Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Postpartum and general mommy fashion help thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postpartum and general mommy fashion help thread

So girls, what are your problems, questions and concerns? Lilly and I will do our best to help you out and get you out of the yoga pants and clogs.

mandals too?
    Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Oh, please. Help Me!

I was just telling DrK today that I just cannot get used to my post-partum body. I'm 4 months post partum. Pretty much back to my pre-pregnancy weight but about 1" bigger in the hips and 2 cup sizes larger in the bust. Can't find my bra size in stores except for those horrible looking grandma bras with 4 hooks up the back. Otherwise, I came out pretty good. Still have an hourglass figure and slender legs. I'm not complaining about my new figure overall but I just don't know how to dress it.

Also, now that I'm a momma, I need to change my uniform. The silk shirts and pretty suits I used to wear really don't fit the job. I need clothes that are easy, washable (now that I'm the human burp cloth), and since I'm nursing, easy and discrete access to the girls is important. Also, tops need to cover more now that I have to keep the grandma nursing bra under wraps. Can't stand wearing my yoga pants, jeans that don't quite fit, and loose tops. I'm thinking tunics? I dunno. Help!

ETA: I should add, I'm petite. 5'2" and wore a size 4P/2 before pregnancy. I've tried going up a size but I still have a small waist and narrow shoulders. And I've spent my whole life in high healed shoes which aren't necessarily momma-friendly either.
      Last edited by MrsK; 04-18-2010, 05:29 PM.
      Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Must give a shout out for Spanx bras. So comfy, fit well (no back bulge) and they clasp in front. Can't say how they compare to maternity/BF bras but can say I look better in my clothes. They are not sexy at all but also not the granny bras with the 4 hooks either.
        Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

Mrs K, do you nurse in public often? I only wear nursing tops at home and my regular old ones outside, since I prefer to bottle feed (pre-pumped milk) in public. As for the jeans and pants in general, if you stick to a lower rise that sits on the hips, you won't have to worry about them fitting both your waist and hips. As for the heels, I find that wedges tend to be more stable than heels but also give me the height I need.

Comment

Yes, I nurse in public often. At home, I've been wearing pjs -- having changed out of my work clothes the minute BabyK comes home. Though I still have the accessiblity problem at work because I need to get to the girls for pumping and prefer not to get entirely undressed.

Low-rise jeans/pants have never worked for me. I've always had a little belly and now that I'm post-partum the belly looks like a deflated baloon.

Comment

I don't want to hijack, but be careful about spending a ton of cash on bras. I have been three different cup sizes in the past year with pregnancy, nursing, and now weaning.

Kelly
              In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I went shopping this week and bought two pairs of capris (I love my calves but hate my thighs) and lots of tops, some at Express and Macy's. My biggest issue is bra size, I know I need to go have a professional sizing done now that I'm done breastfeeding/pumping and having kids. I also need tops that minimize the pooch I still have at my belly button line. I carried Robert all in the front and the tummy isn't going back very quickly.
                Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
                  Yes, I nurse in public often. At home, I've been wearing pjs -- having changed out of my work clothes the minute BabyK comes home. Though I still have the accessiblity problem at work because I need to get to the girls for pumping and prefer not to get entirely undressed.

Low-rise jeans/pants have never worked for me. I've always had a little belly and now that I'm post-partum the belly looks like a deflated baloon.
                  For work tops, what about tanks that have a shelf bra build in and unhook from the straps with a cardigan or a button down on top. That way you don't have to undress at all to pump and can unhook one side at a time to nurse, while being covered on the bottom and sides the whole time. As for the jeans/pants, have you tried rises that come up to the bellybutton but still sit below the natural waist? I just can't get behind high waisted pants. sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzySunshine View Post
                    I went shopping this week and bought two pairs of capris (I love my calves but hate my thighs) and lots of tops, some at Express and Macy's. My biggest issue is bra size, I know I need to go have a professional sizing done now that I'm done breastfeeding/pumping and having kids. I also need tops that minimize the pooch I still have at my belly button line. I carried Robert all in the front and the tummy isn't going back very quickly.
                    Cheri, aim for tops that hit your mid-hip. I wouldn't go for anything too roomy and flow'y as that would only make you seem wider. Layering and prints will also take attention away from that area.

Comment

Yes on the belly button rise pants. That's what I was doing pre-pregnancy. Now they are falling down on me when I go a size up but I still can't fit in the pre-preggo size. The cartigan with the nursing tank works for work -- the button down shirts not so much because if it fits the bust, it doesn't fit in the shoulders. The nursing tank w/ cartigan combo is not so good for public nursing because you have to expose the breast entirely with the nursing tanks and then use a nursing cover. I prefer to do the nursing tank under a shirt -- lift the shirt and put baby under -- though I'm not sure this will work in summer when it is hotter than blazes out here. Also, this is not fashionable because of (1) the machine washable component is very limiting, (2) I try to stick to patterned fabrics that don't show milk/spit-up, and (3) it's hard to find structured tops that fit the first criteria and that also have enough room to lift up and nurse. I'd love it if you could make recommendations for tops. Also, I hate that I can't wear dresses and nurse!

Comment

Re: Postpartum and general mommy fashion help thread

Some of the nursing clothes can work. Some just look silly. The wrap style nursing tops workedthe best for me. Expressiva is one company.

For the double shirt nursing, I bought cheap tanktops with large necks, and I just pull the neck below my boob. Since they are cheap they stretch easily and they are thin enough to wear under another shirt. Not fashionable but only visible when my shirt is lifted and better than my belly.

4 months post partum is still early. Your waist/hips will probably still change some more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I have very limited experience with public nursing, but would think that carrying a cover/scarf that can be thrown over the baby would be easier than find tops that would limit exposure and have easy access all in one. I did see some nursing dresses on Gap's site but I don't believe their structure allowed for public nursing.

What about sweaters/vests that have really long tail-like sides, could you throw that over the baby as a cover? I'm talking about something like this, . Cotton cardigans are usually washable and prints would mask spit up stains better than solids, AT and Loft have some nice short sleeve ones that would be great for the summer (http://www.anntaylorloft.com/catalog...zeType=Regular). As for the button downs, I would get ones that fit in the shoulders and not button them all the way up, since you'll have a tank underneath anyway.

Check out this site, http://www.mommygear.com/blissfulbab...g-wear.htm#524 I think they have some interesting items.

Comment

Re: Postpartum and general mommy fashion help thread

Neither of my boys would nurse with a cover. As it is, Kai pushes up my shirt to get it off his head. Some moms are able to train their babes to tolerate it though. You probably want to start early and use it at home too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

4p? I think the last time I was a 4p was in 7th grade. Jealous!

I love this thread. Any ideas for tops/sweaters that don't drape, but do a good job of hiding the pouch?
                              married to an anesthesia attending

Comment

Working...
                              X