Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Laser Hair Removal/Reduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laser Hair Removal/Reduction

Has anyone tried it?
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Nope, but I'm glad you asked because I've been considering it.
    Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

I have done four rounds of it in the "bikini" area and am SO happy I have... Well worth the money! I could probably go for another session or two to get the exact results I am looking for. But yes, I would highly recommend it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Groupon had a laser hair removal special about a week ago for a clinic here. $99 for three sessions. I've always wanted to do my underarms but DrK is worried about scarring and the like. Should I be worried?

Comment

I did it in college. I did my sideburns.. stupid Jewish genes I didn't have any scars, and I was also told fair skin with dark hair is the best candidate. 8 years later, Its slowly starting to regrow, but not like it was before. They say to really keep it away you have to go for touch ups here and there. And yes, it hurt.
          -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
          Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
          Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

I've been thinking about doing this, but am nervous about it. I'd probably do my arms first, then legs. Underarms are so easy to shave--not time consuming like the legs are. And I have to shave every other day otherwise I get stubble, so this option sounds somewhat appealing. I guess I'm wondering how well it would work on me, because I've been waxing my eyebrows for 20 years already, and there is no decrease in hair growth there whatsoever, despite years of ripping the hairs from the follicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Rapunzel
              MrsK - My aesthetician (it's one of those "medical spas") said that the type of skin least likely to scar is very fair skin. The lasers do best on fair skin with darker hair (which is exactly what I have). The laser also picks up on any spider veins (which I've got as well). And, that hurts like the dickens.
              Well, I have very fair skin (when I was a kid living in south Florida, I used to be teased about my glow-in-the-dark paleness) and almost black hair so I should be good to go on that.

Other questions:

How invasive is the treatment for the bikini line? Is it totally humiliating?

Also, is it safe during pregnancy? No, I'm not expecting but we may start TTC before I can finish 6 sessions or whatever it would take.

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysideup View Post
                I've been waxing my eyebrows for 20 years already, and there is no decrease in hair growth there whatsoever, despite years of ripping the hairs from the follicles.
                LOL. Well I have been curious too, I would love to have my legs and underarms done...not not quite fair..i'm olivish..lol. How long are the sessions and do they automatically do your spider veins??

Comment

And what is the difference between laser removal and electrolysis?
                  Kris

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK

Other questions:

How invasive is the treatment for the bikini line? Is it totally humiliating?

Also, is it safe during pregnancy? No, I'm not expecting but we may start TTC before I can finish 6 sessions or whatever it would take.
                    I did the bikini area, and I would say that after you have kids nothing is as invasive or revealing as that I stay covered with a sheet thing on the area (not sure else how to put this! Lol) and they move the part that they are going to do at that moment.

Obviously it's going to be a bit revealing but they are usually very professional.

I am going to have to look into your second question...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I had electrolsis in high school on my upper lip. With electrolsis a thin wire is inserted into the hair shaft & a jolt of electricity is administered. The hair comes out easily with tweezers (no pulling just used to remove hair). You can only do so many hairs at a time & you use an ice pack after on the area because it's red & hot. Sort of like a bee sting. After about 20min with an ice pack ur fine. I had probably 12 to 15 treatments and still to this day have very little hair on my upper lip. I went about every two weeks.

I was under the impression that laser hair removal was faster, hurt less & is good for large areas. Electrolsis is best for small areas.
                      Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Laser hair reduction is supposed to attack the hair follicle to stop hair growth and it is not as perminant as electrolisis. The clinic made a point of telling me that it is "reduction" and not "removal."

Comment

I had it done on the bikini and underarm areas a few years ago. I can't remember how many treatments I went in for....either 4 or 5. Each treatment lasted only 10-15 minutes at the most. The dressing/undressing part took longer than the actual lasering. I had it done at a "medical spa" that was attached to a plastic surgeon's office and they were discreet as far as keeping the areas covered as much as possible. The place where I went does not do laser hair removal on pregnant women.

Comment

I haven't done any research, but how does the pricing vary? Do you have to sign up for a certain number of sessions or pay by the session?

Comment

Some places offer package pricing, but the place where I had it done did not. They did offer discounts if you had more than one area done in the same session. The Groupon deal that MrsK found sounds really, really cheap. Is that at a doctor's office? I would only have the treatments done by a dermatologist, plastic surgeon, or at a medical spa that is run by one. I think I paid around $300 or so per session and that was for two areas. That was a few years ago before the economy tanked so maybe prices have fallen quite a bit??

Comment

Working...
                              X