Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Black Friday 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yikes. Dh needs some shirts that are 50% off at Macys & O needs a comforter that's also on sale. Not sure if I should go tonight or wait until morning. The sales are good until 1pm. What to do. What to do.
    Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

MY PHONE is dying no longer accepts charges from the AC adapter heading to the Verizon store tomorrow!!

Comment

I figure if the stores open at midnight, I will still have an alcohol level, and should not be driving!!!!! We are having our "thanksgiving dinner" around midnight, so I will wait until Saturday.
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Well it was a success...for DH. He picked up this monstrosity (Christmas gift from me and my mom) for $300. Its so RIDICULOUSLY big for our tiny house!

Too bad I don't watch TV...almost Ever.
          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

lucky he wasn't headed for the $2 waffle irons or XBoxes. I think the various incidents around the country are pretty much appalling. How would people behave if we were truly, truly in dire straits and had to wait in line for necessities? Pepper spray? Rioting? http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_new...e-it-was-crazy

Comment

I woke up with a sore throat at 3 AM after getting home from the Ravens game at 1 AM. So we bagged it. I'm so mad though. The car seat we wanted went down $30 on Weds and I didn't pull the trigger, now it's back to the original price.
              Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
              Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I went. First time I've ever done the late night thing. I went to macys and it was crowded but calm. I saved 50% on two work shirts and a tie. The down comforter I wanted was posted $10 more than on the ad & they had no twin sizes. Went to toys r us but didn't get much. All the big deals were gone by then.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
                Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

I had decided to bag the whole thing, but ended up going out around 5:30pm just to see if Walmart still had the laptop I've been saving up for a few months to get for my mom. They had *just* pulled out 5 that had been kept in the back when I arrived and it was $150 LESS than I'd expected. I was in and out within 15 minutes.

Comment

I went and scored the only things on my list 2 iPod Touches for the girls. I got them at Target and between the 10% off Target coupon, the 5% discount for using a Target card, another coupon for $15 off a $150 purchase and the $40 Target gift card w/ purchase, I got them for $119 each. This was by far the most extravagant thing we've ever gotten the girls but I really didn't want to get another toy I would be throwing out next year and would take up a ton of space since we're moving.

I got to Target right at midnight when they opened and the line to get in the store was wrapped all the way around the back of the entire shopping center that Target was in! Target seemed to be very organized with everything and did a good job keeping order among the shoppers. Once inside I then had to stand in yet another line at the back of the store for electronics. I was worried they would sell out before I got to the front but it all worked out. Even better I was able to pay in electronics since I wasn't buying anything else. On my way out I noticed the line to pay was zigzaged through all the toiletry ailes Disney style. Those peeps were probably there for hours just to pay. I met a woman in line who had just come from Wal-Mart and said she witnessed a few trampolings, one was a poor old lady. Absolutely ridiculous! Another lady had to be removed by the cops for line cutting.
                    Charlene~Married to an attending Ophtho Mudphud and Mom to 2 daughters

Comment

Before we left my parents I talked to their neighbors across the street Friday night. They were about to have Thanksgiving dinner because they had been in line at best buy since 3pm WEDNESDAY and bought 4 TVS among other items. DH was standing with me and I could tell he was so pissed
                      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
                        Before we left my parents I talked to their neighbors across the street Friday night. They were about to have Thanksgiving dinner because they had been in line at best buy since 3pm WEDNESDAY and bought 4 TVS among other items. DH was standing with me and I could tell he was so pissed
                        Pissed? Because some strangers bought TVs?

For Small Business Saturday I got the chess set my son will be receiving from Santa, at the local toy shop. Also fell in love with a little picture that DH bought for me from a local gallery.
                        Alison

Comment

Because they bought 4 of the TV he wanted an there were 18 available at the store total. He got one that was fine at another store, just $100 more.

Comment

ST, I won't try to speak for spotty_dog, but I think her reaction was more along the lines of what Shakti posted. They're just TVs, you know?

I'm not saying this to try to excuse people's appalling behavior on Black Friday. I think people's actions are shaped by their experiences. Beyond that, it takes a certain level of intelligence and maturity to be able to wrap our heads around experiences we've never had and probably never will. I can see how ridiculous it is to fight over TVs and other electronics when there are people in other parts of the world fighting for meat or small luxuries like chocolate or a bottle of Pepsi, but that's because those are experiences I've had. As a child, however, I could not for the life of me relate to the starving kids who only dreamed of going to school while I complained about how awful my own life was. Maybe some people are unable to see past the little world around them. Why else would we need inspirational posters to remind us that we are luckier than the majority of the world if we have a roof over our heads and clean water?

I still find it shocking that people would get into physical fights over such things. Even when dealing with severely rationed food products, most people were too proud to stoop down to fighting. I find that very interesting because you'd think that people would go absolutely nuts when trying to meet their most basic needs. Apparently we are more irrational when it comes to wants instead of needs.
                            Cristina
                            IM PGY-2

Comment

Sorry. Didn't want to paint him as someone totally obsessed. The main reason he does it is because it is a fun tradition he, his brother, and my brother have done for the past 5 years. He wasn't truly upset...it was just ironic because he called me from Best Buy amazed at the amount of people already there at 6pm and lo and behold the crazies at the front of the line were the neighbors

Comment

Ah, LOL, I just thought you were saying he was mad because they bought them, or because they skipped Thanksgiving to buy them. Like...how does that affect your life? Sucks to be them blowing money on televisions and missing on family togetherness, but why get upset? But knowing he wanted and couldn't get that exact same TV, makes a little more sense.
                                Alison

Comment

Working...
                                X