Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

How much would you spend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much would you spend?

Okay, for each of these items, I want to know how much you spend on average, and how much would be your absolute limit that you could imagine spending on the perfect item.

1. Jeans

2. Shoes

3. Handbag/Purse

Let's play for fun!
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

I am CHEAP. At most, 30 each.
    -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
    Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
    Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

1. Jeans - I spend about $20, on average, for a pair of jeans. If I found the perfect pair that made me look 3 sizes smaller and my butt was to die for in them, I would spend $60, max (never have though).

2. Shoes - I spend about $20, on average, for a pair of shoes. If I found the perfect running shoes, I would maybe spend up to $75, but for dress shoes or cute shoes, I think my max would be more like $40, and they better be spectacular.

3. Purse - I spend about $20, on average, for a purse, and I use it until it DIES, dead. I don't change purses. If I found a perfect designer purse that I loved, I think my absolute max I would ever spend would be about $120. The most I have ever spent on a purse is $50 to date.

So, am I cheap? Are you the same way?
      Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I think as I get older and actually have a job that brings in money, I might go up a bit. Heidi, your thoughts are exactly how I feel, but I don't know that I could go up to 60 for jeans. I am rough on my clothes and thus I like going to places like Plato's closet and buying second hand jeans cheap so when I wear them out in a year I don't feel too badly about it. I love my 40 dollar levi's I got for 12 bucks.
        -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
        Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
        Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

I'm a diva.

For everyday jeans I would spend $50-90. For a good pair of jeans I used to spend $200. I haven't done this since we lived in Seattle because I've been pregnant for 6 years. Right now I have OK jeans in various sizes. I can't wait to be one size again and I will definitely splurge when I'm out of my 4th trimester. I usually have one pair of awesome jeans and then a couple of everyday.

Shoes: average $80 and most would be $300 for knee length leather boots. Considering the kind of shoes I *like* but would never buy I think this shows significant self-restraint.

Purse: I have a large price range from everyday purses I've sewn to the Louis Vuitton that DH bought me in Montreal. Now with so many kids and expenses I won't spend that much again, but I consider anything under $200 reasonable.
          -Ladybug

Comment

jeans--up to $50

shoes--most expensive pair i've bought, my boston birkenstocks. i got them 8+ years ago and they're still going strong. my mom just gave me her black ones that she hardly wore...so, now i have two. they were about $120. i have a pair of columbia hiking shoes that i spent about $100 on. also about 8+ years ago. (can you see a trend? BEFORE dh started med school)

i don't carry a purse, don't like them. i have a wallet or clutch. usually bought from target $20 max
            ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

Jeans- It wouldn't matter. If I found some that fit and looked good, I'd buy them. Luckily, so far the Gap has been the place where I found them- so I think I paid 50-ish. It's too hot for jeans most of the time though so I only wear them for two months out of the year.

Shoes- not more than $100. I've purchased some Birkenstocks that were really expensive but since my feet always hurt, they're worth it. Again, it's too hot here fo closed toe shoes most of the time- so most of my $ is spent summery shoes which don't cost as much.

Purses- I hate purses. I think they're a big fat PITA so I spend as little as possible. I have one Land's End preppy purse w/ my monogram that I use in the summer and a couple cute summer purses from Target. I still hate them though. My go to bag is my ancient Coach leather bag that I throw everything in when I have to go to the gym. Yes, my gym bag is a Coach. but it's OLD.

Jenn

Comment

1. Jeans--avg. $10-$25 (I usually try and find them on clearance) Most--$70

2. Shoes--Avg. $15-$25, Most $100 ("custom fit" running shoes--they work wonders!)

3. Handbag/Purse--Avg. $10 Most $25. I don't like to buy expensive purses, because I feel like that makes them more of a target. That being said, Future MIL gifted me with a nice Coach for my birthday and I do love it.
                Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Jeans - $60 - I figure out a brand I like and figure out my size and then I get them on Ebay. My current favs are Citizens which retail for between $120 and $200 but I've never spent more than $60 on them. This is my rule because THEN I have to get them tailored since they're usually approx 4 inches too long.

Shoes - Running shoes? $80. Work shoes? $40 Going out/other shoes $20 and those are usually flip flops. I wish I could get more style...

Handbag - It used to be <$20 but I just SPLURGED a few months ago and got a leather purse of a type that I'd been coveting for 10 years (it was actually thanks to whoever posted about a Kate Spade sale - I think it was Vishenka). I figured that if you've been coveting a purse since high school, you can probably invest because you'll like it for a looooooong time....
                  Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                  Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Jeans - I usually spend $50 to $60. If there were some amazing jean that made my ass look 10 sizes smaller, I'd probably shell out more, but $50/$75 is my comfort level.

Shoes - Usually around $100. I have awful feet (I call them Hobbit feet), and after years of shelling out on cheapo shoes, I've learned that a quality shoe costs $ and I need to be willing to spend it to get the most out of my feet. My usual range is $75 to $100, but if there were something that could be worn most days and had great advantages for my feet, I'd probably go up to $200. I would never, never spend more than that on a flashy heel or something. I wear heels 1 to 2 times a YEAR.

Purses - Generally $100 to $200. I love purses. They're my "it always fits" love affair that I never got to have with shoes.

Comment

Jeans - I live in jeans & denim capri pants. Most I spend would be $50-60 and that would be a splurge. I somehow stumble upon bargains and end up finding really good deals -- 7 jeans for $10. No kidding.

Shoes - I'm a shoe whore. I don't care the brand/price range. If they're adorable and not more than $40-50, I want them. Most I've spent -- $90 on olive green anaconda skin pumps. But I do get a high off a good bargain -- $325 Charles David sky high strappy sandals with a rose for $36. But I also love the $3 Target flip flops.

Purse - I carry a Dooney & Burke that retailed $275. It was mis-tagged at $235. But I got it when I opened a Macy's account so there was 10% off. And another 20% off my total bill. I'd spend $200 again if hubby would let me.
                      Veronica
                      Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Jeans, around $60. I love Gap's Long & Lean, they always fit. I did find a pair in my size at the consignment shop for $15. Shoes, around $40 to $50. Boots $100 to $150. I hate shoes, but I have found that it is just a waste of $$$$ if your feet hurt, so I would pay more if I needed to. Purses, I HATE THEM!!!!!!!!!!! My daughter told me that I needed to stop carrying a Drug Co bag as my purse, and she bought me a beautiful brown leather coach purse, and I use it when I need a purse. Usually I just stuff things in my lab coat pockets. I never take my wallet into the hospital, so I usually keep my wallet in the trunk of the car when I am at the hospital.
                        Luanne
                        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Fabulous, wonderful, perfect jeans? Priceless. I love jeans. If they were really that amazing, I bet I'd pay $100 or more. I wear them all the time. It is like paying for a great haircut--I'd enjoy them every day.

Shoes? I hate shoe-shopping. I hate shoes. I don't know. A really great pair for an important occasion? Maybe $40 or $50 bucks. (My wedding shoes came from a discount store for $35, and that was painful to spend).

Purses? Not a purse girl. I am not even sure how much a nice purse should cost. A friend of mine bought a small, cream-colored Chanel purse for $1800. I thought it looked just like an $18 Nine West purse that was in the bargain bin across the aisle. I couldn't believe she paid that for a handbag.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayMatterWife View Post
                            A friend of mine bought a small, cream-colored Chanel purse for $1800. I thought it looked just like an $18 Nine West purse that was in the bargain bin across the aisle. I couldn't believe she paid that for a handbag.
                            I don't even have $1800 to carry in the purse. Heck, after the mortgage company takes their payment, there isn't even that much in my checking account! ha ha!
                            Veronica
                            Mother of two ballerinas and one wild boy

Comment

Re: How much would you spend?

Jeans: 100 avg. If I found a great pair I'd go up to whatever. I wear jeans almost everyday. I even have a pair of Juicy Couture maternity jeans that I love (i paid 100).

Shoes: for a particular outfit when I'm only gonna wear them once, 20...for sneakers I try to stay under 60 but if I need them or they fit great I'll spend whatever. I used to spend 100+ on running shoes.

Purses: I'm not much into purses but I did just buy a bag as a diaper bag for 80. Since I don't care about them my max would probably be 100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Working...
                              X