don't need to apply it.
                          Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                          With fingernails that shine like justice
                          And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

TIGI Control Freak products (shampoo, conditioner, and the gel that looks like snot).
                            Yup. I was recommending that gel that looks like snot. Green, sparkly snot. But it works.
                            Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Originally posted by madeintaiwan View Post
                              The black guys that I dated always loved my hair straightened. Both my cousin and I are married to white guys and both of them hate it when we straighten our hair.
                              I don't think I've ever seen you with straightened hair. Except maybe in that one picture in your living room.

And an update on my washing / conditioning. I'm trying the every other day thing, and it's working well. My hypothisis is that once winter rolls around and it's not so damn humid, I'll be able to stretch it out a bit longer.

Comment

I often rock the shower cap.. Once moisture hit this hair WATCH OUT. There is not enough room for me and my hair, when that happens.
                                Brandi
                                Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X